The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Strandberg just signed Adam Rafowitz not too long ago as an artist. About bloody time if you ask me, the man has phenomenal chops and phrasing.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Wow tell us how you really feel.
    Models are 200 more with upgraded pickups.
    Dunno where you are getting 500 from.

Hollowway likes this.
  3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

If I'm to be taken to task for brownie points:

There are WMI-produced lines listed on the US site at $2495 and $2595, compared to previous WMI-produced lines previously listed for $1995.

In addition to the expanded WMI lines, there are cheaper models now being produced in other countries - But I wasn't referring to them.

Ola and Ed are pretty upfront about the overhead of small batches of minimum orders with proprietary hardware driving their prices above what Schecter and PRS charge for their WMI instruments.

I own one because I wanted one. I don't pretend the guitars are priced to be consumer-friendly, or are $1,000 better than other WMI Korea products.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The metal is made at wmi isn't it?

5. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

Yes, it is.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I entered just because they're too sexy, then it hit me with that refer friends for more votes things. Ugh. I'll sell out myself, don't turn this into some pyramid scheme raffle awfulness.

8. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

how are people digging the suhr pickups in their bodens? i've been realizing more and more than the BK juggernauts in mine just havent been cutting it. sounds kinda dull.

9. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

I was looking at the GC preorder page. I noticed that the picures on the GC page do not show the scraped binding on the new models (fusion, etc) but the pictures on the strandberg page do. Any info on this? I quite liked the way the "binding" looked on these guitars.

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

As far as I know, the photos without binding were prototypes; and the production models have the faux-binding.

11. bmth4111

bmth4111 SS.org Regular

With the strandberg trems is there an with alternating between tunings like there is with a floyd rose trem? I want to be able to alternate the tuning of my top two strings by two semitones. I'm wondering if there trem system might be the best to use in order to retain "Floyd rose capabilities" while being able to change tunings.

12. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

It's floating just like the floyd rose and retuning it will require a new setup.

13. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Does anyone know how to prevent the satin finish from wearing off? Just bought an OS7, its my first satin finish guitar and I have notoriously sweaty hands, is there anything I can do to prevent it from becoming a 'gloss' guitar? Much thx.

14. Thringer09

Thringer09 SS.org Regular

I'd also like an answer to this question.

15. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

IMHO the best option is to live with it and enjoy the unique wear you get :)

I have had a little success with gentle 0000 steel wool rubbing on small patches in inconspicuous areas, but I wouldn't want to do it to a larger wrist-rubbed patch on the front.

A friend of mine had a theory that the oil from your skin collects in the rough surface of the satin finish, and that a gentle 'wash' with detergent on a sponge might bring the satin back. My theory was that the satin finish (at the microscopic level) has the rough/jagged edges smoothed away by friction. But we never got around to trying this out.

16. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

I got to try one of the new Fusion models. It does have the scraped binding, and I thought the overall quality was great. Everything was fit well, routings were clean, frets were well done, etc. I found no issues at all with the one I tried, except the "flamed top" was pretty lackluster. I also liked the Suhr pickups, thought they were very articulate and noiseless. I liked the new trem too, comparable to a floyd rose, but not quite as smooth and less range. But it holds tuning and returns to pitch perfectly.

IMO, if you like the design and aren't picky about the top, the new strandbergs (atleast WMI built) are worth the money. Personally, the Plini edition is on my GAS list, and I think the Metal looks great if you want fixed bridge and not have to deal with a poor top.

17. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

consensus is that the old wmi builds (OS line) are inconsistent. no consensus on the newer wmi builds (metal, plini, etc) yet.

jemfloral likes this.
  19. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

I'm pleased to hear good reports on the quality. I might have a look at one of the new models in the future if we keep hearing good reports like this. I know what you mean about the lack of feature in the top, but on the other hand you do get a full-thickness top rather than a veneer. I would take a proper slab of wood over a pretty veneer any day. That's one of the things that put me off an Ormsby. That and the gloss finish.

20. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

i've owned 2 WMI strandbergs and i had essentially nothing to complain about. i've also owned a Boden J and still own a US custom shop. frankly i think those OS's were fantastic so much so that i think the price gap isnt really reflective on the quality. the OS's played fantastic. the only downside were the tops being used. a little lackluster but it looks like they've really stepped up their game regarding tops. my boden J and my US custom play perfect. if i gave them a 10/10, i'd easily give the OS's 9.5