The world of IT interviews...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blacai, Jun 17, 2017.

1. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

For some time now I started thinking about switching my current job so I contacted a couple of companies that seem interesting. In just 2-3 days I got an appointment for the interviews.

I have been "out of the game" for more than 2 years, when I started at my current job. I didn't expect companies being that tricky.

It is supposed that Germany has a lack of qualified people in the IT(I am software engineer with +5 years experience, personal github with Open source projects, active at stackoverflow and up to date about new techs and programming languages) but the interviews were really awkward. They have only a couple of minutes to talk about my studies and work experience and then they started with the technical questions. WHAT a bunch of nonsense questions, unrelated old-fashioned topics that you may hear one day in the beginning of your studies at university. I asked them if they would ask me about things they really do on a common workday and they got "offended" by my attitude.

Obviously my applications didn't work :)

Recently I found an article that describes exactly my thoughts and feelings.
    https://medium.freecodecamp.com/welcome-to-the-software-interview-ee673bc5ef6

They weren't the top companies at all and the interviews were stupid, so maybe I understand why their opening jobs offers are still there after 6 months.

My current job it is not the most challenging one, but who knows, I am still young(32yo), I get a good salary, my position is secure and I have enough free time so I can continue with my personal projects/life-relationships. I just wanted to find a job where I would be doing a "harder" work.

TedEH likes this.
  2. ferret

ferret Not worthy

This is basically my position, but 34. Salary is finally after 14 years where I feel it should be roughly, position and benefits are great, and I never have overtime or weekend work except very rarely. It's easy, without quite being brain dead. And I'm perfectly happy with that, because stress is dumb and I'd rather play games, be with my family, take vacations and whatever else.

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

That's always nice to read people are doing well at work and they are happy.
    Although my situation is quite good, I feel sometimes I would like to work on more demanding projects. But specialization takes its time.
    I took some books and I started with theory about the technologies and methodologies I want to work on.