The Quake photos they don't want you to see! You won't believe #4!

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Hollowway, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Actually, you'll probably believe #4. And I'm quite sure they're fine with you seeing these pictures. :lol:

So, you might be saying, "Hollowway, why are you buying basses now?" Well, whenever I get an 8 string guitar to tune lower, people says, "Pffft, why don't you just get a bass!" So, I did. And now I'm tuning this way lower than normal. :lol: I'm not sure what those guys are going to tell me to do now.

Aaaaaanyway, I now have the pink Quake (Puake?) in my possession! It arrived late yesterday. Specs are as seen, and Nordstrand single coil pickups with a tone knob and also a high frequency tone knob. (37-40" scale.) I have it tuned C#0, F#, B, E, A. Skip has been super easy to work with, and, having been through this build (which turned out to be longer than originally anticipated) I'd feel comfortable giving him my money in the future. I'm paranoid about being scammed, but he's been really good with communication, etc.

Tha bass itself is very well built. I have zero issues with the fretwork, nut height, finish, etc. Definitely a nice instrument! I kind of want to get another one, and tune it either to G#00, or just to standard B. Either go lower, or get some reeeeallly articulate standard 5 string bass notes.

I have 36 lbs of tension for the lowest string. I actually tried tuning it up a minor third to E (which is an octave below the E on a regular bass), and it made virtually no difference in feel or tone. That low C# is soooo low it has this weird overtones going that reminds me of what a guy-wire on a telephone or power pole sounds like when you tap it. In fact, I remember hearing that the special effects guys on the original Star Wars went around to find a blaster sound, tapped on a guy-wire, and recorded that. It definitely has that wobbly high overtone sound to it. Is it useful? Yes and no. With such a low note, and the oscillation of the string at that long of a wavelength, it's not something you're going to slap and pop, or pump out eighth notes on. But, it's suuuper cool, and I think I can do some really neat things with it. It's like the lowest note on a piano. It's there for cool effect, but you're certainly not going to constantly use it. (And, I should point out I've only had a chance to play this through headphones. I'll try it out on the amp and cab tomorrow.)

Anyway, on with the pics! Most of these are Skip's official shots. But, I took one so you guys can see the heel, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

send nudes ... sorry i meant soundclips but my erection got in the way

3. Hollowway

Hahaha, yeah, I do plan to record something with it. It’ll be interesting to see how the low notes record.

Ebony and Beheroth like this.
  4. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Love it.

I've sketched-out that same-style headstock several times for a guitar, and it just hasn't looked right. I think the bigger tuners for the bass make it work. :shrug:

Hollowway likes this.
  5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Damn, yours is longer than mine!

Wolfos, Hollowway and Beheroth like this.
  6. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

So good to see a new Quake. Back of bass is nice. There is a lack of recordings of low notes from a Quake so any samples, raw or amplified will be appreciated. On the C# string i notice the heat shrink tube that secures the wrap wire against the core wire. I see on FB the set is .210 .158 .114 .086 .065, lovely thin gauges. Looks like one of their 'balanced sets'.

Hollowway likes this.
  7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Happy new bass day - that title was some serious clickbait... :flowers:

Just don't tune it higher because "why don't you just get a guitar!"

Hollowway likes this.
  8. saved

saved SS.org Regular

Can you post a pic from the side,and backside of the headstock?

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

HNGD! I'm disappointed in you @Hollowway -that bass isn't neon pink and doesn't have 8 strings

Hollowway likes this.
  10. Hollowway

Not neon, but pink! It actually came out a little more reddish. But it’s got the purple burst, too.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  11. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

If you want to play notes that low why don't you buy a neutron star and string it with 1268' strings for that uber low 20 below C!
    Challenge issued!

Seriously though nice looking bass. Not a fan of the headstock but it is quite unique. From my understanding 35' basses are considered long scale so 37-40 multiscale should be extra baritone. Congratulations and I'd be curious to listen to how it sounds!

12. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Awesome stuff! Sadly never got to try out such scale lengths yet as my 2nd Letts order went off the radar.
    How's it to play? Always wondered about the geometry of these. Do you notice the bridge being considerably further to your right?

Hollowway likes this.