Thermonik VS TH3 Amp Sim Shootouts

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by oc616, Aug 18, 2017.

1. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Got the comparison bug in my day off after trying out Helix Native, so I decided to go on a spree. I'm trying Thermonik's 14 day trial and I'm miles more impressed than Helix's offering for sound quality. Here's some examples. The first instance of each riff is Thermonik, the second is TH3.

5150: https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/thermonik-vs-th3-5150-test-1

Dual Rec: https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/thermonik-vs-th3-rec-test

Engl: https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/thermonik-vs-th3-engl-test

Let me know what you think. This was a lot closer for me.

IGC likes this.
  2. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

to me the TH3 tones sound better. and i´m not just saying that because i use it myself and just love it. with Thhermionik you hear that constant scratchy "sshhhh" sound around 2-4k depending on the amp. TH3 doesn´t have that problem. it sounds more open and easier on the ears.

Masoo2, atoragon and oc616 like this.
  3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I somehow love these comparisons and their subjectiveness. It shows everyone's taste in tones and ability to hear or dial things, while some of it is just a matter of taste. Thermionik sounds little bit cleaner, TH3 is more beefier with good low end and more real like sound. Both are very good, so a matter of taste again. In TH3's 5150 model there is a weird frequency spot at 1670Hz, which can be heard in a mix.

oc616 likes this.
  4. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Good spot on the 1670Hz range, I've done a cut and it actually improved the clarity a bit. I think Metropolis gets the preference idea right, TH3 sounds more "real", so you have a more well rounded tone to cut around, but the Thermionik does have a nicer bite that lends itself easier to taking its gain better without muddying up.

5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Great job man. WHat IRs did you use? Also what guitar did you use?

6. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

Stock TH3 Mesa 4x12's for both and an RG8.

Ericjutsu likes this.
  7. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

I just bought the TH3 for it had a discount. Played around with the trial version for a few days. So I sold my Engl E530 and bought the TH3. It's got really cool sounds. The first preset in the Modern Metal directory only made my decision. The Dual Recto model is really good and so is the Powerball too.

Gotta do some comparisons on TH3 and Revalver 4 which I also have.

8. atoragon

atoragon SS.org Regular

I agree with that scratchy "shhh" sound present in the Thermionik, in general th3 sounds slightly more pleasant and realistic from these samples.

9. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I'm a big fan of both and will agree with Johnny on this one, TH3 is generally more open and easier on the ears and definitely hits the mark in sounding/feeling "realistic"

The stock cab/mic models in TH3 leave me a bit overwhelmed when compared to something like POD Farm where I only stick to 2-4 cabs and the 57s, but I guess that's due to experience.

My current tone is a hybrid of all three though. TH3 (RSS Compressor as my boost instead of an OD), Thermionik (FB100), NadIR (Julep IR from the Telos IR pack), EQ/compression, and the POD Farm American Classic preamp.

10. oc616

oc616 Control Deck Wins

I've fiddled a bit more with some of the Guitarhacks IRs to see if that would help me get the tone I'm after (also to see if the "boomy" issue was with the stock TH3 cabs). I hated the vast majority of them, they just made TH3 adopt that fizzy high end Line 6 models suffer. However there were one or two that worked ok. Here's where I'm at with the same example tune I did above, better?

https://soundcloud.com/amostagreeablesloth/th3-mesa-rec-guitarhacks-irs-test