The world is Ruined

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TotallyBr00tal, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

By comparison, train trips in the USA cost as much as flying does for long distances.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

To get back onto the subject of the Amercian national debt, here's a timely article from the AP.

National debt grows $1 million a minute - Yahoo! News

Turns out, the picture is slightly bleaker than I'd thought, our interest payments are already pretty absurd.

Though, to be fair, Alan Greenspan's point is valid - a certain amount of debt is probably healthy for the economy, if nothing else because if suddenly the government stopped issuing Treasury notes because they were no longer needed to finance the government, there would be some pretty wide-ranging shakeups in the financial world - if nothing else, pricing of Eurodollar futures contracts is dependant upon T-bills, and it'd be a fuck of a lot harder to manage a short term cash equivalent portfolio without a large number of readily-available bonds that were about to mature...

Nick likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

i think the train actually costs more than flying here lol

this thread has went on a serious tangent lol

4. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Because as ignorant as he was, TotallyBr00tal was keeping this thread on topic :lol:

5. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

That may be a lot more than the US, but that's pocket change compared to how much it costs to get a driver's license in Japan. The normal price is between $3000 and $6000. And I know of one place that advertises themselves as being INSANELY CHEAP for costing around $2500.

My girlfriend wouldn't believe me when I told her it cost me $25 for my driver's license (classes included). She seriously thought I was joking for almost 10 minutes. I mean, that's over 100x more. In many cases, over 200x more.

6. Nick

Nick Stop the Madness!

truth check his rep out though its fucking amazing!

7. Stitch

Stitch Banned

...but we aren't talking about how much they cost. We're talking about how much they cost when compared to other modes of transport. Thats pricy as fuck, but Japanese public transport is without a doubt the best I have ever used. The subway is always on time, the trains are frequent and punctual, and the Shinkansen...just wow. An absolute pleasure to use.

Sure, cars are expensive there, but there REALLY isn't a great need for one, especially in urban Tokyo. Even when I stayed near Mt. Aso the public transport was frequent enough that we ever once needed a car. :shrug:

:wavey:

:lol:

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Hey Stitch, read this. I posted it just for you. ;)

Also, I love how he has three positive reps, and two of them are accidental. :lol:

9. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

GTE SE6A

10. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

"Here's some more just because I don't like you."

That slayed me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BigM555 is thinking this thread has run it's course.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You know, just for kicks, I'm going to go back to this original post here.

The falling US Dollar - the dollar peaked against the Euro iin February of 2002, just over a year into the Bush Administration. "Already a problem from before he was elected?" Hell, the Euro wasn't even in existance until just over a year before he took office, and the dollar remained strong well past 9/11 (before you play that card).

Rising oil prices - The price of crude was $24.11 when Bush took office in January of 2000. There are price increases, and then there are price increases - the fact that crude is now trading at low $90's a barrel is frankly absolutely absurd.

Subprime Mortgages - On one hand, the phrase "sub-prime mortgage" never really came into common parlance until the last year. On the other, I'll grant you that your case here is relatively strong, as the seeds were undeniably sewn several years before. However, the Bush Administration's disasterous fiscal policy, the fall of the dollar, the failure of the Federal Reserve to adjust their rate targets to compensate for inflationary tendancies in the housing market, and the resulting credit crunch have only made a bad situation worse.

Global Warming - here's another one where there's plenty of blame to go around. However, the Bush Administration's refusal to sign the Kyoto Accord, refusal to give any environmental bill teeth, and habit of "editing" reports released by environmental governance branches to downplay any conclusions about the reality of the global warming situation is almost comical it's so short sighted. Recently, Bush has finally admitted that global warming is occuring, but the sole course of action he seems to be advocating is just saying over and over again that "we're addicted to oil." That may cut it in AA, and if you keep staggering in reeking of booze they'll tell you to keep coming, but there eventually comes a time when you need to put your money where your mouth is.

War in Iraq and Afghanistan - Um, we declared war on the later in 2002 and the former in 2003. Neither country was a domestiic threat prior to then, and while the case is a bit iffy for Afghanistan, there were absolutely no Al Quaida ties to Iraq. For better or for worse, these two wars will be Bush's legacy.

Anyway, I'm getting bored. You get the picture.

12. BigM555

BigM555 I SS.org Salute You! Contributor

Nice post Drew! :yesway:

But let me quickly predict Brutals reply (should it ever come)

[​IMG]

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

TEH SKYZ IZ FALLING TEH SKYZ IS F@LLING! OMGWTFBBQ!!!!121!!cos(o)1!!

14. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

OMGWTFBBQ is the only internet speak I like. :lol:

15. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Drew,

As we all know the facts have a known liberal bias. :D

16. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

We tried to keep it going in the hope that brootal would come back. But; sadly, I'm going to have to agree. :(

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl: Colbert rules. :D

I'm actually kind of sorry he's gone, I was just getting warmed up. Not that I expected to ever talk some sense into him - the problem with a closed mind is it's, well, closed - but still it was kind of fun...

18. noodles

noodles Contributor

[​IMG]

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

He hasn't been on since the 2nd.

I'm a little embarrassed that he's 26 - I'd expected better of my generation. :/

20. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Totally Br00tal's MO is pretty standard.

He starts off like we ain't got shit.

He gets attacked from multiple angles by people who can actually do a Google search and read newspapers and books.

So he resorts to name calling and platitudes and other such nonsense.

He really gets it handed to him.

He then sneaks away into the abyss.

I've seen it before and sadly I'll see it again.