The Panama Papers

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Captain Butterscotch, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Well, holy f4ck. 2.6 terabytes of data.

About the Panama Papers

Here are the famous politicos in ‘the Wikileaks of the mega-rich’

2. jeremyb

jeremyb SS.org Regular

And sadly I doubt anything will come of it :(

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

The rest of the world needs to take a page out of Iceland's book.

4. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Guys, we need to get mad about this. Every dollar they avoid taxes on robs normal people of schools, roads, healthcare, and countless other government services. The greed of the world's most wealthy knows no bounds and they need to be punished for it. The extent of this is staggering. Tell everyone you know about this. Spread the word. Sh!t is about to go down.

5. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

The super rich are using offshore/hidden accounts to avoid taxes.

In other recent news: Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria has been assassinated in Sarajevo, the Hindenburg exploded spectacularly while attempting to land in New Jersey, and the sky is blue.

Stay tuned for further developments.

6. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

I literally just got back from holiday out there before it kicked off!

7. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

I agree with your sentiment, but I have little idea how to act. The people in my life that I'm close to and could actually have a substantial conversation with me about these leaks already know at least as much as I know, and already feel the same way I feel. We're talking about it, but it's an echo chamber of shock and concern.

The people in my life that probably lack an awareness of this issue are ignorant of it because they are ignorant about most of the world's events. They would not be staggered by the extent of this; at best they would be unsurprised and at worst they might consider it acceptable (after all, governments are wasteful so it's better to withhold the money and invest it wisely :nuts:).

I mean, I have a platform. I have a curriculum to teach to my Year 8 classes, but I do what I can to connect what the school wants me to teach to current events (as do most teachers I've met). I could try to talk about the Panama Papers in class, or with other teachers at school, but there is widespread apathy based not on indifference, but on a lingering sense of hopelessness. We all know that rich organisations and individuals take advantage of the systems that were created to support and protect the least advantaged. The only 'big' things we can do to change that is vote and protest. The effect of these actions on party policy connected to tax collection is not as large as many would think.

So, aside from 'spreading the word', what can / should I do in reaction to this? If shit is about to go down, is it more important to bring the tax avoiders to judgement, or protect myself financially (not that I'd know how)?

I don't mean to promote apathy, I'm just trying to put forward some of the central concerns of many people I've spoken to over the last few days, for which I had no answers.

8. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

9. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

In the distorted way I see reality...the people robbing to their Countries are TRAITORS of their Countries, they should be pubblically executed with a single bullet in their hands (everything else would cost too much) and every single cent in their possession or in possession of their parents, grandparents, siblings, wives/husbands/lovers, sons, grandsons, cousins, contacts in gmail should be seized.

10. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

"Distorted" seems like an accurate description of that view.

11. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Why Iceland? Yes their PM has done so, but everyone has shady PMs these days. The Icelandic people are pretty much ready to rip his head off, so I don't think others need to do much about it.

The biggest case in Denmark is that the second largest bank has helped out with doing this for various people (in other news I might have an upcoming job-interview with said bank .. what wonderfull timing :lol:) But yeah the responsible people - both those who have done it as well as the people who have helped making it possible needs to locked up for good while having to pay every cent they cheated for back + interest!

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^I only meant that the rest of us need to be as up-in-arms about it as they are, forcing their thieving leader to resign.

13. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Ah okay, that made sence :)

14. asher

asher So Did We

I wish I could have any confidence that this would lead to anything changing.

15. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Really no surprises.

Especially in how little the British press are mentioning our Govt. hopelessly corrupt SOBs the lot of them. And with their own recent finger pointing at others, another great show of hypocrisy on their behalf.

16. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I only wish this had come to light a hand-full of months sooner, say, before the primaries started. That said, it may still prove timely. I've already seen a lot of noise about this angle, in my feed(s), today:

Not to mention headlines like "The Panama Papers could hand Bernie Sanders the White House", "Bernie Sanders On the Panama Papers: Told You So", "Why the Panama Papers Could Catapult Bernie Sanders to..", etc, etc.

If news about the papers spreads quickly enough, it could end up being a major issue for this election cycle.

I'm not positing that any President, alone, is capable of bringing about the necessary changes to the system. However, I do suggest that having one who at least wants to do something about the problem, is heaps better than one who ignores that there's a problem in the first place.

Anyway, I swear I'm not trying to steer the conversation into suggesting anyone vote for anyone, or whatever. Ultimately, I'm suggesting that those who feel passionately about this topic spread the word. Presently, it doesn't much matter if any of us know how to solve the problem, or have anything of merit to contribute. We're at the earliest stages of "people just need to be aware that this is a thing that exists". If word spreads far enough (hopefully sooner rather than later), collective awareness will inevitably lead to the conversations that will lead to the solutions. None of that happens, though, if those of us who care don't talk about it.

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

In my country this kind of people evading taxes are very proud of the FLAG and the Spanish NATIONALITY, they tend to be very moralizing in their speeches about people who get a very small finantial aid from the government since there is no job for anyone. They're heavy monarchy-supporters, they like to wear the flag anywhere they can, they love bullfighting and going to church, and they say you don't love your country because you don't support killing animals or you hate the hypocritical roman church or you don't have the flag in every single corner of your car and shirt.

Being a patriot is not about that, it means paying your taxes for your fellow countrymen to build a better nation, especially if you earn so much, greedy bastards. This mofos can suck my d*ck.

18. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

If I had enough money I'd probably try to avoid paying taxes as much as I can, but in huge parts due to the fact that the only thing I trust this government (and all previous ones) to do is waste the better part of it. That aside: If you're not paying your taxes etc., you're still not only not paying your bills, others have to pay them for you, most of who probably have less than you to begin with, so I'd say one should just charge them like regular thiefs. And put them into the same cells as those.

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It's practically like saying "I'm a greedy asshole". I think you don't actually mean it. You shouldn't think that way!
    Of course the government can't spend your specific tax money exactly how you specifically believe they should. That's ridiculous! Imagine how many Noahs Ark museums would be municipally owned in the Bible Belt.

20. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

You have a point there. If I am part of a community, I have to do something for that community, the more able I am to do something, the more I will do.
    I'm not talking about not spending the money for what I think would be good, there are various NGOs and the Bundesrechnungshof (wikipedia tells me it translates to Federal Court of Auditors) who put the amount of tax money that goes to waste in Germany at somewhere between 2 and 10%. Some of the things on that list are just absurd.