The Walking Dead thread (encore) [SPOILER ALERT]

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Alberto7, Apr 2, 2015.

1. fps

fps Kit

I like the analogy. These shows are definitely not thought through as pieces of artistic genius, with grand masterplans behind them. That's not how American shows tend to work beyond the first couple of seasons, though it doesn't make them worse. They listen to feedback, they roll with punches, they alter. So, if you kinda like spinach, but don't want it to be quite as bitter, if you feed that back enough, the taste of spinach may well change, you know?

2. fps

fps Kit

This is footstomping and immaturity of the highest order. *Accept the thing in its entirety and be fine with it, or ignore it and never return! No grey areas! No discussion! No thought! It's either totally mega-awesome or you can get lost!*

Poor stuff.

3. fps

fps Kit

To be honest, I've lost my original point I think. I didn't have a problem with the violence. I had a problem with the violence clearly being directed towards the people it was, simply because Rick would have been murdered if this was real life. I've seen much worse violence in art, and obviously worse happens in the real world every day, if anything the choices just reminded me I was watching a show. But I wasn't as invested in Glenn dying as I haven't been watching as long. They could have filmed it in a different way to make me care more about the dude's death, mind. Not entirely, but some of the editorial and directorial decisions, it was both a bit too on-the-nose and yet too artsy with the fantasy scenes.

The *accept it in its entirety or **** off* attitude of some people shows a real lack of understanding about how many different ways the same event can be portrayed, even when still including graphic visuals.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

This popularity = high regard, ongoing art project, etc thing is funny, considering it inherited the most popular cable TV show title from WWE wrestling. Was that beloved art cause it was the most popular then? What about highest rated network shows like classics such as Dallas or Friends or Big Bang Theory? :p I take most popular to usually mean LOWEST BROW. This show definitely fits into a similar category as WWE - constant violence and "money shots" for entertainment. WWE just happens to have a sense of humor about it!

5. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I'm pretty sure I discussed it with the posts that I made. If you refuse to see that, that's your issue, not mine. It's okay. I loved Glenn, too.

6. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Well you kind of have to accept it, it is what it is and they aren't going to rewrite the episode... it's not a democracy, this was established a few seasons ago....

7. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Except I didn't tell him to accept it. But what are you going to do? You going to stop watching because of a few seconds of gore? By all means, go ahead. No one will care besides you and when the story progresses because of the events and you and he miss out on it, your fault not mine. You don't have to accept anything, but again, what are you going to do about it? If you're on a board talking about how the world needs to be a better place with more positivity, then get out there and make it more positive instead of bitching on a website.

8. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

You don't have to keep repeating yourself, I think most of us reading this thread understood what you were trying to say the 1st time, I for one, just completely disagree with you. You seem to be the only one so "concerned" about the direction of the show.

It's a show about the complete breakdown of society and the dead eating the living and you're shocked because a couple guys got their heads smashed in? :lol:

What about when Rick ripped the one guys throat out with his teeth and spit it out? Countless people being torn apart right in front of our eyes since the start of the show? At Terminus when they smash the guys' heads with a bat and slit their throats to bleed them out in a trough? Those weren't over the top, but this was?

People like to be scared, they like to be shocked, they like to see things that are almost unfathomable in their daily lives. Big deal, this show does that. Saying we are sadists and ....ed in the head because we don't feel this episode was too much, is laughable. If it was too much for you and you don't want to continue to support the show, that's fine, it's your right to do so.

And fps, Rick wouldn't have necessarily been the one to die in real life. Negan enjoys what he's doing. He knows Rick is the leader, the strongest in the group and his point of killing the others instead of Rick was to see Rick broken. It worked. And probably also because if Negan is wanting them to collect supplies so he can take half, he most likely figures they'll be able to do that better if Rick is still alive. Just my :2c:

9. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

^You actually are still missing what I'm saying. I didn't say you were a sadist or ....ed in the head if you don't think this was taking it too far, but rather if you're in it specifically for the gore. That was just a piece of the bigger point I was making. Again, if anybody wants to discuss what I was actually saying, great. Otherwise, oh well.

10. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

The thing is Adam, you did say exactly that...

Well your words, not ours.... although I had to really listen as it was hard to hear you from way up on your high horse...

11. Adam Of Angels

Once again: not what I said. That very clearly says that the enjoyment of gore and violence itself, at a certain point of extremity, becomes unhealthy. Reading comprehension. Also, please learn to have a discussion without being so accusatory and hostile - it will be better for everybody.

Edit: more to the point, what I was asking there is, at what point does the show cross the line for you? When is the violence too much? Is there no limit?

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I'd wager very few people "enjoyed" the point of concern in the episode. Just because it's entertainment as a category for the media, doesn't mean that absolutely everything shown to you will be entertaining. There are extremes to portray emotion and shock and horror certainly go a long way to do that. And it doesn't really say anything about a person being sane/healthy having watched that episode. There's a demographic that didn't read the comic and didn't see it coming, there's people that did know and decided to watch it. Someone was getting bludgeoned to death in the premiere, we all knew it. And everyone flocked to find out who got the bad end of the stick.

I'm sad to say that it didn't phase me at all, and I've seen worse in person when living and staying in Brazil with my family. The worst part of the episode besides the sadness was the build up to
    Rick potentially slicing his son's arm off
    . It was more intense and the acting reinforced that moment as the strongest point in that episode, I was genuinely feeling terrified at that point.

Regarding violence and gore, the line isn't defined and never has been. Something is either too much or fine, it's an issue in the gaming industry moreso because most times you're more attached to a show after several seasons that you're willing to stomach it than in a video game for something you've never seen or characters you've never grown with.

Music many of us enjoy depict dark and morbid themes, our Televised entertainment is filled with violence and gore, so are the Video Games we play. Unfortunately if it's not for you, then the easiest path is just to not partake. Sex and Violence sells, always has and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

13. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

I went back and rewatched the first episode of TWD after the season premiere last week and was surprised just how much more I enjoyed it than the newer episodes. Even when it was gorey, sad, etc. it is was still vivid and enjoyable.

14. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I'm sure you've probably seen it, but have you checked out fear the walking dead? I tend to like that series more as it's closer to reality, that transitional period of the break down of humanity...

15. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

I watched the first season and really enjoyed it but haven't seen the second, how is it?

16. Adam Of Angels

^ Same - I liked the first season of "Fear" but never went back to watch the 2nd for some reason.

By the way, I read a short interview with Andy Lincoln and he claims that the rest of this season has elements of humor and hope rather than bleak despair. He said it generally feels different than the past seasons. Take it with a bit of salt.

17. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

I hope so, more recent seasons feel like a series of cliffhangers with little actual content.

18. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

It takes a bit more of a walking dead story line turn while still holding elements of that's wtf is going on and how do we deal with this phase. I was hoping it would really drag out the initial outbreak more but it escalates fairly quickly. Still a good watch though!

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

despite the naysayers, I think this season and its slow burn build up has been absolutely fantastic. Its been building characters and connecting all the dots (communities) together ready for all out war.

The revelation moment at the mid season finale felt way more rewarding because of what we have had to endure upto now with the season. The Rick/Daryll Embrace etc. The returning of Ricks Gun. Those moments in that finale would have felt pretty feeble imo had we not had the type of story telling they opted for this season.

People complain about it being boring but is people forgetting season 02? The farm?. Apart from the departure from the farm, that season was truly boring.

Sidenote: Negan, and his portrayal have been a breath of fresh air for me. He pisses all over the governor as villains go.

I cant wait for its return!!!!!

20. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I just hope Steven Yeun gets a new gig. His guest appearances on Conan were some of the best, so he needs to remain famous so they can continue!!