Thinking Of Trying Thumb Picks...

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by antonkotmusic, Feb 3, 2015.

1. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

Hey Everyone

Does anyone here have any experience/advice on using thumb picks over flat picks?

I use Carbon Fiber Max Grip Jazz IIIs. out of all of the Jazz IIIs I've played/tried they are by far the best picks that I have ever used! but even those picks do slip occasionally due to the fact that my hands get very sweaty and clammy very easily :mad: :wallbash:

I'm generally a metal player and I was wondering if a heavy thumb pick (maybe with some filing) is a good alternative? Been thinking of trying one out...

Is it worth picking one up just to try or should I just invest in some chalk? :lol:

2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Have you tried the good ole celluloid Fender Heavey and Extra Heavy picks?

Those stick to my fingers like glue.

3. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

Yeah, they're not my thing...

Besides, I'm used to the Jazz III size now, normal picks feel huge :lol:

4. GoldDragon

Smaller ones have less surface area, more likely to move around. Something to think about. . .

I use a standard pick, Fender Heavy, and choke up on it. The problem with the stubbys is that if you need to strum they are not very good. But they do take some of the attack out of picking, smoothing it out and making it easier to go fast, but they dont sound as good, imo.

I've tried the lego picks, the plastic ones, the tortex, the graphite ones, the stubbys, the crystalline ones, the beveled ones, and I have always come back to a Fender medium or Heavy.

5. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

I recently started trying/using thumb picks as my instructor mentioned using and liking for hybrid/finger picking. They are kind of cool for finger style, though you have to work on balancing the attack of the pick with the attack of your fingers, but for strumming or alternate/economy picking I find that thumb picks limit the ways I can hold/angle the pick. I'm still working on it, and I'm sure it's doable, but I'm not sure I could recommend them as a solution for a grip/slipping problem. . . Just my two cents

6. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

Good point :agreed:

7. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

Yeah, this is the main thing I'm kind of worried about...

8. asher

asher So Did We

There's always trying Chris Broderick's Pick Clip, so you can keep using the Jazz III CFs.

They're also what I use. Even scoring larger picks with a blade hasn't helped much, no matter the material.

9. GoldDragon

Years ago when I was learning fingerpicking, I decided the best compromise for someone who was mostly a metal player was to learn how to use a flatpick to pluck the bas strings, and use the remaining three fingers to pluck and arpegiate.

Obviously not going to be as good a result. But using a thumb pick if you do alot of flatpicking or strumming is a really bad compromise, unless you do alot of finger picking. The problem with the thumb pick for alternate picking is that the pick is just too long and flexible to be accurate.

10. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

I have actually tried the Pick Clip, it just didn't feel right, even when I reshaped it a little - I tend to hold the pick more towards the tip of my finger and thumb, which generally works for me. :yesway:

I never tried it with a CF Jazz III, I did however try it with a Tortex Jazz III (pretty much the same size, from what I remember) and it just didn't work :rolleyes:

11. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

Which is why I though of a heavier gauge with some filing, from my previous experience with thumb picks...

12. GoldDragon

Order one of everything from Musicians Friend. If you spend $50 in picks to find one you like it is worth it.

13. antonkotmusic

antonkotmusic Anton Kot

:agreed: Haha never thought of that!

14. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

I use thumbpicks extensively for fingerstyle guitar and banjo, and sometimes use one for electric guitar as well. I've used Dunlop plastic thumbpicks, both standard and with the playing end filed down to a Jazz III-like profile. I've tried a lot of different thumbpicks for various applications, and my current preference is the ProPik Metal-Plastic thumbpicks, although the shape isn't especially conducive to fast alternate picking in my experience. I've thought about giving their thumb-flat a try as well, as it's basically Jazz III sized. Definitely try one or two of these out.

Guptill Music

15. Mvotre

Mvotre SS.org Regular

16. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

I think thumb picks would be really uncomfortable for metal. I ....ing love the Tortex Jazz IIIs. They stick when you want them to, and move when you need them to. I tried a lot of Jazz IIIs and the Tortex is the perfect one IMO.

17. guitarfreak1387

guitarfreak1387 squirrel chaser

Iv used a few thumb picks. They will require you to file them down a bit. Iv got mine roughly to the shape of a Jazz3 with the amount of the tip I let hang out. It still isn't the same feel, maybe a little reshaping of the pick angle it will feel more natural.

18. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Keep in mind you'll be saying goodbye to pinch harmonics permanently. That was my biggest issue when trying them out.

19. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

There are a ton of different shapes available for thumb picks because of that. Bigger stores tend to be lacking in selection but if you shop online (which sucks because you cant get a feel for it) or go to a store that deals in a lot of acoustics youd be amazed how many angle options there are.