The RG7620 Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by trayenshreds, Mar 13, 2014.

1. trayenshreds

trayenshreds sweep tapz brah

Hey there seven string lads,

I figured I would begin a thread with the aim to compare and contrast the Ibanez RG7620 (1998-2002) with the current modern Ibanez RG Prestige/Premium 7 string guitars. I was fortunate enough to acquire a Ibanez RG7620BK with the original "New 7" DiMarzio pickups from a forum member here quite a number of years ago- under my old and forgotten username, haha. Long story short- I LOVE THIS GUITAR! I have never personally found a reason to change the pickups. The version I have is actually a '98 model, so one of the earliest mass production 7 strings by Ibanez, second only to Mr. Steve Vai's Universe. My ideas for topics of discussion include:

-Compare/Contrast the '7620 versus more modern RG series 7 strings
    -Be able to read the opinions of fellow RG7620 owners
    -Discussion on the unique "New 7" pickups
    -Discussion on mods people have made to their RG7620's
    -Discussion on pickups people have swapped in place of the "New 7's"
    -Hear recordings others have done with their RG7620's
    -Shared knowledge on the history/heritage of the guitar
    -General debate/discussion/appreciation of this instrument
    (and of course other 7 strings!)
    -Share and view photos of other users' 7620's
    -Any other ideas anyone would like to add to the discussion are more than welcome.

Personally, I love the HH pickups, and the 5-way selector switch allowing access to the single coil variations. You can truly get some great sounds out of this guitar- and sometimes you can find the right one for a great price. I don't think I see myself ever letting this one go- I'm actually very interested in possibly modifying it to more suit my taste.

Discuss!

Also, a bit about the guitar for those who aren't familiar:

Specifications for RG7620
    Name: RG7620
    Years: 1998-2002
    Areas: Worldwide
    Made in: Japan
    Finishes: BK (Black) (1998-2000) / DAB (Dark Adriatic Blue) (2000-2001) / GK (2000-2002) / GN (Gray Nickel) (1999-2001) / PL (Pearl White) (1998-1999) / RB (Royal Blue) (1998-1999) / VK (Vampire Kiss) (1998-1999)
    Body material:
    Basswood
    Neck joint:
    AANJ
    Bridge:
    Lo Pro Edge 7
    Hardware color:
    1998-1999: Black
    2000-2002: Powder Cosmo
    Neck type:
    RG7
    Neck material:
    1998-1999: 1-Piece Maple
    2000-2002: 3-Piece Maple/Bubinga
    Fingerboard:
    Rosewood
    Inlays:
    Pearl Dots
    Frets:
    24 / Jumbo
    PU Config:
    HH
    Neck PU:
    DiMarzio 7-N
    Bridge PU:
    DiMarzio 7-B
    Controls:
    1 Volume / 1 Tone / 5-Way Lever
    Specs via Ibanez Wiki (RG7620 - Ibanez Wiki)

Cheers!

Also included is a shot of my 7620 chillen on the bed :)

Attached Files:

Ron Head, setsuna7, Konfyouzd and 6 others like this.
  2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I like this thread.

I'm the proud owner of two 7620's; a '98 BK and a '99 VK :metal:

Both have aftermarket pickups. Currently a BKP C-Pig/Liquifire in the BK and a BKP Rebel Yell/Air Norton in the VK. I've also had a set of Lundgren M7's, a Distortion/'59 set and a D-Activator bridge in the VK.

My friend and I recorded this cover of Letter Experiment at the end of 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i1a2BZMQwM

Not the best playing, but whatever haha I had just learned the song a week or so before

My rig has almost no resemblance to what I used then, though, and the guitar still had the M7 set (killer pickups, btw)

Oh yeah, the VK was refinished by one of the previous owners to be black pearl on the back, a sort of copper on the sides, and an almost swirled sort of top. I'll definitely be taking a few pics to put here since I can't really think of how to describe it haha

The BK is the stock black, but it was beat up kinda bad by the previous owner and I've been contemplating refinishing it to a bright/obnoxious Lamborghini blue :D

3. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

This thread makes me miss my old 7620 even moarrrr. Here's my old one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. charlessalvacion

charlessalvacion SS.org Regular

I really love my RG7620. I got it from a trade with my RGD7421. Changed the pickups to a BKP & Air Norton. Had it set-up by a pro-luthier. Action is so low, very comfortable to play. Lo Pro 7 is very stable. Awesome guitar! Pics to follow. :metal:

5. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

I had a 98 or 99 7620bk back somewhere around 2001. I got it at a shop used for $450 back then. I wanted it because of the old morbid angel I used to listen to like God of emptiness ect. I was 20 or so and didn't know that much about specs back then or even how to date an Ibanez. I don't even have a pic of it :( I knew it was awesome because I had an early 90's 570 a couple yrs prior to that. I was still mainly a drummer back then so most of my attention and money was spent there. I only had it acouple of months and was still playing drums in a band so I ended up selling it for money to get more drum stuff. Wish I never did, along with tons of other gear I had no idea how awesome it was at the time.

6. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

Here is my recently acquired 1999 Ibanez RG7620VK:

[​IMG]

I'm not in love with the current pickups (Evo7 in the bridge and D-Activator in the neck) but other than that, I'm pretty sure you would have to spend $1000+ to find a comparable 7 string.

7. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

I WILL own a VK some day....

8. WSchaferJR

WSchaferJR Stef B7

I owned a mint vk that I threw a CL/LF combo in, that thing was awesome.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

Damn, all the love for the VK finish is making me sorta wish mine wasn't refinished haha

Maybe I'll refinish my BK to the Vampire Kiss. It could be my RG7620BKVK! :lol:

10. areyna21

areyna21 SS.org Regular

Have a rg7620 vk and though it's a player I wouldn't have it any other way. Bought it for 300 at guitar center years back. It was hardtailed and had emgs in it so not perfect condition. My son dropped it and took a chunk out of the bottom. I contemplated painting it but I feel like I shouldn't. It is a guitar that will do anything and your not afraid to throw around. Rock solid neck that stays straight and just a comfy guitar to play. Just bought a liquifire still need to throw it in with my Warpig bridge. This guitar will probably always be with me because I have written almost everything on it.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

You'll love that pickup combo in it :yesway: I love it in mine haha

12. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

mine I just got back with new paint job was originally painted in VK

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I like this pickup combination in my JPX7; Petrucci knows what he's doing! :yesway:
    But for this guitar, I was pondering a pair of Lundgren M7's. They are completely foreign to me which is part of the reason I want to try them. Then again, I may not keep this guitar, in which case I'll leave the Dimarzio's in. Decisions, Decisions ! :scratch: All I know is the 6 strings are going first. :cheers:

14. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S SS.org Regular

I had been rocking a UV7BK ('greendot as generally known') since '91... and in 2000 I started looking again to see what was out there as a 'refret' option for my beloved UV, so as to share the load of fret wear with it.
    Happened upon the RG7-620GN in a local retailer... played it. WOW.
    First experience with the AANJ as well... stellar.
    I bought it; it was brand new showroom floor material.

It actually took a while to get that one settled in; I eventually realized that it suffered from the pinched stud and thick knife edge issues known during that time period, and once I corrected that... bango.
    ... then the fact of the two humbucker combined with special switch really started to sink in...
    That set the bar for me, whereas the Jems, and then Universe, had set the bar ahead of that for versatility.
    The RG7 wiring/switching scheme gave me all kinds of options without the honestly annoying middle single coil being /right/ where the sweet spot I prefer to pick lives...

I immediately set about putting in the Blaze Custom bridge pickup, as I'd discovered that some time before, and had put that in my UV to wonderful results.

... and /then/ I discovered how much I liked the neck pickup, the New7 neck (N2)

I have gone to great pains to equip any 7-string I have with that pickup, which has meant swapping, purchasing... fortunately there are many who immediately pull the set out of an RG7 and put in something else.
    To each their own; I have happily acquired several of those New7 necks as a result =]

I have 2 RG7s, the above-mentioned GN, plus a BK. and have since gathered up a couple of RG1527s as well... and while I have had tremendous satisfaction with the 1527s, I have a strong fondness for the LoPro7 (I believe the LoPro to be the ultimate Ibanez trem to date) so I gravitate a lot to those.
    Not to knock the EdgePro(7) trems; locking stud mod makes those uber-stable as well.

So, short statement; acquiring my RG7 new in 2000 was a real game-changer for me. All of my other 'shredders' have been touched by the influence that guitar has had on what I found to be my ideal setup - at least for now =]

cheers.

15. Alex6534

Alex6534 SS.org Regular

Here's some pics of my 7620 in Royal Blue with purple BKP Painkillers, how much more metal can you get?! :cool:

Question though - I'm after a fixed bridge 7 (7621 actually..) but having a hard time tracing one, whereas there are numerous 7620's flying about. If I was to block the trem and unlock the locking tuners would I be able to change tuning without worrying about the instrument becoming a train wreck? :lol:

Attached Files:

16. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Here's mine, an F97 and my first 7 which I've owned since 1998~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Story~

It started out as a BK and refinished it back in 2002 only to have it re-refinished back in 2007 and the white blazes were put in back in 2003. Also swapped 5-way switch with a 3-way. :yesway:

17. s4tch

s4tch SS.org Regular

This thread is long overdue. I consider the RG7620 the best affordable 7-string guitar by a mile. The model has of course some limitations, mainly because of the scale length, but if you don't tune below A or G#, this might just be the only 7-string you'll ever need.

I even love the understated looks of it. I'm not a huge fan of the RG line, still I find the VK incredibly sexy. I had two 7620s with that particular finish (1, 2), a 3rd with the Gray Nickel finish, and the 4th - a 3rd VK - is currently in transit, awaiting customs clearance, so I keep going back to the model.

As some others stated, I'm also happy with the original pickups. They tend to be just a tiny bit muddy on the lower string if you have floppy strings, but overall, they sound much better, much more natural than most factory pickups. The 5-way switch's 4th position splits the bridge pickup, giving a twangy, quite Strat-like tone, so these are not only metal machines.

I can't praise enough the Lo-Pro. One of the most durable, most reliable trems ever made. Just check my thread about the Gray guitar - that proves my point. If you don't want a trem, you don't need to ignore the 7620: I installed a tremol-no in the 2nd VK and it gave a 99% true illusion of a hardtail; tuning stability, sustain, attack were like on a hardtail, individual saddle height setting option was the only thing I missed.

As for the neck profile: the bubinga stripe neck is a bit skinnier, thinner than the original quartersawn one piece neck. I prefer the meatier, rounder early necks, but the flatter, post-'99 necks were fine, too.

Bottom line: if you have a 7620 and you don't like it anymore, that's fine. Drop me a PM and I'll buy it. :lol:

18. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Another pic.....back when I owned 3.....miss the GN and RB, especially the RB, it was mint!

[​IMG]

19. mikolo

mikolo SS.org Regular

My 99' 7620BK I just got a couple of days ago of craigslist for 460. Its a little worn but the neck is perfect, all it needs are new strings and intonation. The neck feels so much better then my 7321's. Pickups are not bad at all either!

[​IMG]

20. larry

larry ". . . . . . . ."

I had 2 7620's from '99, one flat gray and the other gloss black.
    [​IMG]

bought the black one first as a gift to myself for turning 19, the gray one followed at tax time. played the shit out of both of them but gravity eventually won. so, I salvaged remains from both casualties and created this mutt with some upgrades:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    specs:
    rg7620 neck and body
    q-tuner hi-z bridge
    q-tuner medium-z neck
    Schaller sure claw
    Schaller security locks w/ 1.5" screws
    new output jack
    new 3-way switch
    new tone pot w/ .22u cap
    dimarzio push/pull volume pot wired as blower switch

hasn't seen much action after rebirth though. m8m has been dominating, im afraid...