The Tube Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DrakkarTyrannis, May 13, 2009.

1. The Scenic View

The Scenic View GARBAGE DAY!!!!!!!!!

Stock Mesa Mark V with Mesa 6L6 and 12AX7. I just popped in a quad of EHX EL34's that a friend loaned me, and the amp just came to life! Night and day difference, imo. I've done reading and apparently Mesa's come with a bias between 25 and 30 mA (supposedly the V is the hottest out of all Mesa guitar heads in current production), and some tubes some rated at 33 mA. Is this alright for the amp, or will I face trouble down the road? Also, what EL34's would you guys recommend for my amp? It runs into a Mesa Stiletto 4x12, and the noise comes from a Schecter Blackjack ATX C8 tuned to drop F# (whole tone up from drop E). I like the EHX's, but I'm curious to know what else is good!

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried an E34L amp in a high-gain EL34-loaded amp like a Peavey 6534+ or 3120? The specs for an E34L sound like they're too my liking.

3. rob_707

rob_707 but will it Bethesda?

im curious to what would be better for tubes in my amp, i play metal and i just got a bugera 6262, it has 4 6L6 tubes and 6 12Ax7 tubes in it.
    would the amp sound better if i put 4 EL34's and a better type of 12AX7's in it?

4. The Scenic View

The Scenic View GARBAGE DAY!!!!!!!!!

You could try putting 34's in, if that's your flavor. Maybe try a different brand of 6L6's before hop ship, since there are lot's of good 6L6's out there. Also, depending on your needs, you could look into mix-matching 12AX7 brands, since each tube is different from one another. Two great places to get tubes from would be eurotubes.com and thetubestore.com. :yesway:

5. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

The SED =C= (winged C) are amazing in both EL34 and 6L6 derivatives. I also really like the TAD EL34. Another thought might be the JJ 6CA7.
    They are a bit like an EL34 / 6L6 hybrid.

You can get them spec'd for Mesa bias range at either www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes. or eurotubes.

6. rob_707

rob_707 but will it Bethesda?

ok thanks that sounds good, the sound im looking fore is clarity more then anything i play "djenty" style stuff

7. Carvinkook

Carvinkook SS.org Regular

Im a BIG TungSol fan..they just seem a little less harsh than the JJ's,, less high end fizz more smoothness in my crizz

8. rick_fears

rick_fears SS.org Regular

Anybody swapped out the tubes in a laney ironheart?

9. ErkerAsylum

ErkerAsylum SS.org Regular

Time for new Power amp tubes in my Carvin V3. It can be ran at 50W as well as 100. I've always ran it at 100 but i think i might start running at 50w with just the 2 tubes. EL34 is what it came with and what I'm sticking with.

I've never changed tubes before, anything in particular I need to know before I switch these out? thanks in advance

10. clay

clay SS.org Regular

I just heards this shredder x tube screamer by revolts amps, was very crunchie and very clean tone.think the dude was use emgs ,nice cut threw

11. clay

clay SS.org Regular

Try that shredder x tube screamer by revolt. i belive its a sonny lombardozzi signature,was very clean gain

12. glytch5

glytch5 Necron Overlord

In my orange DT i'm using JJ 12ax7s and the EL84s. I have tried chinese 12ax7s (sino) in my V1 and v2, liked the JJ better. The difference was very slight but I did discover a HUGE difference when using a certain sleeper tube.

I know you can buy matched phase inverter tubes from Eurotubes, or even tube depot but, I tried to the groove tubes 12ax7s matched phase inverter and HOLY COW it sounds fantastic.
    It is a chinese sino tube, but I think the current/triodes must be perfectly matched. Perhaps JJ tubes do not make good sounding phase inverters I do not know.
    If you have access to the GT SAG 12ax7 give it a try in your phase inverter. It really warmed up my amp. For clean/crunch settings it was very noticeable, and with my baritone tuned way down, the low notes had a bit more definition with high gain.

For v1 and gain stages, I prefer tube depot, they have JJ 12ax7 sales all the time, I just order them for high gain+low noise microphonics.
    I would suggest trying a simple sino 12ax7 in V1 also just for fun. They do have some bite to them!

13. nlaplante

nlaplante SS.org Regular

I put TAD 6L6GC-STR in my IRT60H. Way better than the stock Ruby's.

In the preamp here's my config:

V1: JJ ECC83S
    V2: Ruby stock (chinese)
    V3: Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue
    V4: Sovtek 12AX7-LPS

Sweet sounding!!!

14. LanguedocRoc

LanguedocRoc SS.org Regular

I can't believe that people actually play digital. You wouldn't catch me playing digital unless I was homeless.

15. t_rod

t_rod SS.org Regular

Replaced the EHX's in my 6505 with Mullard shortplates for V1 and V2 and tungols for V3-5. Much less fizz, microphonics, and hum plus lots more useable gain. Sounds frickin massive.

16. nlaplante

nlaplante SS.org Regular

With you on this. But, digital > tube amp played NOT loud

17. guitarxtc

guitarxtc SS.org Regular

+1

18. guitarxtc

guitarxtc SS.org Regular

You must try Engl amps at low volume ;)

19. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

And my Ultra Lead sound brutal at low volume. Yes sounds better cranked but I would put it up against any SS amp at bedroom level.

Back OT:

I just got the UL and it has JJ6l6g's for the Power amp and all stock VHT branded (chinese) 12ax7's. My UL has the 12AU7 for the drive stage however and a KT88 switch.

I am lead to believe all preamp tubes are stock from 1994 :scream:. I threw in some kind of Baldwin in the 12AU7 slot and honestly it sounds "newer" if that makes any sense, nothing more. Not much difference there as expected.

I do have some JJ KT88's that I will throw in there soon and will be buying some 12ax7's to mess around with.

I really want some Ruby Black Plates or something as nice as I can get without spending $1k on a single TF803s.

I will definitely report back once I get everything situated.

It is sounding great now with the 6l6 but I am anxious to hear it with the KT88. If that goes well I will probably end up getting some =C= KT88 or maybe even 6550.

20. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

My 100-watt Hughes & Kettner sounds fantastic at low volumes. Gotta love power amps.