The Rico returns...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by elq, Jun 14, 2012.

1. elq

elq (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Yes. It's back. The left handed BRj 828 that was at the center of some controversy here in the recent past.

[​IMG]

I sold it to another member. I knew it wasn't perfect so I committed to refund his money if he found the issues with the guitar unacceptable. He did. Oh boy did he ever.

I'm torn about publicly posting pictures detailing the issues - I shared them in a private forum and the pics were discussed by players who own and play very high end guitars and also own BRj's. These were off the record conversations and I trust that the comments were 100% accurate so I've come to the conclusion that Bernie is able to make great guitars, but he is human and has shipped some lemons too. This 828 is obviously not his best work.

My dilemma is as follows, should I lower the price and yet again and try to sell it (with full disclosures, of course), or should I try to get in touch with Bernie for a rebuild.

I'm leaning towards the former for a number of reasons, least of which is the very very slow progress on builds and rebuilds - I don't think I want to wait two or three years for this guitar to get rebuilt (just to sell it as I've moved on mentally).

Thoughts?

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Rebuild. Good luck getting one done in under 2 years though :lol:

3. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

selling depends on how much of a hit you are willing to take financially.
    I think i would get in touch with BRJ see what he says.

4. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

Same here. Rebuild. And while it's getting rebuilt, you could get yourself other lefty 8's while you wait. And when it finally shows up, you can either chose to keep it or sell it for more than you can sell the current one.

5. elq

elq (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I've already written the guitar off financially, so anything I get out of it will be "found money". :shrug:

I've got 10 (or 11 or 12, I can't quite remember :lol:) guitars coming, including 3 8's from Luthiers with whom I have great relationships vs. my very strained interactions with Bernie... I don't know if an (optimistic) extra $1k in worth the trouble at this point :rofl:

edit:

If I do decide to try contacting Bernie, can someone please PM a working email address?

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I just loggeg into that private forum for the first time in months and saw the thread. Thats horrible, you might as well post it here. :shrug:

I feel bad for the guy but he brought it on himself. Especially about the TR..

7. elq

elq (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll only post that info here if I choose to sell the guitar rather than try to get a rebuild. I'm sure publicly posting those pictures and that review would make my interactions with Bernie even less pleasant.

8. IB-studjent-

IB-studjent- SS.org Regular

I wouldn't sell it, gives the buyer more excuses to rape you with the asking price. Rebuild !

9. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Good point, also holy fucking shot that thread is gold :lol:

10. Phrygian

Phrygian Lefty

Thanks man, for sticking to your word with the refund, highly appreciated! :yesway:

yeah, I would never expect to see such things on a 100$ guitar, let alone on a high end custom like this! the things that can't be unseen.. :ugh:
    And it sucks, it played great, and looked killer!

I would definitely talk to Bernie, he should have enough integrity to see that he fucked up on this guitar and build you a new one. And if you already wrote it of then whats the loss in having it rebuilt? It would probably just be a nice surprise when it turns up - and you know who to contact if you don't want it after all :lol:

And I would'nt post the pictures here before talking to Bernie. If he decides to help you out then I would'nt post them, but if not - :wavey:

11. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Having been in a similar strained relationship with a builder, i can tell you right now that it is always worth it to just revisit it and lay all the cards on the table. Say that you're sorry for how shitty things have been between the two of you. You don't have to apologize if you didn't do anything of course, i'm not saying "suck the guys left nut!", just be honest with the guy, and tell him you'd like to just do this on friendly terms. You just wanna be finished with this, and you just want it out of the world, so let's finish up our business together and move on.

I don't remember what the issues were with this guitar, but do you know whether they are completely unfixable or not? maybe they can be fixed with some "surgery"?

12. Phrygian

Phrygian Lefty

They are fixable, but require a bunch of finish work and rerouting. So He could fix it instead of scrapping and rebuilding.

13. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

Get him to rebuild. You paid for something, and didn't get what you expected. Considering HOW LONG the wait time is... there should be no flaws. A master builder should catch his mistakes before finishing and handing the project over.

14. Phrygian

Phrygian Lefty

^Agreed!

15. JaeSwift

JaeSwift Of Blood and Sawdust

I don't mean this directed towards Rico or any other luthier in particular for that matter, but you are entitled to your opinion and if your interactions with him become less than pleasant because you posted pictures of HIS mistakes in a public forum then that just goes to show how much of a douche he would/could be.

If you sell a lemon, expect it to be all over the interwebz. Cry about that and expect that to end up all over the interwebz too; trust me when I say that he is aware of this and wouldn't want that to happen. If you post the mistakes we could also perhaps help with an estimate of how much work that would involve if you don't know this yourself already.

16. Andrenighthound

Andrenighthound SS.org Regular

If a builder wants to charge a lot of money for a guitar, and sells a lemon, and expects you to wait 3 years for him to fix it is pure bullshit.

17. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Between the Roter and this, you need to invest a little in your karma fund :lol: Can't believe you ended up with two bad custom experiences.

18. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Considering Eric's butt load of success from at least three other high end custom builders, I'd say perhaps Sebastian and Bernie need to do some checking. ;)

19. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

Good point. He's really on the ass end of someone else's karma issues :)

20. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

You've written it off already, sell it as is, full disclosure & close this portion of your life. either way, sucks all around. Sorry man.