The Tube Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DrakkarTyrannis, May 13, 2009.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Here are some pages that are definitely worth a read IMO.

I will post this one first since it is a worthwhile Power Tube comparison and the rest are mostly pre amp tubes. You may have to use google translate on some of the text but I found it very informative.

http://www.tube-town.net/info/doc/tt-tubemap.pdf

For anyone wanting to get into rolling some of the more rare and vintage tubes. This page is more to be able to identify what you are looking at vs. the characteristics of the sound but one hell of a good page:

Tube Classics - Audio Tubes

Here are a couple of articles by the tube king. Definitely some of my favorite comparison articles.

Part 1: The Tubeking's Guide to NOS and Vintage Audio Tubes | eBay

Part 2: The Tubeking's Guide to NOS/Vintage Audio Tubes Part II | eBay

This is a good comparison regarding vintage black plate 12ax7's.

Old Stock Audio: August 2011

Here is a good one on current production 12ax7's and 6L6's.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/vacuum_tubes/articles

There are also some general comparisons from other places as well just for example.

You will see a lot of commonalities between these pages but just keep in mind this is all someone's opinion. A more than likely much more experienced opinion but results may always vary.

NOS Valve / Tube Guide | Shredaholic.com

http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=TF-2

https://tubedepot.com/tube-comparison-tool

2. Ice4600

Ice4600 SS.org Regular

Hey guys. I've got a Series 1 Mesa Road King and I'm looking to re-tube it. I haven't had any loss of power or any sign that a tube has failed, but they're at least six years old and I'd like to experiment with tones. I find the amp to be very punchy, specifically when the EL34s are engaged, but overall the low end is saggy on every channel. This makes me think I could fix that with preamp tubes. I'd like to smooth out the high end on the dirtier channels and brighten up the cleans if possible (I know, it's still a Mesa).

I know very little about tubes so it's likely that I make no sense right now. Does anyone have any experience with this particular amp? Does the progressive linkage circuitry make it substantially different than other dual recs? maybe different voicing?

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

just retubed my dual recto this week. pre were 7 years old and power 3 and a bit . decided to mix it up and go with EL34s and I'm really digging it it so far .I was looking at the doug tubes recto kit but with exchange rate and delivery it got expensive. so I did my own version through different suppliers here in Oz

JJ EL34 quad
    v1 tung sol 12ax7
    v2 Ruby 12ax7ac5hg+
    v3 groove tubes 12ax7c
    v4 groove tubes 12ax7c
    v5 sovtek 12ax7 lps

digging it . gonna give it a few rehearsals to get used to it then try the ruby in v1 to see how it sounds

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

I just did my dual recto tremoverb went with mesa 6l6 power tubes and tung sol preamp tubes. Interested in how EL34's would sound though.

5. StefanWest

StefanWest SS.org Regular

Has anyone touched base on the Shuguang Nature Treasure tubes?
    I just bought matched quads of Ruby el34b strs and I've been trying to locate actual 9th gen Shuguang that everyone talked about throwing in their Cobra.
    So far the Ruby 12ax7 ac5 hgs are the only ones I've been suggested .
    I see 12ax7 b on eBay all day, in black lettering as well as red.

I've also been seeing the gold lions that go for some $47 a piece but only for v1.

Has anyone used the treasures? They're not cheap at all.
    So far nobody has spoken up.

6. Tukaar

Tukaar Bringer of DOOOOOOOM

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

using a tube preamp now for the heart of my entire pedalboard only live rig. Sounds great. Thinking about trying to upgrade it to stereo and getting another batch of devices. Love that tube tone but confined to a nice small and very convenient pedal.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Quick noob question. :lol:

I have a Peavey 5150II, and I wanted to check on the tubes. I looked inside, and the power amp tubes are Ruby 6L6s and Sovtek 12AX7s, so I'm assuming these are stock. I see the Sovteks have numbers on them, labeled "99 09". Am I righ to assume that means these tubes were produced in 1999 or 2009?

EDIT: Already bought some preamp tubes to do the swap, but I just wanted to make sure because I'm also seeing how old the power amp tubes are. They seem very ancient. :lol:

9. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Groove Tubes GT-KT88-SV; Anybody try these? I'm finding em for $40 a matched pair, that's the price of one JJ. Probably gonna order anyway, just don't see any reviews.

10. Kingcrimson

Kingcrimson Electra Glide