The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

Literally just sold mine last week, J_Mac

2. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Bah! :lol: no worries man, they’re like buses - there’ll be another one along in a minute...

jemfloral likes this.
  3. Riker_Maneuver

Riker_Maneuver SS.org Regular

The Music Zoo has a few customs in stock now also.

jemfloral likes this.
  4. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

The combination of that post and seeing @jemfloral ’s name next to it made me imagine a Strandberg with a Jem floral pattern and monkey grip :eek:

It my head it’s amazing.

boogie2 likes this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

A monkey grip was tossed around as an idea for the Singularity, but unfortunately never came to anything.

J_Mac likes this.
  6. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

All these new models are great, but what they really need to be doing is redesigning their bolt on joint.

larry and narad like this.
  7. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

AMEN!!!

or release neck-through production models, that bulky heel is the only complaint I have about my boden OS-8.

I like Ola, I want to support the guy. Really. But $6k+ and possibly a year wait (or longer) to have the best neck-through heel since the Parker fly, hurts a little. Might as well make it myself.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

some of the newer originals and classics I've seen look like they have a different neck heel from the older models. I don't know how streamlined it is in comparison though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Nope, exactly the same. The neck joint is the weakest link in the whole design, literally cripples a fantastic body shape by ruining the playability. Joins around the 15th fret which is like a les paul except with a longer scale length. Frustrates me on some days to the point I want to send it back to Ola and getting it reshaped. Especially on the 6 strings where theres only 4 bolts, it seems SO poorly thought out. So much of the joint can be left out.

10. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Got my Metal 7 today. I've not played it much yet, but just by going through it:
    * Sounds thinner than my US Boden 6 did (acoustically)
    * Good sustain, resonant, and punchy enough so far as I can tell
    * Frets are nicely crowned, not perfectly dressed but certainly good enough for a 2k instrument. I saw no high frets or protruding ends
    * Ebony board has a powdery black residue which stuck to the fingers. Why? Is this dyed ebony? This would be disappointing for me but as far as things go, that's a minor thing
    * Side-dots are mostly at the right spot... still trying to determine if the 'mostly' is due to a trick on the eye or whether there are indeed some discrepancies
    * Neck mounting screws have... rust? Residue? Hard to figure out what it does. Doesn't look good but has no bearing on tone or playability
    * There's one rough area at the neck fingerboard join which looks weird and shouldn't be on a 2k guitar at all
    * The gigbag is brand new and the transparent name tag window is already coming un-stitched
    * Finish is very pretty! Looks a lot better in person than in pictures, and the chrome hardware complements it very nicely
    * Neck feels nice; the Endurneck helps make it forget that it's a 7 strings which is the reason I wanted to try it in the first place
    * Hardware is good though the issue with the string-locks and string-spacing not being aligned at all persist. Not a huge deal given that the 'nut' doesn't do anything beyond spacing, but it just looks and off and feels afterthought

It's too early to tell so I'll hold-off on a judgement. I am not sure I will keep it though and I may send it back to MusiciansFriend. I just need more time. I'll post a thread + pictures when I have time. Nothing above hasn't been completely perused and judged carefully; what I type later will only add to my first impressions.

11. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Most ebony isn't black by nature so it's usually dyed. I'd give it a cleaning and see where it's at after

12. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Yep, and I much prefer a nice, chocolatey, streaky Ebony. In fact whenever requesting builds, with the one exception so far I select to have streaky Ebony.

13. pott

pott SS.org Regular

14. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Ola's doing a talk event here next month, but it's on a weekday at like 3pm. I wonder who's going to show up to that.

15. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

This sounds like my Strandberg experience. Disappointed with the finish after dropping 2k on it, but I haven’t played anything quite as inspiring since.

16. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

[​IMG]

narad likes this.
  17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Did they make an official announcement on production changes? been offline for a bit. I wonder if the classics are going to cort as well.

18. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

Even better; an almost non-existent heel can be achieved without needing to use neck-through construction.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Were you talking about the Teuffel Tesla? Because that's definitely not a description I'd apply to the neck through bodens...

But anyway, anyone can shave off as much wood there as they want, at the cost of sound and stability. Until anyone's actually assessed that, I'm not calling it the best anything. People complain about a bulky heel like the builder never thought twice about...

20. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

Was totally referring to the neck-through Boden models. Oh yessss, dat heel ‘does it’ for me.

Not too worried about anyone else’s assessment and I don’t expect much impact from my 2 cents either. I simply know what I like, I like what I see and I am free to express my desires.