The Official O.A.F. Autumn Build Thread + Contest Rules [RUN IS CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by JaeSwift, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JaeSwift

JaeSwift Of Blood and Sawdust

Hey Sevenstringers,

This thread is now the one stop shop for all info regarding the autumn ss.org headless build and mockup contest. Speaking of which, we are offering participants the chance to win some free stuff during this exciting build.

It’s easy to take part, just upload a mockup of the new “licensed by XEN” headless electric guitar and JaeSwift, Urklvt and Tom Drinkwater will choose the winners. The coolest looking guitar mockup will take home the grand prize, a free top upgrade on your upcoming headless guitar!! The 2 runner ups will receive an official O.A.F T-shirt in your size. Total prize value is $100, $50 for the top which is the price of most Oregon Wild Wood drop tops and $50 for labor costs. If you have already purchased a top we will subtract $100 from your final deposit.

IMPORTANT: Please upload your submission on this thread before August 15th

Mockups will be judged on the following criteria:
    -How feasible is it (i.e no petrified wood tops or something crazy like that)
    -The specs on your mockup have to match those available to this run
    -How cool and original is the design
    -How, qualitatively speaking, good is the image (i.e no jagged edges and such)

General rules:
    -Mock ups must contain your SS.org username and ''Oakland Axe Factory'' in the picture
    -Oakland Axe Factory reserves the right to use your mock up for promotional purposes
    -You are allowed to have the mock up done by a friend but the design HAS to be yours
    -Use the uploaded .PSD files in the links we will give you. If you want to use another program to make a picture of your mock up you are free to do so (i.e CAD or something) but stick to the other rules.
    -No more than 20 mock ups per designer.

.PSD file link:

Mirror 1: http://abanquetofconsequences.com/oaf.html (Thanks sage!)
    Mirror 2: (please find the proper ''download'' button as this is a third party site)Download OAF_BFR Mockup.psd from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] Run info:

Deposits are a flat $800 on all guitars. I need all deposits to be in by August 15th. If you are interested in getting in on this run but can’t get a deposit in by the cutoff contact me via PM or email.

Guitar Info (note: these are the base specs; many wood substitutes are available, check the attached .PDF)

$1675 base price 7 and $1700 base price 8 string

Exclusive “licensed by XEN” single cutaway body shape

Standard angled Lace Aluma X or Deathbar pickups or optional angled Bare Knuckle Pickups

ABM headless hardware

25.5”-27” multiscale fretboard with 16”-20”

compound radius milled by master luthier Victor Baker

Standard Luminlay side dots in either green or blue

Standard Dunlop flush mount strap locks

Standard push/pull volume and tone pots for coil splitting operation

Standard satin natural finish

Optional IPNP neck profile licensed by Rick Toone

Swamp Ash body

Curly Maple Neck

Curly Maple Fretboard

Many wood substitutes available, see attached .PDF

One really fun option in this run is to select and purchase your own top from www.oregonwildwood.com and have it shipped directly to me. This gives you the opportunity to select the actual unique piece of wood that will cap your guitar! My standard flame top upgrade price is $100. That budget is based on $50 for a top and $50 in additional labor. In many cases the amazing tops at www.oregonwildwood.com are in the $50 to $60 range so the price difference is minimal. Other than the wonderfully unique tops from www.oregonwildwood.com I can supply the rest of the wood from my usual vendors.

Some of the wood vendors that we are using for this run are-

www.oregonwildwood.com
    www.gilmerwood.com
    www.northridgehardwoods.com
    www.rarewoodsusa.com
    www.ancientwood.com
    www.exoticwoods.com
    www.exotic-woods.com
    www.byoguitar.com

The critical minimum dimensions of the body blank, top, neck blank and fretboard blank are-

Body blank-1.75x13x19
    Top- 13x19 overall or each panel at 6.5x19, thickness can range from .2 up to .5
    Neck blank- .75x3x24
    Fretboard blank- .25x3x21
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    FAQ

Q- Who is involved in this run other than Oakland Axe Factory?
    A- XEN Stringed Instruments is supplying the design, hardware and gigbags. Victor Baker is milling the fretboards. Joe Balaguer of Acacia Custom Guitars is supplying the Bare Knuckle Pickups. Optional custom finishes are supplied by David Smith of David’s Custom Woodwork. Jonathan Davies (aka JaeSwift) is supplying administrative and marketing support and CNC machining is being performed by Mahoosic Woodworks.

Q- Does this guitar have a warranty?
    A- This guitar features a non transferable 5 year warranty. This warranty covers craftsmanship and parts created by Oakland Axe Factory. Hardware and electronics feature their own warranty under their own manufacturer.

Q- What can I have customized on this guitar?
    A- Whatever is listed on the options list.

Q- What is the deal with the BKP’s?
    A- We are offering Bare Knuckle Pickups as an upgrade. They will be angled 10degrees. Most models will be available other than 8 string Blackhawks. Most models will be subject to a $125 upcharge.

Q- What colors are available for the guitars?
    A- Most primary colors are available. White and colors with white in it as well as any burst finishes are only available with the sprayed lacquer upgrade. I am limiting the number of lacquer upgrades to 5 for this run. Hand applied dyes are available with up to 2 colors.

Q- When can I expect delivery of the guitar?
    A- We estimate the completion time to be some point in January. We’ll keep everyone posted during the process and give updates to the time line.

Q- Do I supply my own wood ?
    A- We've offered the option of purchasing your own wood but I really only need for you to select and purchase your own top if you get it through a site where you can select the actual piece of wood. Other than that I can get it. If you don’t have the capability to purchase from sites like www.oregonwildwood.com let me know.

Q- Does the guitar come with a hardcase or gigbag?
    A- A gigbag is available for an additional $40.

Q- What method of shipping do you use?
    A- I use the United States Postal Service for all shipments.

Q- Are piezo electronics available on this guitar?
    A- Piezo electronics are not available on this guitar during this run however they will be available in 2013 on this guitar when purchased through XEN Stringed Instruments.

Q- Are burl tops available?
    A- Yes but in limited numbers and with additional costs above that of a standard top. Burl tops are quoted separately.

Q- How do I pay the deposit?
    A- Send $800 via PayPal to oafstore@yahoo.com.

Attached Files:

ForThisGift likes this.
  2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

If we already did/had a mock up made can we submit that?

One entry per person only?

3. JaeSwift

As many entries as you want, you can use mock ups you've made before as long as you post them in this thread and they adhere to the rules above.

4. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

I like this contest. Reserving this space to dump pics.

Question: I made lots of mockups according to other people's specs, are those mine because I made them, or theirs because they spec'd them?

Edit: Here's my first submission. It's a mockup of my specs; flame top, ash body, kingwood neck and fb.

Edit 2: Second sub is the base ash and curly maple combo. Wine red dye with black grain filler. Offset dots.

E3: Third one is a walnut body with a figured maple top from Oregon Wild Wood. Fretboard is bubinga.

Attached Files:

5. JaeSwift

They designed them, so per the contest rules those mock ups are theirs. They can however not be used here without editing because they won't have their SS.org username nor ''Oakland Axe Factory'' in the picture itself.

Also, just to be clear, it's pretty much my job to dig through this thread for all the pictures so don't worry if yours lands on the 30th page or so; I'll make sure to keep tabs on everything.

EDIT #2: I've updated the rules slightly; no more than 20 mock ups per designer allowed. We don't want a flood :lol:

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Someone do a guitar with DJENT inlayed mtm style

7. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

Shirts and pizza and free stuff default for all past OAF customers too?

You guys are the best :lol:

8. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Jae, will OAF shirts be available separately for those of us who want to show our support?

9. JaeSwift

:yesway:Cool question. Let me take this up with Tom

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I get paid tomorrow so depending on how well that is, deposit will be tomorrow or the week after :yesway:

11. JaeSwift

Awesome:yesway:I love seeing these axes go all over the globe.

12. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

For anyone having a hard time figuring out which "download" button on that link is the one that's NOT going to install some freaky video software on your machine, feel free to download my original Photoshop file from my website, ad free. I've got bandwidth aplenty. Let the games begin.

http://abanquetofconsequences.com/oaf.html

13. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Flame maple top, dyed green with cocobolo fretboard.

Attached Files:

14. MastrXploder

MastrXploder SS.org Regular

Electric wizard helped create this. Thanks again!
    Swamp ash body
    Indian Rosewood neck and fretboard
    Quilted maple top

[​IMG]

15. Cremated

Cremated SS.org Regular

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I don't know how I missed the paypal part in your post. I just sent my payment. Thank god I'm getting 6 checks this month! Hooray for profit sharing! I've now edited this post like 6 times!

16. JaeSwift

Thanks so much sage! I didn't want to use this because I was afraid it would take up all of your bandwith. I'll edit it in to the main post.

Much kudos to you for letting us use it in the first place, since the one I posted is pretty much yours too:yesway:

Nice mock ups thus far guys! I'm already impressed with the quality.

17. Cremated

Cremated SS.org Regular

What are you guys using to actually make the mockup?

18. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

Dang! Those look good. I like how you have staged them using something other than just a blank canvas. I won't lie, I am stealing that in some fashion.

19. JaeSwift

Up until now everything has been Photoshopped or Gimp (free version of Photoshop, sorta)

20. jbard

jbard \m/

Just to be sure, it's the same 25.5-27" scale for 7s and 8s?