Thinking about finally ditching current/future consoles

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by dhgrind, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'll still buy consoles, despite rarely using them. Some console exclusives are worth having, and sometimes a controller feels good. Plus there's the benefit of not being stuck at my desk to play games.

PC is definitely my preferred platform, but the portability and ease of use of consoles is just delightful. Certain games I'll never touch on console (I'm looking at you Overwatch,) but some games are just as fun/more fun to play while in bed/relaxing. (Skyrim/Fallout is great on both console and PC.)

2. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

The same applies to PC/Mac ... I e.g. play point & click adventures like the Deponia series on my DAW Macbook Pro ;)

3. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

my first gaming pc was built almost 10 years ago, i traded it for a laptop cause i kept moving back and forth between coasts.

I actually put up a bunch of stuff on eBay today and took half my house to the local goodwill equivalent to cash in all the crap i don't need to keep or never use.

looking to drop about 1000$ on the computer and another 6-800$ on peripherals, monitor, desk, and chair. I've already got a steam account, and i plan to knock out some old titles i've never gotten around to before getting into new AAA games that will hopefully hit a sale price by the time i get to it.

4. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Its not an argument on whats better. PC is and will always be better for gaming.

Its more so what suits the gamer. Children dont need a full fledged PC to game, so a plug and play experience is much more conducive to them. There is also what many gamers are simply used to after playing consoles since the late 80's. Some gamers are getting older and learning to operate a new platform might seem daunting or might just not interest them. They're not looking for top tier graphics, ultimate customization, and modding. They just want to get off work and blow some sh!t up.

For those complaining that PC gaming is too complex or that you just want to put a disk in and go, please consider the following:
    1. Putting a PC together is like a 8 piece lego kit now. You physically cant put things in the wrong spot because they wont fit. Its easy and actually pretty fun.

2. With a SSD for the OS and a large HDD for storage, your PC will boot faster than you think. You'll be at the desktop and ready to game in 15 seconds. Then you simply click on a game and wa-la. No disks to buy, lose, scratch up, or have your friends steal.

3. You do not have to constantly upgrade. I have replaced one part in two years, and the money I've saved with humble bundles and steam sales more than covered that part. You can also choose to upgrade often to stay current while a console is stuck with the tech and capabilities from the time it was designed.

4. 60fps and up looks so much better. There is no counter argument to this. Its just leaps and bounds better.

5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Uh, the counter argument is that it's subjective because I think 60fps looks wonky as FVCK.

Scientifically it's proven too - the human eye perceives anything moving at 24fps as fluid motion, so 30fps like most games/movies run at is considered 'normal.' When you take that and double it to 60fps, you're doubling the rate of motion and you get the Soap Opera Effect. Everything looks janky and separated from the environment, which breaks the suspension of disbelief.

If you want to say that it looks better, go ahead, but to say there's no counter and it's a fact is wrong.

6. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Wrong choice of words in my opinion ... replace "better" with "more powerful" and you are correct.

What is "better" though depends on personal preferences ;)

7. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Didn't play 360 much,. Use to play pc games when I was young and loved them. Medal of Honor and battle field 1942. The battery I put in my HP blew up on me last year so I replaced it was a Asus rog. Forgot how nice it was to play fps games on pc, so much better then Xbox. Tried playing bf4 on my brothers Xbox one and it was hell lol.

8. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

The 24fps thing is a joke. Here is a published, peer reviewed study on temporal gap detection, or the frequency in which your brain "renders frames" of your existence.
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2826883/
    Only the older adults consistently scored worse than 22ms, or about 45fps, and most young people seeing at least 55fps and much higher.

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Wait for this:

[​IMG]

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I get too distracted gaming on PCs, like on a console, I'm in my lounge room playing a game.

PC, I'm Alt+Tabbing and checking sevenstring, or reading some other bull..... I find it hard to immerse myself on a PC.

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think the soap opera effect you see when watching TV shows doesn't apply to games like that. When a game renders 60fps, it's literally rendering 60fps. The soap opera effect, as far as I understand it, is caused by interpolating between existing frames when you take something filmed at 24fps and try to "fake" the inbetween frames to get to 120hz or something like that.

12. Pav

Pav ???

Correct, the SOE refers to processing additional frames in standard 24fps TV/movie footage to artificially boost the video to 30-60fps and reduce motion blur. It doesn't look right because it realistically isn't how TV and movies were meant to be displayed and is a far cry from playing a game rendered at 60fps or more in real time.

Gaming at 60fps or more is a silky smooth experience and I've never met a person who played that way and didn't like it. It looks more realistic, feels more responsive and is clearly the way modern games should be rendered. Kind of the opposite of the Soap Opera Effect and the unnatural way it tries to smooth out the cinematic feel of 24fps consumer video.

13. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Exactly what I'm getting a real pc for. Upgradeable, keeps up with current games, can record music, and be used for my homework with college courses.

This is just a huge ps vita that plays games a little better.

14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Thats my main reason for buying a console. I like to be able to relax on a couch and shut the world out when I'm playing games.

I got the new Xbox One S a few weeks ago and its working great. Games load a lot faster than the 360. I'm eager to see how well it handles Skyrim mastered or the upcoming Mass Effect.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

PC is just as capable of the whole tune-out-on-the-couch thing, if you set it up that way. My PC is connected to my living room TV, and I mostly use wireless 360 controllers, so once the game is running, the differences in the experience compared to a console are usually negligible. Steam's big-picture mode is a step in the right direction, IMO, if you're going for that kind of couch-gaming experience.

16. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Bro, Jedi Outcast dominated my childhood for a solid year or two. Loved the online multiplayer.

I am happily in both camps, although to be honest, the only reason I have a PS4 and not just a PC is because literally all of my friends from back home play PS4 :lol: I would gladly just stick to PC if that wasn't the case.

My PC is five years old now, though, so I can't really play new games all that well. I desperately want to build a new PC because I want to play Star Citizen when it finally comes out :bowdown:

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Man, I wish the Dark Forces series would make a comeback...

18. Choop

Choop n______n

My cousin has his a pc set up this way too via a little itx system he built. He runs steam from the couch via wireless controllers and a Bluetooth keyboard, and also has it set up as a theater system for watching movies with this cool movie overlay program he has installed.