The official Sabre Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by sabreguitars, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuliusJahn

JuliusJahn Luthier

I see they offered EUGG a 20% off on one of their in stock wraiths. Must be eager to move it?

2. Drapes

Drapes Banned

I believe the guitar is still in customs and has been there a while.

This wraith is being moved as this is one a customer decided after completion he can't afford it! Same with the Talon that is in stock with 10% off - They are in stock so need to be sold as been around too long.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Last warning: put your affiliations in your post signature or you're gone.

4. eclipze1

eclipze1 SS.org Regular

I have just received my Sabre Syren 7.
    Thanks, Chris and SabreGuitars.

5. jameskipp

jameskipp SS.org Regular

hi guys,

chris received my money to start the build early februari 2014 and im still waiting on my guitar or a response to my attempts to contact him.

im usually a calm person, but this whole business is starting to freak me out.

maybe that drapes guy can help me get my guitar done?

6. anunnaki

anunnaki Sevenstring Noob

Sabre are running a raffle with some great prizes and it's for a good cause.
    I entered yesterday, here's the link Sabre 2015 Charity Raffle
    Just thought you guys might be interested!

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Are all Sabre guitars sold at raffle at this point?

8. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Ah yeah, now watch them build the raffle guitar before all other still waiting customs.

3030 quid made already. And that's all going to charity, huh?

9. anunnaki

anunnaki Sevenstring Noob

Well as far as I can tell the guitars up for the raffle have already been built..
    And I think it'd be pretty ....ty to steal charity money if that's what you're implying..

10. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I don't think there's charity money being "stolen" per se, but this setup makes it an inherently grey area. For instance, I've seen available Sabre guitars listed before like "This guitar would normally cost X" where X is $500-800 more than I've ever seen anyone pay for a Sabre guitar -- more than a good Daemoness at the time. Of course if you sell on the open market you sometimes find you have to negotiate your price a bit to find a buyer, but in the raffle scheme you set the price, potentially a much higher one.

So I'd be curious to know what that price is for this particular guitar.

Also worth noting that everyone wins: Sabre sells a guitar full price, the charity gets some money, and participants participate freely. It's just not necessarily the act of being charitable that drives these things.

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I'm curious how this is actually playing out as well. What SHOULD happen is that ALL of the money goes to charity. If he's deducting what he'd like to get for the guitar, and then donating the rest to charity, that's no different than someone buying his guitar (at an inflated price) and then donating money directly to charity. There's no point in doing that, other than to leverage a charity in order to make more money on a guitar than he normally would. But, based on the way he's running his business, it appears that he probably is doing just that. I have to say, I really don't care for this guy, and this seems to be going the way of the typical new luthier gets behind on orders, organizes runs, gets mad at customers, runs out of money, disappears with customers' money. Sad if that's the case.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well, I suppose he should be deducting his costs and throwing the rest to MSF based on this FB post:
    "As with last year's raffle Sabre will be donating 100% of the profits to MSF."

So it won't be all the money, but if he has a modest view on profits it's still nice. Agreed, would be great to see some transparency.

Yea, whole thing makes me sad as I thought the wraith was a great design, the Sabre 6 3/3 headstock is possibly my favorite headstock design to pop up here, and I had really high hopes. In fact, I was super close to ordering a Sabre two times - one prevented when my internet was out for two days, the second when Lorcan beat me to that unclaimed crazy maple top which became this raffle's first prize guitar. But now I just hear bad things and see weird behavior.

13. Drapes

Drapes Banned

As some of you know EUGG have supported the raffle so have Bareknuckle Pickups, Two Notes engineering, Winspear Picks and Driftwood Amps.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  14. sabreguitars

sabreguitars Banned

I'd like to clarify our position here - we've intentionally not posted on SS for a while, but I had thought we were pretty clear on how it was going to run. Looking back at the wording of the original raffle announcement I can see how it would be slightly ambiguous but let me be perfectly clear here how it is all going to work out.

Last year's raffle was a slightly different animal in that the idea was spawned as a result of a customer not being able to complete his build for financial reasons. We ended up donating £2000 to MSF and kept £800 to cover the cost of the instrument. Don't forget that many of the tickets were cashed back in as they are also £30.00 sabre discount vouchers which were redeemable against new and existing builds.

This year is even simpler. Sabre guitars will not benefit financially in any way from the 2015 raffle. We aim to raise £8775.00 (300 tickets at £30.00 minus 2.5% PayPal fees) ALL of which will either be donated directly to MSF or will be used to fund our aid mission to Europe. On top of our fundraising we have also sourced over 50 sleeping bags, 3 large tents: cooking equipment and blankets. so far over £650 of the money raised has been paid by customers with builds currently in progress meaning that Sabre has effectively donated this money themselves at no cost to the purchaser and a number of other tickets have been bought and already used towards new builds. Sabre is also donating the money to fund the van, it's insurance and fuel so that more of th money raised can go directly where it's needed. At the end of the raffle (assuming all tickets are sold.) we will have raised almost £9000 for MSF and the Syrian refugees and Sabre will have personally donated over £2500 of that as well as £3000 worth of guitar stock which we are not taking any recompense for.

We do this once a year for the sole reason of trying to do a little good and hopefully will carry on for years to come but it's pretty sad that discussions like the one above happen by the chronically ill-informed when nobody bats an eyelid if some random flips their blackmachine for £12,000 on eBay or Daemoness auction a guitar and people bid over £8k.

15. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Did this guy get his guarantee or a response yet or is it all slightly delayed?

16. Drapes

Drapes Banned

Yes he messaged the Facebook Page, Chris doesn't check/see peoples messages here and then people who do post sometimes don't provide updates.

17. loqtrall

loqtrall Banned

Not getting in the middle of all this (no affiliation with Sabre nor do I have a build ordered or own one of his guitars), but from an outside perspective it looks like a lot of people are hopping on the "this luthier is backlogged and ripping people off" bandwagon simply because the guy doesn't provide constant updates on this specific forum.

It seems even more silly considering many customers with complaints about Sabre have either had their problem resolved or haven't even posted an update on the situation themselves.

Everybody runs in to hiccups, guys. Don't attempt to crucify the guy just because he's hit a few.

I mean, really? Accusing him of ripping people off? Saying it's BS that he won't work full-time with a broken jaw? Implying that he's going to keep all the donations? Then calling anyone that tries to calm the situation "a shill"? And all of this simply because he doesn't provide constant updates on your preferred social hub?

That's some real schoolyard bs.

With how petty a lot of you are acting and how hastily some of you are to throw blind accusations with little to no evidence, I'm surprised the guy continues responding here at all.

That's all I had to say. Again, not trying to start a war, just stating my simple observations.

18. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Clearly you're just choosing what you want to hear to argue against, and not what people are actually saying. That doesn't help anything either.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Dude, completely tangential what people sell their guitars for on the free market. It's obvious that donating a ton of money to a good cause is great, and good on you for pushing for that. At the same time, if Sabre guitars is donating £2500 of their own money, and guys are still waiting for refunds, then it's not very responsible, is it? Are there Sabre customers still waiting for refunds?

20. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Good on you for only deducting the parts cost of the instrument on that. It looks like you are, in fact, doing a good thing with this, and I think that's awesome. I'm not sure about the other things happening with the customers and their builds, but I wanted to jump in and respond to your explanation. Nice to see the backstory there. :yesway:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.