The Official MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by mattofvengeance, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I'm glad they've stripped his title. They can't have him getting the benefits of being champ without the responsibility.

2. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Rumble to win then a rematch with Gus, that's where my money is going

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Exactly.

The fact that he didn't stay with the injured lady until medical help arrived really says a lot to his character, or lack there-of in this case. That's just downright low of him.

4. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Carlos Condit is getting back in the Octagon soon. Excited! I miss seeing him competing!

Also, (BJJ but I figure this is the best place for it) Metamoris 6 is this Saturday, as is a free stream of Copa Podio. Lots of BJJ to enjoy. Gon' be guuuud.

EDIT:
    Just noticed the BJJ thread. Derp.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Man, Condit was great tonight!!! I think the time off actually helped him.
    I've been a little critical in the past that he moved just a bit more than he should, especially in the Diaz fight although he won by decision.
    He was very attackful this fight and it sure paid off, but then again Alves really couldn't match him in the range-game which is CC's ticket with most matchups.

6. ShredandBalls

ShredandBalls SS.org Regular

Who you got fellas, Money or McG?

7. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I hope Money. I hate McGregor. I love that Aldo has said that he and his fans will support Mendes.

8. ShredandBalls

I'm rooting for Conor, I've been following his career for a long time now but Mendes will be a stylistic nightmare for him, a tougher fight than Aldo IMO. I'm glad that I'll get to see two of my favorite fighters put on a great show.

I hope the winner gets to beat Aldo.

9. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I'm picking McG if it was for a cash bet, but I'm really for Frankie :lol:, so it really don't matter to me who wins this week.
    I do enjoy seeing big plans get spoiled, so a Mendes win would really rain on the parade so to speak.

Honestly though, I think Frankie loses to either of these guys or even Aldo again if he gets the shot. His last fight vs the Kid wasn't what I thought it would be at all. He'd looked so good in the previous couple that I expected more. Maybe it was just awkward for him fighting a guy his own size and quickness. (which is why I'm about certain he won't beat Chad)

I really hated seeing Machida get trounced again.
    A couple fights I'd like to see for him as his career hits the backstretch are;

Machida vs Shogun (the rubber match) at 205
    Yeah I know he lost them both (IMO), but since it is officially tied at one each, and Shogun has probably taken a bigger step backwards, it seems like a good chance for both guys to prove who's the better fighter.

Machida vs Evans rematch at 205
    IMO a healthy Evans would now have the advantage, but a healthy Evans is very hard to find these days. Surely though Rashad would be up for a chance at redeeming himself from that highlight knockout/collapse:lol:.

At 185 maybe Tim Kennedy would be a good matchup. Not too big, not crazy fast or athletic (relatively speaking of course, they're all good athletes obviously).

10. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

11. ShredandBalls

Frankie against Mendes could make sense should Money lose, to determine who's the best gatekeeper of the top 5 of the division. As far as Machida, a farewell match with either Shogun or Evans would be good, even though Rashad would make quick work of him right now. He needs to call it quits and hang the gloves soon, it's painful to see legends get beaten up just because their body isn't the same anymore. The Romero fight felt as bad as BJ Penn against Rory MacDonald or Frankie Edgar, so a nostalgia rematch at 205 would be ideal for Lyoto.

I'm not sure what to think about the Travis Browne situation but given how much heat the UFC has taken recently due to Jon Jones and all the athletes testing positive for banned substances, it's natural that they will take actions against any employee whose behavior may tarnish the company's reputation. They did the same to Rumble a few months ago.

12. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Thread bump for a good Rogan podcast from a couple years back with Rory.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

It's official; Rousey vs Holm on Jan. 2nd.

Terribly uneven matchup IMO, even more-so than her last fight.
    Holm really didn't even beat Raquel Pennington a few months back, and her last fight looked very little more impressive.
    It's starting to look like the UFC brass wants about 0% chance of anything derailing their money-train, at least for now.
    Can't wait for Juliana Pena vs Eye on October 3rd. I wish they'd also throw Tate vs Zingano rematch on that same card, and then whoever of the 4 looked most impressive would get the fight in Jan. vs Rousey. Makes soooo much more sense than feeding Holm to the lioness just yet. (at least from a fans perspective)

14. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Mark my words. New superstar MMA love-couple coming soon. Paige and Sage.

They'll be doing all the Reebok promo stuff together soon, probably big-budget commercials and all that jazz, and how could they not hook up? just look at them for fg sake!!! :lol:,both so young, so bubbly, so warm, so smiley.

It's a done deal:agreed:. (they should do it even it it's a fake put-on:lol:, there's big money there 4sure)

15. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

^^^Well what do ya know; Already they're booked literally right next to each other for the UFC Fight Night 80 Dec. 10 card on Fight Pass. Sure smelled that one coming.:lol:

16. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Askren vs Santos rematch at the upcoming One FC event. I'm really excited for that! Hopefully no eyepokes this time. Angela Lee is on the same card, as well. Strawweight men's title bout with Dejdamrong sor Amnuaysirichoke will no doubt need to be watched in slow motion! Jimmy Yabo vs Amir Khan will be action packed. I love watching proper Muay Thai fighters! So many Evolve fighters, so many of them are so good. Shame Ben Askren is such a knob.
    Should be a great card, as One FC events always are!

17. ShredandBalls

Fellas, what are your thoughts about the Japan New Year Eve event?! I'm both stoked and disappointed haha.

18. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Don't know anything about it. What's the deal?

19. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

WORD

20. Ebart

Ebart SS.org Regular

Seriously though, who here feels bad for Miesha? I like Ronda, don't get me wrong...and maybe a 3rd match when Miesha lost the 1st 2 isn't the best idea...but honestly, no one has every challenged Ronda more than Miesha...and you know that fight would sell. Thoughts?