The state of online forums in general

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Feb 2, 2018.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love this place.

Nothing I'm saying below pertains to ss.o in any way:

Other online forums are hit and miss. In the early days, nothing seemed like it was really moderated, and people argued all of the time, especially over anything related to politics or current events. Now everything is pretty much moderated to the point where you get banned for anything and everything.

There was a music forum where someone posted a guide to marketing. In my opinion, the writer was super lazy and rattled off a list of things that contained no specific details, and many items in the list were redundant. I posted a reply, not bringing up anything generally critical, but just saying that some specific examples would be helpful, then gave two examples of resources that specifically helped with things brought up in the list. I was banned from that site within minutes of posting that, not for posting outside links (which were 100% relevant in my assessment), but for being argumentative. Sure, it is their prerogative who they want contributing to their site, but, well, I'm definitely never going back there again based off of that experience, which in my eyes screams of stupidity.

Then a certain news site that offers comments powered by DISQUS. I read an article there and thought I had an experience that would be pertinent, so I went to post, and received a message that I was banned from that news site. I had never even posted there before (I triple checked my history just to make certain). I tried contacting the moderator to see what was up, but there was no response.

Another news site using DISQUS did not ban me, but removed all of my comments, but when I contacted them to ask why, they put all of the comments back up. I think that they must have had a rogue moderator there for a time or something.

There are a few other sites I newly signed up for recently, which banned me for various reasons, in some cases I never even posted anything at all. One site that I started last year is even a paid service, and it banned me from commenting today, because I posted one comment praising someone else's analysis of something political, about six months ago, and someone flagged it as spam, just now, even though it was a two sentence reply on topic, and I didn't mention anything promotional or link to any outside sites. I don't really care if there's a way to contest it, I cancelled my membership there and I'm happy to move on.

The trouble, to me, is that this is the trend.

Moderators on some of these sites, especially the paid ones, do not want anyone actually posting thoughtful discussion topics that might make their own staff look in any way bad, even if it's simply that some lowly end-user of the site came along and had something thoughtful to say to build upon the discussion that the staff members started. When one or two sites pull this sort of thing, I just ignore it and move on, but having been banned from five sites in the past two weeks, when I only posted anything at all on two of them, and in exactly zero cases violated TOS...well, WTF? When it's a site that has shitty content anyway, it's like "meh, whatever," and you move on. I guess the one that really gets me is the paid site that seemed to have some actually good thoughtful discussion on it, about more or less everything. I was enjoying that one, but banning me over something that in no way infringed upon their TOS, especially when I was paying a nominal fee to have access to discussions there, just presses my buttons.

Prior to the past two weeks, I had only ever been banned from a facebook group notorious for banning everyone there, and once, I was banned from answerbag (which no longer exists) after stupidly changing my user name to Hodor and spamming three or four different threads in the GRRM subforum with me popping in and only saying "Hodor." It was dumb, but in my defense, there was a lot of very similar stupid stuff going on there at that particular time, and I did get a number of laughs from several other users.

Is anyone else here having any similar experiences out there in the world-weird-web?

Vyn likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

are you sure the problem isn't you?

CrazyDean, odibrom and bostjan like this.
  3. bostjan

I would certainly think it was, save for the fact that:

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Yeah websites are getting kind of insane with their moderating. Kotaku, Bloody Disgusting, Gamespot and PC gamer are some that come to mind. Kotaku is the absolute worst about it and essentially deletes any comment that isn't in line with their viewpoint. I pretty much refuse to go on their site now. PC gamer and Gamespot both heavily moderate their comment sections and autoflag any swearing or words they deem offensive and on PC gamer it tends to extend further, like if someone has criticisms about how a game was reviewed or "attacking the writer". Bloody Disgusting deleted my comment on their American Mary review when all I did was say that the film was terrible (which to be fair, it's not a well written or executed film, and the directors deserve no praise for making it). It didn't help that they argued that I was a misogynist and didn't support female directors, which is wholly untrue, I could care less about the gender of the directors, I just want to watch a well made film.

bostjan likes this.
  5. bostjan

I have not perused those site's comments sections too much, but I do believe I have or at one time had an account at one or two of those. Maybe I should check those to see if I've been banned there. :lol: ...I never swear on message boards until I've seen enough other people doing it without problems, since I know advertisers can get ancy about it and if a site is cool enough for me to comment, then I certainly don't want to stir shit up there, at least until I get overly comfortable there, like I am here. :lol:

I'm glad you've seen similar things happening, simply because it makes me feel less nutty about the whole thing. I had been pretty active on forums all over the internet from ~1998ish to around late-2006, with accounts linked to forums for guitar manufacturers, bands, music discussion in general, lasers, solid state physics, mathematics, education, politics, and lots more, and I never got banned from anything until the little stunt I mentioned in the OP, which was no surprise, really - but even with that, the mod staff there reinstated me after a day of internal discussion amongst themselves.

My guess with these forums/comments sections on which I've never posted is that those might be linked to my facebook account (which I never really use anyway, except for my wife to message me on business trips), where there is some basic profile information and such - maybe these sites want to weed out people whose facebook profiles match certain keywords, and I flagged. :shrug:

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

I used to post regularly on MLP, I was a LP junkie for a while and a friend of mine is a luthier. Dude built me a custom LP to my specs and as he’s over there we had fun documenting the build, arguing good naturedly over specs etc....time came that I wasn’t a LP junkie anymore and pretty much only checked that site maybe 2-3 times per year.

Logged in last June after being away for almost 6 months and I was banned. There was a comment on my page from one of the moderators that the reason for the banning was me posting pics of him and his wife in compromising situations/meme’ing them.

Not my style at ALL, never did it, never would do it.

Sent the guy my phone number saying that it wasn’t me and if he wanted to talk over the phone I’d be glad to. Never heard back, still banned.

No clue what happened.

bostjan likes this.
  7. bostjan

That's really bizarre. I really think they have you confused with another user there.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

How many other forums do you guys read? :lol:

My biggest problem with forums these days is they're generally populated by assholes. :lol:

xAGx, crg123, BenjaminW and 5 others like this.
  9. bostjan

I wax and wane and ebb and flo. :lol: I think this thread is a strong sign that, now that I've seen my shadow, I'm going back under a rock soon.

10. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Agreed. I read one other one regularly, but that one is populated by friends of mine IRL...we meet up a few times per year for ampfests, do drumjams once or twice a month etc...it's a way to keep in touch without using FB, which we all detest lol

bostjan likes this.
  11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I posted about this once a while back- I've searched around for communities similar to this one for other topics and could never find anything decent. Either there were only beginners and no experience to draw from, or everyone was a troll, or the forum wasn't active enough- always something to ruin it. This place is pretty unique among forums I think.

bostjan likes this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Yup, assholes abound online and off :lol:.

Im on 3 forums. They are all unique and all have regulars. They have assholes and trolls. I stopped coming here for a while because it was all djent, modellers and kiesel - things i dont follow closely if at all. However I got bored and I can contribute a little so Im posting more here.

If forums are tolling on anyone, just take a break from the internt. It's nice.

Edika likes this.
  13. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I haven't really seen what you're talking about, but I really only visit this site and s2ki, and lurk another guitar forum :lol:

I have noticed what seems to be a decline in forum usage by younger generations (not really younger since I'm not yet 30 haha) in favor of using Facebook groups or pages. This is kind of sad, and a little irritating. Long running forums like this one are excellent resources for knowledge, but they require some activity and upkeep to stay alive. Facebook is not a suitable alternative as you can't effectively search the pages (or Google) for specific posts. I get the appeal of Facebook groups; they're a bit more personal since you don't have an avatar to hide behind and it takes less effort to be part of a "community." I just think they're useless for generally sharing and preserving interest in some sort of niche hobby.

And then there's Reddit :lol:

Discoqueen likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'm glad when people are self-aware. :D

kiddies, this is sarcasm. yay for humor

KnightBrolaire and odibrom like this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

Anyways, I'm on two forums, and the other one sucks shit through a crazy straw. Boring, uptight, idiotic people, and I mostly only post there to fuck with them. I'm kinda wondering when the hammer will fall. :lol:

16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

SSO is the only forum that I really peruse. Heck, I left a site on which I had over 10k posts years and years ago specifically because I enjoyed SSO so much more. Good folk around here, for the most part. Sometimes you get the occasional bad apple that goes and decides to be a jackass, but thankfully those people are few and far between.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Hey, I try my best. :(

18. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

I think most forums have died hardcore since most have transitioned to using Facebook groups. In addition, people as a whole I think have been isolated in their own little thought bubbles (Facebook/social media feed algorithms have a lot to answer for here) to the point where a conflicting opinion/viewpoint expressed in the politest manner possible is seen as a massive personal attack to the point where torches and pitchforks need to come out. Especially any thread of the format "X vs Y" descends into "You're an idiot", "Ya mum", "Fuck off", "That gave me cancer" extremely quickly (Not on this forum though, usually takes 7 pages of tonewood discussion first :p). People have lost the ability to have a respectful/meaningful discussion over differences.

Jokes aside, the community here is awesome. Love you guys <3

xAGx, Edika and Discoqueen like this.
  19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you can't fight it, might as well embrace it. :D

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

I think if we joined the WWE for some unknown, ungodly reason, we'd be the only two heels in the recent history of wrestling who'd feud over methods. :lol: