The POD recording tips, tricks, and eq-ing thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7 Dying Trees, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JDWhite

JDWhite SS.org Regular

Hey All,

New user, 1st post. I saw this thread from Google and joined immediately. Thank you all for the great tips. I have had an X3 for awhile, but am still very new to it. especially after reading these posts, I realize I have no clue what I am doing, so Thanks.

A question I have would be how to get just a basic nice sounding metal mix. What recommendations would you guys have for possibly a left and right (dual tone) which amps, cabs, and bass amps? What percentage of left and right pan etc........? Maybe something clean and tight like KSE? (just for example)

I use cubase with EZdrummer (I know there are much better drums out there, but cannot afford metal foundry right now ;) plus I have heard my buddy Leech's recordings with EZdrummer, and they are sick (although he uses foundry now ;)

So what do you guys think?

Thanks again for the already wealth of knowledge,

JD

2. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

I know I'm not fully answering your question, but I would like to make a quick point. If you recording, rather than creating a dual tone and panning one amp full left and one amp full right, I think it sounds better to record a mono track with one amp, pan it left, then record another mono track with the second amp, and pan it right. In other words, double-tracking sounds better than dual tones.

I like to make dual amp tones to use dual cab/mic choices, not to mix two different amps. I pan both tones to center. I use one bright cab (Brit V30 4x12) with a bright mic (SM57 on axis) and one darker cab (Treadplate 4x12) with a darker mic (421 Dynamic).

When I'm recording I want to do two takes with that same tone, then I'll pan one like 60-70% right and the other 60-70% left. If it doesn't sound good, it's because the playing between the tracks wasn't in time. TIGHTER!!!! as Adam D would say!

I like the Mississippi Criminal (5150) the best. I think KSE generally use the 5150 to record. I want to say I heard the End of Heartache tone was 5150+Dual Recto. KSE's tone is very dark, though - I would use the Big Bottom to get the 5150 tone. I think the Diamondplate model is the best Recto in the X3. I have a patch that uses such a setup, but it's not EQ'ed in for a KSE tone.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/X3vsHD/maB_X3vsHD_3xRecto+5150.l6t

I would change the Mississippi Criminal to Big Bottom, trim a bit of treble on both amps, and reduce the volume on the Big Bottom.

3. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

Hey meambobbo, since I have an XT and cant do the whole dual tone jobby what settings do you use on your Mississippi Criminal?? Im still striving to get that awesome almost perfect tone out of one amp!

4. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

Im in the same boat with my XT Live. Great place to learn!!

Welcome to the forums!!

5. pitbulltodd

pitbulltodd SS.org Regular

halfway decent metal tone using podfarm and recabinet3

6. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

So after tweaking with some tones o realized I have cab sims on all my patches that I fun through my stack. So I turned them all off and it changed the tone! So now I have to go back and redo all my tones to get them to sound better with no cab modelling!

7. pitbulltodd

pitbulltodd SS.org Regular

used pod farm to try and recreate the 1978 van halen tone

8. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

is it worth upgrading to an HD if you already have an X3?

9. damigu

damigu stay tuned

the HD does have a more professional sound. not quite as good as AXE-FX, but definitely a step up from the X3.

that said, i have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. i'll stick with my X3 for a number of years still--i've pretty much got it set to do everything i want at this point so there is no reason for me to upgrade.

10. Handbanana

haha so its either axe fx or nothing right? I should probably just keep mine and tweak it.

11. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

I thought going from x3 to hd was quite a leap. Esp if you plan to use the inboard cab/mic sims. If you use external Irs or a guitar power amp and cab then the difference is less profound but still higher quality imo

12. Handbanana

I plan on using whatever sounds good. I plan on buying an ultra when i get back from deployment anyways, so I might as well hold out.

13. cyb

cyb Tune Low Play Slow

I used to own an axe standard and now I have a pod hd. (long story lol)

I think one of the biggest differences is the cab sims. The stock cab sims on the pod are alright but if you turn off the cab on the pod and use a third party impulse like redwirez you can get some really, really good results.

14. Rob_Ec

Rob_Ec Banned

the Hd pod is epic sounding once tweaked properly

15. Davey

Davey SS.org Regular

I need some general advice on using the x3 live, live. Not a fan of how it sounds through my amp with or without cab sims on. Was thinking of getting a 2x12 cab or something like that, would i need a poweramp or preamp aswell? I like the tones I get for recording when I dial them in but I use computer speakers for that. They sound good thorugh a proper PA too. How can I go about recreating them live? Sorry I'm pretty nooby when it comes to the gear sides of things!

16. damigu

damigu stay tuned

you have different options for live sound:

1/ feed it (with cab sim on) directly into the mixing board that runs the PA system. no mic or cab or power amp required (except the amp that run the PA, of course)

2/ turn cab sim off, run it into a power amp, and run the cab off of the power amp (this is what i do).
    that's how i use my X3 live.
    it takes a little bit of tweaking to get it to sound completely right (particularly the treble frequencies), but it does sound great once you get the tone settings how you like them.

17. TrashJuice

TrashJuice SS.org Regular

edit - nevermind.

18. Davey

Davey SS.org Regular

I might do something like option 2 just cos I don't wanna rely on the PA system of everywhere I play. Then again I don't know whether to just ditch the pod and get a head+cab instead. But then again everyone who uses a head and cab always has a load of pedals in front of it anyway...

Another POD question: I have a hard time finding satisfying reverb settings. Were there any reverb tips posted in this thread/anyone got some general advice? I always find it soundsa little harsh and not warm enough

19. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

I run my XT Live into the power section of my head and use it to power my 4x12. I like it alot and I cant even do all the dual tone shit and what not. They just takes LOADS of tweaking and make sure you have the output setting on the appropraite output you are using, like me I use Stack Poweramp.

20. damigu

damigu stay tuned

i'm the wrong person to ask about reverb. i don't use it in my guitar tones.

on recordings i usually do add a bit afterward, but i never use it in the tone itself--i let the room i'm in provide any reverb.