The Pickup DI Track Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rook, Jun 9, 2011.

1. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Guys, this thread has been a long time coming.
    First of all, we need to all use the same format, so please can we record at 44.1khz 24 bit.
    HI Z input always! if you've got a one megohm input you'll have a nice bright sound, don't use the line input as you'll get a very dull sound and it'll ruin the DI of whatever pickup you have.
    No normalising please as its not a true reflection of the output of the pickup.
    Can i suggest we go a further and use Voxengo's SCAN audio analyser plug in to show the frequency range of the pickup.
    Riffs that have some low chugging and open power chords are great for DI'ing, something simple so that we all can play the same riff and compare the pickups in terms of frequency response.
    I'll upload my Dimarzio Evo neck and Seymour Duncan SH5 once I get my guitar back.
    Any suggestions on a simple chugging riff?

2. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Not in the market for pickups, I was going to put some up for folks to hear. They probably come with free terrible playing, and nothing near so upbeat as what you threw out there.

I don'y even know what reammping is really, except in passing but it sounds like something I want to get into. My question was more is a Hi-z input a good enough substitute for a DI box when I lay something down, so that it has a good sonic spectrum.

3. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

Sirmyghin, a Hi Z input is essential to getting a great sound.
    I know because my old audio interface had a low 250 ohm input and its at the cost of top end.
    My new audio interface has a one megohm input and becuase of this i get a lot more treble. The difference is massive

4. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Oh I see, I assumed you were asking about gear needed for reamping, not tracking DIs! In that case, yes your Hi-Z input will probably be fine, though a quality pre and DI would ensure sonic preservation and a low noise floor.

5. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I agree that we should have a set sample rate and stuff, that's all cool, including too many plugins I think is gunna start to limit how many people can contribute and probably ins't necessary. We're not looking for technical analysis here so much as a simple way that people can plug a line out from their computer into their rig and hear a pickup as if it were there.

I don't think normalising is a good idea, as was stated above, as I don't think it's incredibly natural, I'm open to opinions either way here though.

I've been recording (tests) so that I go through a DI into my Mac's line in (the buffered signal won't 'see' the input impedance of the mac) so that when I turn the volume on the mac up full and plug the headphone jack into my amp it sounds exactly the same as with everything bypassed, which so far has been very easy. It has also worked for my JPX and my Strat with modification and you can hear the obvious difference in output.

If someone wants to post some tab for some riffs for everyone who's going to post to learn and play (a simple chuggy riff, a simple leady riff) then that'd be cool.

Once we've set a list of easy to follow guidelines, I'll ask to get the thread cleaned up and put everything in the OP :)

As for recording, a Hi-Z input is all you really need, you're basically just looking for a buffer between your pickups and sound card/interface. It's not to difficult to get something that's more than good enough. I've had success in the past using a non true bypass pedal's buffer and a mixer, lol.

As for putting it from here to the amp, as said above I've been recording so that a maxed heaphone out gives a true representation, but we can agree on this. You don't need a reamping box really, most computers' line out jacks will be fine, if it isn't you'll know about it pretty quick :lol:

Keep suggestions coming folks :)

6. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Just one thing to say in favour of normalisation:

Everyone will be tracking their DIs at varying levels, so the resulting differences would make it impossible to tell whether one is hotter than another because of the pickup or the way it was tracked. Normalisation at least allows us to gauge the compression characteristic of the pickup on an even playing field.

7. Rook

Rook Electrifying

This is true, but how then would you gauge output?

Mind you if it's only the peaks that are limited to (say) -0.1dB, how will the rest of the sound be affected?

8. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

You can't, but not normalising wouldn't help either :lol:
    The rest of the sound is unaffected. Normalising is just an automated volume adjustment, it increases the level until the loudest peak is at -0.1db.

9. SirMyghin

Funny you mention a buffer I have a BYOC confidence boost sitting infront of me that needs to be built (just a buffer),.. Motivation... maybe. :lol: (it is just an adjustable gain buffer circuit)

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

You're not wrong...

Normalising is starting to make more sense, I guess you'll know from your own experience with your setup whether something coming out excessively hot.

Kyle, in theory, a transconductance amplifier should have unity gain :)

EDIT: I should stop calling you by an abbreviated screen name, man :lol:

11. SirMyghin

Aye, but I can adjust it to unity so its all dandy. Kyle is fine, I am not picky. I have to actually solder the whore though, not to mention make a few cables and fix one.

12. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I'm quoting this because I have no idea whether it's intentional or not but it's hilarious.

13. SirMyghin

Not sure why that is funny, I have a PCb and some components to solder to make the buffer thing. The buffer is the whore.

14. FrancescoFiligoi

FrancescoFiligoi Count Blastula

Thanks a bunch Nolly, just tried all these DIs thru a quick setup (Peavey Revalver, better than nothing) and I have to say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the Black Dog. For sure my favourite between these.

15. Guamskyy

Guamskyy Hwat you call me?

This might be a burden, but for us ERG players out there that want to hear how BKPs sound with 8 strings, if anyone does DI's of the 8 string BKPs, I'll be a happy camper!

16. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

I suggest that we keep the recording level to no more than -2db, if we get clipping in a DI it can't be removed and sounds horrible. Use your input trim (if you have one) on your mixer and you'll be fine.
    If anyone is using Cubase it does have a function to analyse your audio and show you both peak and average volume. Its the average that we are most concerned about rather than the peak.

17. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Yeah, I loved the Black Dog, it's got such a snarly attack and the lean bass due to the lower wind works very nicely to control the Les Paul's low end. :metal:

18. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I guess the best thing now is to get a couple of clips up here and we'll see how we go!

19. SirMyghin

Had the ASAT out today (not the C66 w/ Rebel Yells) so this is what you get, I am not typically a metal player but I pretended (at about 1/2 metal speed probably) so you folks can pretend as I wank some open power chords and palm muting. Tomorrow or the next time I pick up the C66 i'll do up the BKPs reall quick (hog body, maple cap, maple neck, RW board, floyd)

I was really surprised how good the chords sounded direct in though. Don't worry the poser metal is right after the chords, the second time you hear the chords I did a quick throw to the neck pickup for reference.

Normalized to -0.1, I think, hopefully? Used a normalize function and a peak limitter but I don't think it engaged so should be good.

Pickup Brand: G&L
    Model: ASAT special
    Magnet Type (if optional): Ceramic
    Position: Bridge / Neck, no in between, switches with hearing long chords
    Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): swamp ash/maple/maple
    Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic): G&L saddle lock
    And if it matters to some : played with my agate pick (influences attack)

http://www.filedropper.com/dryasatspec

The link has arrived. (recorded 192k , 32 bit for those wanting such info, it is something like 100mb, I can make it smaller if you guys want but compression likely defeats the purpose)

We should really put together a standard riff set/bitrate, etc

Rook likes this.
  20. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

For clarification sake... Is this like an audible version of our "___ Pickup Guide(s)"?