The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Yep, that was actually what I tried to do at the start(as per your recommendation when I first asked you about it all those years back). It's similar to the techniques used by classical and bossa nova guitarists when playing at the higher registers. Maybe it will take much more time to get used to it, because my personal preference would be to play at the higher registers using my thumb for pressure. But as of this moment in my ownership, when grabbing the entire heel, bending and vibrato feel weird while fretting doesn't feel as natural and nimble, because even with the subtle slopes and gradient grabbing the whole heel just feels way too thick/big. I'm sure he has his reasons(be it for tone or strength), but at least to me, the design of the heel kinda goes against the whole intent of an ergo guitar(efficient, effortless), which in my opinion should allow for any fretting style/thumb positioning the player chooses to deploy. His neck-through design addresses all of these problems, and I wished I went for it instead of bolt on. It was this that taught me what to look out for, based on my personal preferences, for future guitar purchases when it comes to heel design.

I too, never understood the need for 6 bolts or the spacing between the front 2 bolts and the rear 2 bolts when it comes to the 4 bolt 6 strings.
    [​IMG]

Lorcan Ward likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I really only have two things to add.
    1. Old square bolt Ibanezes, which are super shred machines, widen out at the 14th fret and have the big blocky square heel by the 16th fret. Never had a problem with playability on that.
    2. On my neckthrough, I never actually move my thumb past the 15th or 16th fret anyway and I have pretty stubby finger. I've got a good amount of time on other Bodens and I've never really felt I was hindered by the bolt on, or the neckthrough played any better.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You could spend your whole life trying to figure out exactly what you want in an instrument and still discover new things.

Razerjack likes this.
  4. eugeneelgr

Thumb rests in the "real estate" of the 15th fret.
    [​IMG]

Thumb rests in the real estate of the 17th fret (assuming flushed against square block instead of where neck widens out.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Doesn't sound like alot of difference, but it actually is. Plus, we're not really comparing apples to apples, the square block 550 was one of the first iterations in the 80's of a design based off the fender heel which eventually was phased out in preference to the AANJ, whereas the strandberg was designed from the ground up in the 2010s to be an ergonomic guitar. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the problem with the access is only unbearable/unworkable around(to me) in a standing situation. While seated, the problem is not so severe(to me).

5. eugeneelgr

Doublepost.

6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Is the complaint that the heel isn't as ergonomic as a purported ergonomic guitar should be?
    I guess I can see that. I don't really have any complains about the heel though. It's not any more or less access then my prs or ibanez.
    A Neckthrough would be better..but that's usually true in any case with a neckthrough and bolt on version of the same guitar.

7. eugeneelgr

Actually it's more than that. It's not even comparable to other non-ergo 24 fret bolt ons. Interesting, I've tried a custom 24, and the access is nothing short of amazing, so I'm not sure what you mean honestly. Haven't had enough time with any ibanez with an aanj, but from what I've felt, those are pretty great as well.

I think a problem about the heel is that it's very angular as well. If the heel didn't break away at a 90 degree angle and had a gradient on it, it would be better.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm literally holding an RG770 with the square heel. If I want to play with my thumb past the 15th fret I'm taking my thumb off the neck. The vertex on the RG's bolt is significantly worse on my hand than the relatively sculpted heel on the Strandberg. The Ibanez neck gets thicker from the 14th to 16th fret, and you really can't get your thumb under the 17th unless it's on the neck plate. The Strandberg stays relatively uniform right up to the joint.

Also the Strandberg design began in 2008. The original neck joint was a square heel, so clearly Ola thought this was better.

9. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

I've been playing Strandbergs for two years now, and I always thought it has a very ergonomic heel, because it is spread out (thinned and sloped) and rounded. On no other 7 string guitar (including nice neckthrough) am I able to reach the 24h fret as easily up, or down, and I don't even notice the guitar or the heel when playing, which is the ultimate test. I don't even think about what I do with my thumb, I feel like the heel and neck *are* ergonomic because they guide hands intuitively.

At the same time, these guitars are not for everyone, people change guitars, and have different habits, hands, experience. But, we can clearly see there is demand for the design, so even though anything can be improved, I don't see any flaws in the design, just balanced and intelligent choices based on considering all trade-offs.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    lewis, Razerjack and narad like this.
  10. eugeneelgr

Actually that's why I said 2010s because that was when the sculpted bolt-on joint made it's first appearance despite Ola starting the design process in 2008.

I guess, let's agree to disagree. These joints clearly work for some, and don't for others. All I can say is, from someone who has owned a bolt on 25.5" standard scale boden for more than 2 years, for anyone looking to purchase one with the same specs in future, try one out if possible first before making a decision.

11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I think the best advice is that if you're ordering M2M or custom shop, always get a neckthrough. You're probably not going to hate it and it's going to do better on the used market.

SamSam and eugeneelgr like this.
  12. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Its only after viewing this thread that I realized I have always been lowkey annoyed by the neck joint, though I could live with it. It's not ideal, but bearable, and the 5 (on my 7 string) bolts look kinda cool anyways.

I believe its generally agreed that Strandbergs are somewhat not worth the price. The tops are underwhelming(for most production models anyways), quality can be inconsistent, sub-par fretwork, and imperfections in the design(such as the placement of the input jack and massive neck joint).

Some hate it, others can live with it and find themselves falling in love with the experience. For me, my Strandberg is super light, easy to travel with and looks cool, but thats about it. Other design factors doesn't do much for me, and I don't find it easier to play than an, say, an Ibanez.

Either way, Strandberg is in its own category because it is unique, compare it to most 'conventional' guitars and you'll find that its pretty bad value for the money, yet it doesn't stop people from liking them.

lewis and KnightBrolaire like this.
  13. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I had the exact opposite reaction - I'd had many Bodens and never realized there was an issue with the neck joint until reading this. Don't get me wrong - I far prefer neck-thrus and feel that bolt-ons are an inferior design. But nothing about this one is worse than any others IMO.

Bobro and jemfloral like this.
  14. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

https://strandbergguitars.com/product-category/specials/

Demo model Blue Boden Classic hardtail for $1095
    Boden Fusion in Honey with baby food diarrhea top for $2095. Apparently someone bought and returned it from the clearance page; so it may suck.

Because those don’t include shipping, I bought the MusicZoo Fusion for the lower price. I hope it doesn’t blow dead bears.

16. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Bump. Any updates as to when the 2018 stuff (Salens, new colors for the transitioned PT Cort lines, etc.) will be out?

I know there was a limited run of red Classics for an EU store, but I’m waiting for a red Classic Trem to be offered.

17. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

A shop here got like 50 custom Classics in a bunch of different colors a few months ago but none of them had trems. Strandberg hasn't put out any news in a while though.

18. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Starting to not be a fan of strandberg guitars. First, I wrote a month ago about the status of my second M2M order that's being built now, reply. Messaged also to the FB account last week, I can see it's read, no reply.

Second, just today @StevenC sent me this photo from strandberg instagram that I got all excited about:

[​IMG]

Looked a little different when I actually found the for sale listing:

[​IMG]

What a bunch of nonsense. I'd be ashamed posting such mocked stuff of my own gear just here on the forums because it might give someone a slightly unrealistic expectation. Let alone push on their official media platform.

btw, even my first M2M, which I was openly not totally happy with the tint of the finish but basically had to accept anyway, was posted on the official Facebook channel. Only it too was photoshopped -- giving it pretty much spot-on the tint I asked for. Maaaannnnnnnn.....

Masoo2 and StevenC like this.
  19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I love the guitars, but I can't say I've been loving the company lately.

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

see, you lot should have gone Grote like me instead....
    AHAHAHAHA

but no in all seriousness come on guys /\ they are still amazing instruments and Im still saving like crazy for one.

that picture is a little deceptive, but he has just boosted the contrast or whatever. Its not like he has photoshopped hardware/colour that it isnt etc.

EDIT:
    The only thing that has bugged me is them stopping the sale of their headless hardware. As typically I now need that style of bridge urgently haha