The War On Science

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mike, Feb 26, 2015.

1. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

No I think we should continue to strive for improvements, but yes I think much of our efforts are often futile because we treat the symptoms and often do little in regards to the source of the problem.

2. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

On the first part, cool beans. I think many of the posts here are striving for accuracy, which is why there's a fair bit of nitpicking.

On the second, here's some nitpicking :lol: This is largely a conversation about the environment, so the word 'natural' is pretty heavily attached to ecosystems, resources, geographic events, etc. Within the context of the conversation, 'natural' tends to mean 'of nature', and the specific human influences that are affecting the climate are very much not 'of nature'.

adjective
    adjective: natural

1. 1.
      existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused by humankind.
      "carrots contain a natural antiseptic"
    2. 2.
      in accordance with the nature of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.
      "sharks have no natural enemies
    I hate doing dictionary quotes, but it really seems now that when you're saying that 'man's actions are natural', what you're saying is 'man's actions are in accordance with man's history of actions'. If so, that's a pretty important distinction under the circumstances of the topic.

On this point, I'm with you again. I'm not deliberately using 'Explorer tactics', I'm trying to figure out the specifics of your stance, because as I outlined above, it only takes a single word to completely change the purpose and direction of a statement. That's why what we call it and how we see it matters.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^2 posts since 2012 and this is one of them :facepalm:

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Just stopping in for a moment, and saw something which seemed irrelevant, but easily answered.

You're absolutely right. Anthropogenic global warming is as natural as the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Why? Are you attempting to make the case that if something is natural, it's not detrimental to humans or other life forms upon which we depend?

If not, what is the point of your clarification regarding the naturalness of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs?

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

1. That's already been covered. Maybe that's the case you're trying to make?
    2. ? My clarification? That's your statement not mine :scratch:.

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy SS.org Regular

Poisonous mushrooms are all natural...eat them.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

woah man you're a riot you should do open mic night :coffee:

8. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Man's abuse of Earth is natural in the sense that nothing can be called unnatural in the most basic sense.. What is really responsible is fear running rampant - psychologically speaking, our stress response is working in overtime all the time, and naturally, as a result, our immediate "need" to survive is made a priority over preservation of future generations and evolution itself. In other words, we are chronically short sighted because we're too afraid of losing security. It's self-awareness back-firing. We can call that natural, but it's definitely not the path of least resistance, and we definitely are intelligent enough to conduct our lives in a way that is conducive to preservation of life.