The Pickup DI Track Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Rook, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Ok, completely inspired by this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/160162-warpig-di-tracks.html

So if you're gunna take anything from this thread or contribute anything to it be sure to rep 'artrulesmyworld' (just thank the above linked thread).

This can be the official thread to post your own DI tracks of your pickups, why you may ask? As the above mentioned genius suggested, if you're interested in a pickup, simply find the DI track here, and plug the output of your computer into your rig. Obviously the volume has an impact, I'm sure we can devise a way of setting your output volume at the correct level.

You should upload your DI clips to soundcloud, link it here and give the following format:

Pickup Brand:
    Model:
    Magnet Type (if optional):
    Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard):
    Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic):

So an example would be:

Pickup Brand: DiMarzio
    Model: Crunch Lab
    Magnet Type (if optional): Standard (Ceramic)
    Position: Bridge
    Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): Alder/Mahogany/Ebony
    Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic): Fender style floating (JP bridge)

Please contribute any advice on recording demos, and also request any DI tracks here.

Remember to thank artrulesmyworld!

EDIT: Here are some of the forum members' contributions...

Thanks to nolly

"The guitar is a 80s Gibson Les Paul Custom, which is I guess what one might describe as medium-bright for an LP. There are two exceptions to this - the Aftermath is in my Blackmachine B2, and the Sinner is in a Fender Custom Shop Relic '62 Strat. Note there are a couple of lower output models in there too: the Riff Raff and Black Dog."

BKP Aftermath

BKP Black Dog

BKP Cold Sweat

BKP Holy Diver

BKP Miracle Man

BKP Nailbomb

BKP Painkiller

BKP Riff Raff

BKP Sinner

BKP Warpig (AlNiCo)

BKP Warpig (Ceramic)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to SirMyghin

Pickup Brand: G&L
    Model: ASAT special
    Magnet Type (if optional): Ceramic
    Position: Bridge / Neck, no in between, switches with hearing long chords
    Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): swamp ash/maple/maple
    Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic): G&L saddle lock
    And if it matters to some, played with my agate pick (influences attack)

Clip:http://www.filedropper.com/dryasatspec

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to joaocunha

"Guitar used(link)

Woods: Alder with maple top, maple neck and ebony fretboard;
    Bridge: TonePros fixed bridge;"

Bridge Position

DiMarzio X2N Clean

DiMarzio X2N Riff

DiMarzio X2N Solo

DiMarzio Air Classic Clean

DiMarzio Air Classic Riff

DiMarzio Air Classic Solo

DiMarzio Virtual PAF Clean

DiMArzio Virtual PAF Riff

DiMarzio Virtual PAF Solo

Motor City Pickup Solution Clean

Motor City Pickup Solution Riff

Motor City Pickup Solution Solo

Rio Grande TX Clean

Rio Grande TX Riff

Rio Grande TX Solo

Seymour Duncan '59 Clean

Seymour Duncan '59 Riff

Seymour Duncan '59 Solo

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 Clean

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 Riff

Seymour Duncan Custom 5 Solo

Seymour Duncan SH13 Dimebucker Riff

Seymour Duncan SH13 Dimebucker Solo

Seymour Duncan SH13 Dimebucker Clean

Neck Position

BKP Cold Sweat Clean

BKP Cold Sweat Solo

DiMarzio Air Classic Clean

DiMarzio Air Classic Solo

DiMarzio Air Norton Clean

DiMarzio Air Norton Solo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Stealthtastic

Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig

Pickup Brand: EMG
    Model: 707 (bridge pup)
    Position: bridge
    Guitar woods (body/neck/fingerboard): ash/maple/maple
    Bridge type (e.g. floyd rose, tunomatic): OFR 7

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32432031/EMG 707 Loomis DI.wav

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep 'em coming folks, if this turns into a bit of an Archive, I'll start listing them by Brand and putting minor details next to them (who made the recording and what guitar). If you want more info, then find the posts in the thread, I'll link the individual posts if it comes to it.

2. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

When I get some free time I'll be able to contribute EMG 707's and a BKP Nailbomb 7.

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Amazing! I just reamped Nolly's clips from the above linked thread through my whole setup - EB Volume pedal, Maxon OD 808, Mesa Roadster, Line 6 DL4; everything worked as it should! It was like he was in the room playing through my amp!

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

This is a really good idea :)
    I think we should normalize the clips to -0.1dB? Isn't a reamp box also needed for playing back the clips?
    I could do a DiMarzio DSonic 7 in the next few days.

5. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Guys, I have the DIs from the whole Bare Knuckle clip session, so that's every contemporary BKP playing that same section. It'd be a fair bit of work, but if there is demand, I will bounce them all.

6. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Nolly, you are a god that does so much already for music in this community. I don't think we should ask any more of you! :lol:

7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

If you'll do the work I'll gladly sticky it.

Same goes for everybody else, if this starts getting contributions we can sticky it to make it more available.

8. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Normalising is a good call, as for a reamp box, my setup works fine just from the headphone out...

Go into more detail, the better this can be well...

...the better!

9. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Sounds like a plan. I'll speak to Tim and see if this is something he'd be happy to host on the BKP server since it'll be a fair amount of MBs worth of wavs

10. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I love this!!

Thoughts on normalisation - some pickups are obviously louder than others...? Anybody have any thoughts on this? My test tracks thus far sound fine straight recorded if I plug my output into the clean channel, what comes out sounds exactly like what's going in. EXACTLY alike, it's creepy actually. Normalising them adds noise and appears to be making them louder.

At the moment I have the recording level at 50% and my computer output at 100%, I'm thinking I should reverse this.

Stickiness would be awesome, can't wait to reamp some of the stuff people are offering here.

Nolly, as many as you can be bothered to do would be more than awesome, I'd be really interested to hear them.

11. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

I'm normalising my DIs because I'm working on the assumption that my playing was fairly consistent from pickup to pickup. I used a very clean preamp/DI setup so background the noise floor should be minimal.

12. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

I'll do this when I have a chance, for both my G&L soaps and the Rebel Yells, I am curious to run the spectral analyser over it anyway. I like this idea a lot.

The question is this: Will it end the which pickup threads. My theory... no.

I don't have the equipment to play it back like a whole lot of folks (reamping boxes and such) but I will put them up for others benefit.

13. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Alright, I've bounced out a fair few (wasn't as time-consuming as I'd expected). I'll host them from the Red Seas Fire site for now, I'll give links once they're up.

14. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I did some DI tracks of my guitars a while back so they don't fit the format but they might be useful. Should I post them? They are all in on track but 3 guitars with neck and bridge clips.

15. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Alright, here we go guys, a load of Bare Knuckle DIs from the website clip sessions. The DIs were captured through an Audient MiCO preamp/DI; I should stress that the recording process for these clips was fairly manic (we did 200+ clips in 4 days), so apologies for any sloppy playing/editing/clipping you might encounter, though I don't think there is anything bad enough to hamper the comparison experience. They are all .wavs exported at 44.1/24
    The guitar is a 80s Gibson Les Paul Custom, which is I guess what one might describe as medium-bright for an LP. There are two exceptions to this - the Aftermath is in my Blackmachine B2, and the Sinner is in a Fender Custom Shop Relic '62 Strat. Note there are a couple of lower output models in there too: the Riff Raff and Black Dog.

Aftermath

Black Dog

Cold Sweat

Holy Diver

Miracle Man

Nailbomb

Painkiller

Riff Raff

Sinner

Warpig (AlNiCo)

Warpig (Ceramic)

(Techno, not sure if you want to sticky the whole thread or just this post in a separate thread of its own?)

joaocunha likes this.
  16. otop

otop SS.org Regular

This is really cool Nolly :yesway: All companies should release a set of DIs so people can see how the tone works..

You should release the MIDI of the backing track so people can put it in a mix.

17. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

It'd be a cool idea otop, but it would require a load more work to bounce out all the other guitar tracks so it's double-tracked etc.. Besides, really the idea is that people can make comparative assessments of the pickups - they can't really know exactly how a certain pickup works in their mix until they have it in their own guitar.

18. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Nolly, to make this work right will I be needing to use a DI box, or can I get away with a High-Z input mode on my interface?

19. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

Its pretty wild how much clearer the aftermath sounds in the Blackmachine. I'm not sure if that clarity is a characteristic of the pickup or the guitar itself though.

20. -Nolly-

-Nolly- SS.org Regular

Well, you'll be needing an output rather than an input sir!
    Although theoretically you should use a reamp box to convert the low-Z output to high-Z signal for your amp, many people just use a standard line out with little or no issue.

I think it's really the guitar. You're going from a fat-bodied 24.75" scale singlecut 24.75" hammer to a wafer-thin 25.5" doublecut scalpel. :)