The Walking Dead thread (encore) [SPOILER ALERT]

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Alberto7, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Now, I am very surprised that all of the threads for this show that have been created have been abandoned. I thought it had a huge following.

In any case, I just finished binge-watching the entire show in exactly one week... I feel dirty. :ugh:

The season 5 finale was pretty amazing, but it ended right on its climax and I feel like it resolved very little. The season itself was great, but I felt it lacked direction. It's like it had two half-arcs; the latter half of one, and the first half of another (unresolved) one.

I'm glad I picked this show up, but alas, it's done enough damage as it is already... it's the first time I actually skip class because I stayed home watching a show. :lol: As long as it didn't interfere with my final exams, I was okay with skipping that one class to get it over with. :lol:

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Im very happy with how the season ended.
    Couldn't agree more with rick.

What happened to morgan's son ?

3. Alberto7

^
    It's revealed in season 3 that Morgan lost his son not long after Rick and him parted ways in the beginning of the series. This happens when Rick and part of his crew run into Morgan while out on a run to find guns to take the governor down.

4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I enjoyed it. Morgan has turned into Darth Maul.

Abrahams speech to the community about Rick was gold. Possibly my favorite lines of all 5 seasons of The Walking Dead. :agreed:

5. AndrewFTMfan

AndrewFTMfan SS.org Regular

Nah, "Who's Deanna!?" And "shave me down all over, dolphin smooth" were Abrahams best lines. "son of a dick" is a close contender.

When it comes to one liners though, he's the best

6. Alberto7

"Son of a dick" had me in stitches for quite a while. :lol: Abraham is such a great character; I wish they put a bit more focus on him.

That finale had me on the edge of my seat. I kept thinking someone would die on every scene they showed. :lol:
    I was surprised at the lack of tears though, which I don't know how to feel about. :lol:

7. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Lack of tears from someone dying (Pete) or that Glenn/Nicholas and Sasha, Maggie and Gabriel are praying in the chapel together?

8. Alberto7

^ The former. Deanna's husband was such a whatever character that I just didn't care. However,
    it was reason enough to make Deanna tell Rick to put a bullet in Pete's head, which pleased me quite a bit.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I thought it was pretty solid tie up for the season

wouldve liked to know a bit more about the wolves this season

and morgan was kick ass

10. Alberto7

^ Yeah, that's one habit that this show has gotten into that I don't particularly like. Arcs that overlap seasons annoy me. They closed well, but the arc still feels like it's just starting.

Also, I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more hits; I thought this show would be more popular around here!

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It was awhile back. I lost interest during season 3 personally, but it definitely picked up quite a bit. I'm definitely enjoying the direction of the show more, but I haven't gotten around to finish this season yet.

12. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I love the show and would contribute more to the thread but a lot of the things I would discuss are really, really trivial. Almost to the point where the average/casual watcher wouldn't have noticed/not understand the connection and/or don't even care. Example: Has anyone caught the homage/reference to "Dawn of the dead (1978)" in the last episode of Season 5 of the Walking Dead? When I mean homage/reference, I don't mean the obvious "zombies walking around eating people". So far, I have seen 3 homages/references to "Dawn of the dead (1978) and 2 for "Day of the dead (1985). * There are more. I just have not seen them. These are not consequences between the movies and the t.v. show but are confirmed homages stated by Greg Nicotero.

Here is a homage that the Walking Dead give to zombie star, Bub who appears in the 1985 version of "Day of the dead". Bub is zombie on the right. Zombie on left is from the Walking dead. It's hard to tell in the picture on the left but the zombie from the Walking dead does indeed have a "zombie collar" around his neck.

[​IMG]

There are a lot more homages/references between the movies and t.v. show but I can't post the pics because of the gory makeup on some of the zombies and I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators. :cool:

13. Alberto7

^ Aaaahh you see, that's the kind of cool stuff that I want people to point out for me, because I suck at finding those things! :lol: I only saw the 2004 version of the film, though I do not even remember whether or not I liked it.

14. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Alberto7. I need you to stop everything you are doing right now. And watch all 6 George A Romero zombie movies. In order if you can. :agreed:

Night of the living dead. 1968
    Dawn of the dead. 1978 < Essential watching.
    Day of the dead. 1985 < Same as above.
    Land of the dead. 2005
    Diary of the dead. 2007
    Survival of the dead. 2009

If time to watch or access to the movies is a problem, at least try and watch "Dawn" and "Day". They are considered the "masterpieces of zombie movies". :cool:

15. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Caution: Useless trivia below!!!

I would like to point out that The Walking dead t.v. show has a lot of "George A. Romero zombie movie DNA" in them because of Greg Nicotero. Nicotero who is heavily involved in the Walking dead (producer, director, occasional zombie extra) has appeared in 4 of Romero's zombie movies (Day, Land, Diary and Survival) as either a actor or special effects artist. All of the homages/references to Romero's zombie movies that appear in The Walking dead are Nicotero's thanks to Romero and his huge, successful contribution to zombies on film.

Here is Greg Nicotero (right) with Andrew Lincoln and Scott Wilson on the Walking dead. * Take notice of plant in Scott Wilson's hand.

[​IMG]

Here is Greg Nicotero (right) as he appears in Romero's "Day of the dead (1985)". This is Greg's first movie as a actor and special effects artist and is the beginning of Greg's successful career in movies and t.v shows.

[​IMG]

* You can't tell in the picture above but Greg Nicotero and Phillip Kellams (soldier on right) are smoking a joint. In the scene, Nicotero and Kellams are passing it back and forth to each other. I keep cracking jokes that Nicotero got the weed from Hershel. See first picture of Hershel handing plant to Nicotero. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm just joking of course.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

thought new season 1st EP was pretty good. I was pretty burnt out on it by the end of last season so wasn't sure if I'd be into it

17. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

They really impressed me with that season opener. The actual direction and cinematography is much more artsy and I was really enthralled the whole way through. I felt like I had finished watching a movie when it was over.

Also, I hate gore, and I don't know how I ever got into this show. :lol:

18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

That's the power the show has. Quantity and quality. My Mom hates any and all kinds of gore and or blood; movies, t.v. shows, medical shows, lions attacking a zebra on National Geographic, someone with a nose bleed on the 9 o'clock news, etc, etc, etc, but she has a genuine interest in The Walking Dead show. Thank you for having a open mind about the show and looking past the gore. :yesway:

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

well 3rd episode was good

sad to see him go but think its kind lame if he survives. there is just no way you'd survive that many walkers on you

20. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

^^
    Honestly its taken the show to a new level.
    Where you die for trusting people who are not strong enough.

This breaks the stalemate of the group always coming up with another adversary worse than themselves and instead facing the consequences of their own choices.