The world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kotex, May 14, 2008.

1. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

:drool:

Nerd.
    Woody.

2. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Wow. That's pretty awesome. :metal:

:squint: Bullshit.

Particles existing in other dimensions? Okay.
    A source for dark matter known as "unparticles"? Okay.
    Time travel? Fuck no. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bunch of friggin' sci fi nerds who haven't looked at the situation realistically.

Of course, they suddenly say, "Ohhhhkay, ohhhkay, this really isn't realistic and everything we said up until now was just silly nonsense:"

Personally I believe time travel is impossible and I have a lot of scientific reasons for believing this (my original ideas about this started when I was 8 and I ended up researching into it afterwards). So I really think this is just a bunch of nonsense.

3. Zepp88

Time travel cannot happen in any physical sense, but we have been able to "look back in time" using the hubble telescope...but we're actually looking at old light...

Dark matter scares me.

4. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

could creating worm-holes possible fall under the category of "un-safe"?
    i mean fuck, what happens if one becomes uncontolable?
    i certainly hope those guys know what they are doing.... :squint:

and yeah time travel is stupid.

5. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

Wow. It looks like the Death Star's main gun.

6. Zepp88

I don't understand how the physics would work to actually controll that force, especially when we know so little about it.

7. Zepp88

Maybe it is, but it's camoflauged.

8. Naren

That's only a theory. When the RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider in Upton, New York, which is currently the largest and highest energy particle accelerator in the world until the Large Hadron Collider is finished) was built, they were sued by a group of people who tried to get them to stop under the theory that they could accidentally create mini black holes, strangelets, or a false vacuum and destroy the world instantaneously. Of course, the position held by the scientists is that particles being propelled at much much much higher speeds have been colliding with the Earth for billions of years and the Earth is still here. The guy tried to sue again in like 3 different cities and lost in each one. And that was over 10 years ago and the Earth is still here.

I personally don't think it would create worm holes, but that is just one theory.

And, if it did create a worm hole, it wouldn't be a human-sized sci fi movie wormhole, but would be one of subatomic size and a lifetime of a few nanoseconds. :shrug:

9. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

well that put me at ease! (it actually did, that probly sounded sarcastic though)
    good points :yesway:
    good luck to them i say :)

10. Zepp88

Do they plan to use it for antimatter production? The current theories on it scare me. They say that if it comes in contact with matter the energy released would be powerful and catastrophic.

11. Naren

They haven't tested it, so they don't know if that's possible or not. They think it's possible that dark matter could be produced with it. But we know nothing about dark matter, so that's really just a wild guess in the dark.

Everything they say about it now is just guesses. We really know nothing about things at the speeds they're talking about.

Generally the people who exceedingly worry about this kind of stuff are the ones who don't really understand how it works.

But, considering some of the off-the-wall things some sites say (time travel!?), I can see why people would start worrying about "doomsday."

It probably also comes from the common scenarios in horror movies and sci fi flicks where man messes with science too much and destroys the universe or gets sent to some horrific dimension no one knew about.

12. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

My name is Leon, and i Approve this Thread :yesway:

13. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

i touched on this stuff in an elective course at uni only very basically though.

Its pretty interesting but i cant be assed with the maths of it.

After looking at some of what we do know im with Naren on time travel being impossible. The way time 'works' is not condusive to being able to make things move through it. The way the human mind rationalises time isnt really the way it actually happens and its pretty much the human minds version of how it works that gives rise to the thought of time travel.

fuck it jump in the enterprise and fly round the sun. we all know it would work!

14. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Joerg at nekochan.net does IT for guys who are making it. Pretty cool stuff.

15. Naren

Technically speaking, we're travelling through time right now.

I could go through my scientific reasons for believing this and actually one of my main reasons for it hinges on something I thought up in elementary school that none of the other kids (or even the teachers) had thought of, but in very basic terms, my opinion on time is that it is a linear dimension and, as such, you cannot go back to the past (because it doesn't exist anymore). Also, the future has not happened yet, so we can't go there. Technically, the only time that exists is "now."

I do believe that time moves at different speeds in different locations, due to the pull of gravity, but I don't believe you can travel back and forth through time like it's an actual physical location to be traveled to. So, going close enough to the sun could change the speed of time for you, but you wouldn't be able to go backwards in time... ever.

Anyway, this is getting a little away from the particle accelerator/collider thing, but yeah...

16. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I KNOW for a fact time travel will not be possible (at least that I know about) in my lifetime, as if it did, I would break into where ever it was, travel back and invest in IBM and Microsoft like 30 years ago, and right now be living in a mansion banging mad bitches. Since I'm at my job, sitting at my desk and not doing work I should be doing, I'd say that's proof.

17. DevourTheDamned

DevourTheDamned Fossicker

wow, i just read up on that for about 3 hours.
    that was fascinating.

im seriously contemplating becoming a physicist now O.O

but yeah, scary 'strange matter' taking over all particles of existance.
    and what if the unmeasured, un-sure Hawking Radiation doesnt exist? then will the micro-black holes converge into one and become massive enough to start devouring the planet?

damn,
    this is cool shit.

thanks a freaking million.
    :D

18. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

:yesway:

19. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

JJ's a philosophical genius. :lol: