The SS.org Tunings Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ShreddyESP, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

Tuned my crappy little Epiphone LP Special to F1-F2-Bb1-Bb2-F3-F3. Dooooooom Dronnneeeesss. Had it in the same tuning intervals but with C as the low note a while back. Lower is (almost) always better.

2. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Right now my tunings are:

Bb - 7 String
    F# standard - 8 string
    E standard - 6 string (sometimes drop D)
    Eb - Acoustic
    B standard - 5 string bass

3. tm20

tm20 SS.org Regular

currently playing in F C G C F A D. really useful, I can play Glasscloud and some Deftones songs, and the fact that I can do it all on a SCT 607B is the best part :D

4. Josh Nanocchio

Josh Nanocchio SS.org Regular

Anyone ever tried that Opeth tuning?

D A D F B E ?

I think that's it, I know they used it on Ghost Reveries but It's one of my favorite sounding 6 string tuning.

*EDIT: Okay I think I got the tuning wrong but it's basically an open Dmadd9 chord is what it makes.

5. TheJokeroholic

TheJokeroholic SS.org Regular

It would actually be D A D F A E, because if it were D A D F B E, there would be a nasty sounding tritone clash between the F and the B notes.

I've played around with it a couple of times, it's a fun one to play.

Norway Jose and The Spire off of the new Haunted Shores EP Viscera are basically in this tuning, just a whole step down to Drop C range.

Source: Mark Holcomb Talks New Haunted Shores EP | Seymour Duncan

6. hodorcore

hodorcore SS.org Regular

e standard with a high a!

7. Schizo Sapiens

Schizo Sapiens SS.org Regular

I used to be sceptical about "mirror tunings" (such as F-C-G-D-G-C-F) but I fell in love with one recently.
    My variation is (low to high) A-E-B-E-A-D. It's nice to have two fifths down there and three fourths above that. Plenty of interesting chording abilities and good old fourths for lead playing.

I use my Open B (B-F#-B-F#-B-D#) guitar for that tuning, cause it's not so far away so I don't have to change strings or anything.

8. Tukaar

Tukaar Bringer of DOOOOOOOM

C F Bb Eb G C
    and
    Bb F Bb Eb G C

Maybe playing around with F F Bb Eb G C on the next album for a song.

9. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

I'm thinking this is the right place for this.. Anyways..

I just recently acquired my first 8 String (Ibanez RGIR28) and have quickly found that I don't care for the low F# at all. I suppose bands/players that utilize such low notes must really eq for it specifically. I however am not one of the tone gurus out there and I'm not interested enough in 8 strings to invest too much time into it.

It may also be worth noting that I have always played my 7s in Standard or Drop A so nothing remotely crazy or low.

Finally to the point, I'm looking for ways to try and like this extra string. I was thinking G# Standard might be a little better. It's just the thought of up-tuning a guitar is so crazy feeling. I play 11s normally but I suppose I might have to drop down to 9s with that kind of tension. Another issue is that I have very hard pick attack and generally break anything lighter than 11s pretty quickly :wallbash: Any input would be sincerely appreciated!

10. Monsterhawk

Monsterhawk You're killin it bro

Dunno if anyones mentioned it yet but;
    Parkway Drive play in drop B, drop A and drop A#:shred:

11. Monsterhawk

Frey - I used to tune my 8 string so that the bottom two strings were octaves - no matter what tuning the top 7 strings were in and the tension was actually quite comfortable.. I'm not sure what gauge strings are on it tbh but it holds nicely and creates some real nice beefy chugs. could try something like that? strings permitting ofc.

12. Monsterhawk

The other guitarist in my band used to do this when I joined, it works but you need a light string set. Personally I don't see the point in that because using the f just seems to high and out of place to me. I dont like tuning the 2nd-7th string above standard...feels un-natural.

BUT it can be done, so go crazy and mind your strings

13. maestro9

maestro9 SS.org Regular

Hello guys. First of all, sorry if this is the wrong thread. Second of all, could you help me here? I'm trying to figure out which tuning is the racist song Moth Defect, by Decapitated. So far, i'm figuring it's either in A Standard, or Drop A.

I'm tuning to Eb, and when i played 4th's at the first fret, it seemed to go well with the lowest chord i hear, though when i played 4th's at the 0 fret, it seemed too low. What do you think?

Cheers!

14. MaxwellJPorter

MaxwellJPorter SS.org Regular

My band likes to play in "double drop A" on our 7 strings, A D A D G B E. Not technically drop A but drop D with a low A. Does anybody know of any other bands that play like this? Wondering if I could learn some different songs in this tuning.

15. squids

squids .

Alright, weird tuning of the day.
    From low 7:
    CEADGBe
    So I raise the low B up a note, and I actually really like it.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

There's a very old thread about that tuning. I've played with it a lot in the past. It's pretty intuitive for people accustomed to standard tuning, but it almost always leads me to ADADGAD as an open tuning.

I'm fully immersed in 19-EDO right now. I love the tuning so much. I'm alternating between EADGBE and DADGBE, both at A=440 Hz. So E is b5.3¢, A is spot on, D is #5.3¢, G is #10.5¢, and B is b10.5¢. I'm using five string bass with it tuned BEADG (not dropping the D to match), which forces me to get a little more into a different mindset than with the guitar.

17. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

I'm trying a tuning which turns out to be a Soundgarden one: CGDGBE

I'm not that much of a listener to Soundgarden, I tried to combine a Staind tuning and the Karnivool tuning (BF#BGBE) without relying on downtuning it to drop Z

18. TheDandy

TheDandy SS.org Regular

Been trying out B-G♭-D♭-E♭-F-D♭ over the last few days. Really interesting chords coming out of that one, really makes you think differently having two instances of seconds.

19. Oesnume

Oesnume SS.org Regular

I've played A# D A D G B E for the longest time now, A# on the bottom is super situational but I usually find a place for it to stand out in some songs.

20. meatloaf

meatloaf SS.org Regular

Bb
    Eb
    Ab
    Db
    F
    Bb

Standard dropped to Bb. I think that's like six frets? Anyway it sounds good to me.