Thinking about finally ditching current/future consoles

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by dhgrind, Nov 10, 2016.

1. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

So i'm playing the Witcher 3 on the XB1 today and the load times and chugging frame rate has me ready to go back to being a PC only kind of person.

anyone else on the verge of ditching these sub-par machines for some actual performance ? Like i actually need a computer anyways haha i should spend more time :shred:

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I ditched my Xbox360 years ago for a decent gaming PC and have never really looked back.

I did buy the Xbone at launch as I missed the "console convenience" and was living in hotel rooms whilst on detached duty. I then sold it almost within the same week I returned home as I resorted back to my PC.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm almost always a PC-only kind of person, but I like the idea of consoles. I usually keep on my games on Steam, and occasionally consider getting Nintendo consoles, but have no interest in PS4/XBone. It's one of those kinds of situations where there's pros and cons either way you go. And there's all kinds of arguments to be made about which is more expensive in the long run, etc., but if you ignore that part, I tend to think of it this way:

- PCs have utility outside of gaming anyway, so that gives them extra value, to me.
    - PCs however are sort of a moving target in terms of optimizing a games performance, so a game that runs well on a 3-year-old console might not run as well on a 3-year-old video card. Consoles don't really suffer from that in the same way. I can go out and buy a new game for a console and not worry about whether or not it'll run alright without reducing all the settings. That being said, a console version of a game is not always equivalent to the highest PC settings - sometimes the "medium" or "normal" setting on the game are the same as what you'd get from consoles, and the PC lets you get a bit more than that. It's a case by case thing I guess.
    - Alternatively, the extra tweaking means, if you know what you're doing, you can potentially squeeze the best performance out of a particular game.
    - PC versions of games don't always support controllers as well as you'd think they should. That's becoming less of a problem as time goes on, but it's a thing to think about if you're playing older games.
    - Steam + PC + older games that run amazing on modern hardware = win.

Those are my :2c:

4. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

I am a huge fan of video games, i love the way they can pull you into a unique universe and immerse you in it for a couple of hours, kind of like movies but better :lol: that being said i would never ditch consoles for a PC. Simply because I'm not a hard core enough gamer to justify the extra effort that a PC seems to warrant. People have told me it's actually really simple but the idea of having to continually upgrade your machine and having to worry about your specs matching the requirements of a game is a huge turn off. I much prefer being able to pick up any game off the shelf and know that as long as it says "Xbox One" I'm good to go. Plus the graphics/frame rate downgrade doesn't bother me one bit, a lot of the times it seems like it's not noticeable at all or barely if you look really hard. I hope they don't kill the console any time soon because I'd probably never play video games again :lol:

5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

All of this. No interest in PC gaming whatsoever.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I've never thought of upgrades as being any worse on PC than on consoles. I bought my PC and put it together in 2013, and I'm still running current games with the same setup. I was discussing PC upgrades with a friend of mine recently, and we basically concluded that maaaaaaaaaybe an upgrade would be worth it in the next year or so, but just so I could play the newest Mass Effect in all its max-setting glory, whenever that comes out.

I suppose getting to that point took a fair amount of research when I built my machine, and I did do the tiniest bit of overclocking.

7. RUSH_Of_Excitement

Yeah this is the part that kills it for me :lol: plus the prospect of building a PC seems so daunting considering i can't even use excel right and can't tell the difference between RAM and regular storage :lol: with consoles, i pick it off the shelf, plug it in and know I'll be playing the latest game for a solid amount of years

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

This. Nothing against PC gaming, I had my own phase (although I was playing Starcraft, Black and White, and Jedi Outcast to let you know how long ago THAT was), but nothing beats the plug-and-play-and-sit-on-the-couch simplicity of consoles for me.

9. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

I got a ps4 cheaper than I could could build a decent pc, and also my friends will never understand how to build a pc sadly. I reccommend you ditch these .... machines honestly.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I stick with PC is just that my library of games always follows me via Steam, Origin, etc. My steam account has almost 400 games in it (not all of them are any good, lots I've not even bothered trying), and I generally don't have to worry about losing the ability to play those games. I've got basically any new game that I buy, but also a lot of the older games that I grew up with are still accessible this way. Buy a new PC? Just log in and they're still there. Want to play at work? Log in at work.

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Doesn't steam work on consoles?

I'm clearly out of the gaming loop but would appreciate an answer :lol:

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ Steam doesn't work for consoles as far as I know. Even if it did, the games delivered by steam would have to be specifically built for consoles for that to work, and I don't imagine that would happen. I vaguely remember the PS3 I think had a steam app, but it didn't work like the full/normal steam.

13. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

there are "steam machines" that were console like computers but they didn't sell very well since they were about as expensive as a computer but the specs weren't very good.

i do enjoy the sit down and play aspect of consoles, but i've got games on ps3 and wii that i've never finished. Console games now are sitting at low/normal settings and still playing like crap on the XB1, i did have a PS4 and it seemed a tad better but i'm not going to switch again =P

Yeah i've already got a small library set up on steam but my MacBook is starting to give up on me. the last computer i built was 9 years ago. I'm starting to think that if i just dump a good 1000$ in right around the start of next year i'll be set for the next 4 or 5 years and possibly beyond for recording my little jam sessions and stuff.

14. endmysuffering

endmysuffering I'm serious

Steam machines are terribly overpriced sadly, if you want one you could always buy the bios and load on a build. That actually sounds like a fun build.

15. RUSH_Of_Excitement

Considering how long the Xbox 360 and PS4 life cycles were, dropping $250 on an Xbox One was a no brainer for me, talk about getting every last inch out of your dollar

16. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

As someone who has a shelf full of PC games that won't run on modern hardware (and/or operating systems), I'm perfectly fine with consoles.

17. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

I'll never own a console again.

18. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I switched to PC last year after being a Playstation fanboy for the majority of my life.

I could never go back. I bought middle-of-the-road everything for around $700, and I can run most new games just under 60 FPS on medium-to-high settings, which is as good or better than consoles. Games that are a couple years old I can run at ridiculous rates.

The thing with console versions of games is that in a lot of cases, you can't see just how amazing the game can look because they're optimized to run on limited hardware. You literally just don't know what you're missing in a lot of cases. Then there's the added benefit of Steam sales, keyboard + mouse for shooters, and controller support. And mods.

It's dangerous, though. I haven't upgraded my computer beyond fancy LED accessories and such, but it's no different than wanting new amps and guitars to me. I have an issue, I guess.

19. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Replace the console HDD against a SSD and be happy ... no fiddling with drivers, just insert disk or download game and play.

20. Pav

Pav ???

I obtained my first gaming-caliber PC about 8 years ago and was an instant convert. PC has been my platform of choice ever since, partly because of the additional benefits that people tend to overlook when they think of PC gaming. Not only does it crush consoles in game performance but it can also run a variety of programs that laptops and "typical" desktops could not. I'm an engineering major and I've been able to install every type of math and simulation program on my PC that I could ever need, plus it runs them about ten times faster than any of the workstations in a campus computer lab. It's saved me a LOT of time and hassle in my schoolwork.

That being said, I haven't abandoned consoles because I think they still have their benefits. There are a number of game franchises that I actually still prefer to play on consoles over a PC, plus consoles have their fair share of games that don't ever come to PC.