Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.
Literally just sold mine last week, J_Mac
Bah! no worries man, they’re like buses - there’ll be another one along in a minute...
The Music Zoo has a few customs in stock now also.
The combination of that post and seeing @jemfloral ’s name next to it made me imagine a Strandberg with a Jem floral pattern and monkey grip
It my head it’s amazing.
A monkey grip was tossed around as an idea for the Singularity, but unfortunately never came to anything.
All these new models are great, but what they really need to be doing is redesigning their bolt on joint.
or release neck-through production models, that bulky heel is the only complaint I have about my boden OS-8.
I like Ola, I want to support the guy. Really. But $6k+ and possibly a year wait (or longer) to have the best neck-through heel since the Parker fly, hurts a little. Might as well make it myself.
some of the newer originals and classics I've seen look like they have a different neck heel from the older models. I don't know how streamlined it is in comparison though.
Nope, exactly the same. The neck joint is the weakest link in the whole design, literally cripples a fantastic body shape by ruining the playability. Joins around the 15th fret which is like a les paul except with a longer scale length. Frustrates me on some days to the point I want to send it back to Ola and getting it reshaped. Especially on the 6 strings where theres only 4 bolts, it seems SO poorly thought out. So much of the joint can be left out.
Got my Metal 7 today. I've not played it much yet, but just by going through it:
* Sounds thinner than my US Boden 6 did (acoustically)
* Good sustain, resonant, and punchy enough so far as I can tell
* Frets are nicely crowned, not perfectly dressed but certainly good enough for a 2k instrument. I saw no high frets or protruding ends
* Ebony board has a powdery black residue which stuck to the fingers. Why? Is this dyed ebony? This would be disappointing for me but as far as things go, that's a minor thing
* Side-dots are mostly at the right spot... still trying to determine if the 'mostly' is due to a trick on the eye or whether there are indeed some discrepancies
* Neck mounting screws have... rust? Residue? Hard to figure out what it does. Doesn't look good but has no bearing on tone or playability
* There's one rough area at the neck fingerboard join which looks weird and shouldn't be on a 2k guitar at all
* The gigbag is brand new and the transparent name tag window is already coming un-stitched
* Finish is very pretty! Looks a lot better in person than in pictures, and the chrome hardware complements it very nicely
* Neck feels nice; the Endurneck helps make it forget that it's a 7 strings which is the reason I wanted to try it in the first place
* Hardware is good though the issue with the string-locks and string-spacing not being aligned at all persist. Not a huge deal given that the 'nut' doesn't do anything beyond spacing, but it just looks and off and feels afterthought
It's too early to tell so I'll hold-off on a judgement. I am not sure I will keep it though and I may send it back to MusiciansFriend. I just need more time. I'll post a thread + pictures when I have time. Nothing above hasn't been completely perused and judged carefully; what I type later will only add to my first impressions.
Most ebony isn't black by nature so it's usually dyed. I'd give it a cleaning and see where it's at after
Yep, and I much prefer a nice, chocolatey, streaky Ebony. In fact whenever requesting builds, with the one exception so far I select to have streaky Ebony.
Aaand more complete thread with pictures etc... http://sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-strandberg-boden-metal-7.328289/
Tl;dr: no completely killer issues, but still less than the level I'd expect at 2k. Super fun axe, great playability and tones.
Ola's doing a talk event here next month, but it's on a weekday at like 3pm. I wonder who's going to show up to that.
This sounds like my Strandberg experience. Disappointed with the finish after dropping 2k on it, but I haven’t played anything quite as inspiring since.
Did they make an official announcement on production changes? been offline for a bit. I wonder if the classics are going to cort as well.
Even better; an almost non-existent heel can be achieved without needing to use neck-through construction.
Were you talking about the Teuffel Tesla? Because that's definitely not a description I'd apply to the neck through bodens...
But anyway, anyone can shave off as much wood there as they want, at the cost of sound and stability. Until anyone's actually assessed that, I'm not calling it the best anything. People complain about a bulky heel like the builder never thought twice about...
Was totally referring to the neck-through Boden models. Oh yessss, dat heel ‘does it’ for me.
Not too worried about anyone else’s assessment and I don’t expect much impact from my 2 cents either. I simply know what I like, I like what I see and I am free to express my desires.