The POD recording tips, tricks, and eq-ing thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7 Dying Trees, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

The only time I add reverb is on clean tones and lead tones and both have so many effects going on it doesnt make a whole big difference which one I use.

I dont always use reverb, but when I do, I use Spring Reverb.

2. bluediamond

bluediamond SS.org Regular

Hello, I bought a POD XT a week ago and I've just found this thread.
    I tried to nail Petrucci's train of thought tone, and here's what I come with:
    Treadplate sim with bass, mid on 9 o clock, treble, presence on 3 o clock, 57 off axis, also I found that adding gain from the amp kinda flub up the bass, so I use screamer, set too 100% gain, zero drive, 35% tone.. EQ set to slight boost at 440hz to add thickness, severe cut at 1.9khz harsh frequency, and moderate cut (3-5db) 8khz onward

3. benfan

benfan Why So Serious?

Do any of you guys have any good starting points to get a half decent bass tone out of Pod Farm 2. Im at a loss, every time i think iv nailed it, it never quite translates very well into Cubase. If anyone has any links to any presets they have used that would be great. I just need some reference points before i blow my brains out. The genre is metal, but im after a nice punchy tone with tonnes of clarity. Cheers.

4. Davey

Davey SS.org Regular

I have this problem with my POD X3 Live. When it is connected to my computer via USB and I'm listening to sound through it/recording with it, the audio will occasionally cut out for half a second. This is a real pain in the arse when recording because I have to re do the take. Sometimes it will record fine all day. Sometimes it stutters after 1 minute

I don't think it's the audio usb drop out issue I already had it fixed for that and when it did have that problem it would cut out for ages/completely after recording for only 30 seconds max. This is different

I've noticed that when it cuts out for a half second what happens is my computer fan gets louder, it's like my pc is stuttering. So I don't know if it's my pod or pc. Any ideas anyone?

ALSO, anyone know if you can still get the old ones with dodgy footswitches fixed for free? I haven't been able to since I needed the pod too much the last couple of years

5. damigu

damigu stay tuned

if your computer's fan kicks into high at that point, it's your computer that's causing the issue.

try increasing the buffer size of the POD's driver and in your recording program. this might result in higher latency (if you're listening through the computer and not from the POD's audio outs, that is), but should get rid of the stutters.

also, make sure you've closed all other programs in the background on your computer. audio/video stuff is very processor and memory intensive, so having an internet browser and other programs open at the same time can cause all sorts of hiccups like what you described.

6. Davey

Davey SS.org Regular

I think I know where to change buffer size in Reaper's options but where do I do it for the POD or is it the same thing?

7. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

So looking for a super sparkly chimey clean tone. Anyone have one wrote for an XT??

8. damigu

damigu stay tuned

it's been a while since i've had it hooked up to the computer, but IIRC there is a setting in the line6 driver (or perhaps in monkey that affects the driver?) where you can adjust the buffer for the driver itself.

i don't use reaper, so i'm not sure if reaper's adjustment is done to the driver or just for reaper's own performance independent of what soundcard is being used.

9. benfan

benfan Why So Serious?

Is it against the rules to bump this super old thread?

What do you guys using Pod farm 2 have your main output (top right corner) set to?

I'm unsure, previously i've had it around halfway (-12dB) but have recently read somewhere that it should be whacked all the way up to 0.0dB and then the faders used to adjust the volume before recording.

Are there not any issues with running the signal so hot into the DAW?

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I've always left mine all the way up. I just reduce the channel volume of the amp so I have plenty of headroom. As long as you're not clipping I don't think it should matter either way.

I wonder how many people still use the old XT models. I still do, and I've learned tons over the last year or so since I got back into electric guitar, since I forgot everything I remembered about how I used to EQ line 6 stuff.

11. benfan

benfan Why So Serious?

Volume from the amp or the send fader?

I never really questioned it before. I sort of taught myself everything to do with recording and using the thing but i watched the video Misha put up about recording guitars and he was talking about maxing the output into his DAW so it was as hot as possible before clipping.

12. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Volume from the amp.

I dunno, I'm by no means good at recording but I don't like getting as close to clipping as Misha did in his video. Maybe if it were the 80's and we were still recording on tape it would be worth doing, but these days the noise floor is going to be so low, you don't need a hot signal into the DAW. Boosting it louder in the DAW isn't going to make it significantly noisier at all.

I think someone went over that in his thread though.

13. benfan

benfan Why So Serious?

I've been having a hard time getting anything approaching a good tone when I have the output all the way up.

I've reverted back to using the patch I posted a few pages back. Dual amp with the Output at half way. I suppose as long it sounds good to my ears it doesn't matter if it's 'right' or not.

With the output cranked the signal is hot, but for high gain tones it's overkill when double-tracking, and when I roll back on the gain/drive the tone just falls away and leaves me with a pile of junk.

I've been playing around with it though, and the aforementioned patch sounds even better now i'm running it with my newly installed BKP Nailbomb.

14. Conner

Conner SS.org Regular

After 7 years of Struggling with Fizz from AMP Models in the X3 live

This is the Fix - don't use the parametric EQ after the amp, it does not fix the Fizz effectively to leave you with a good sound

Do:

1. Set the amp tone knobs to midway - 50% to start. The presets are many times way extreme

2. Set the Microphone to Condenser - it is flatter and doesn't boost the cap out of 5k and leaves the highs alone. The SM57 sim is the problem. it boosts the crap out if 5k and you cannot eq it out with the onboard tools.

3. Once you do that now it may sound a little dull or even a lot dull/mush - you can use the amp tone knobs to add back some treble and presence. This works.

That is it.

Line 6 has to know this is the problem, I am guessing that they don't want people to know because then people won't upgrade to the HD models or Helix

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Or run it into a poweramp>real cab and avoid using their terrible Cabinet and Mic IR sounds?.
    Thats what I plan to do with mine long term.

16. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I just bypass the internal cabs altogether and use 3rd party IRs. The amps sound SO much better it's almost ridiculous.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

set it up earlier. Sent the John Browne (MONUMENTS) tones to it (including an ambient tone I found online) sounds sweet!. Super metallic (I use EMG 81) twangy sounding!. No doubt would sound sweet into a real cabinet but even the stock tones he has dialed in sound decent. Im going to get the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 for this pedal board aswell as the Line 6 g10 and the Digitech Whammy DT and use that specifically for small/quick gigs.
    Would be perfect for that.