The Nu-Metal Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Daemoniac, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Ah Nu-Metal, a genre of music that cops a lot of hate, and a lot of love from some. Despite the fact that it is generally really simple, its still one of my favorite genres :fawk:

Most of them have rad energy coming from the bands, even if you dont like it, they had a huge groove to it. I'll be the first to admit that there are some truly atrocious bands (Reveille anyone?), but the good ones imo more than make up for that :D

Now, ON WITH TEH VIDEOS!!!

There we go :) Thats all i can be bothered finding for now. What are some of YOUR favorite numetal songs?

2. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I wouldn't really class Slipknot as a Nu-metal band, the first album was the most Nu-metalish, but at the same time it was very different to the likes of typical Nu metal like Korn and Limp Bizkit. By the 3rd album (which the Blister Exists is on) they were well away from nu metal.

3. Daemoniac

^ I disagree, especially when you consider that stuff like American Head CHarge, Drowning Pool and Nothingface are all numetal too :shrug: I think theres a big difference between "rap-metal" (a la Reveille, Limp Bizkit, and (hed)P.E) and "Numetal"... Rap metal is always numetal, whereas numetal isnt always rap.

Either way, id like to keep this free of genre arguments :)

4. Wi77iam

Wi77iam Ibanez fanboi

:wavey: NU METAL FTW !!

5. Daemoniac

:) Theres def some crap music, and its not to everyones taste, but god damn there are some awesome bands.. I love the aggression, but only when it doesnt come coupled with the bs macho posturing (Limp Bizkit excluded ;))

6. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

I dont know much about nu-metal.
    But I do love deftones:

7. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I love korn and American Head Charge, the rest i couldnt really get into :shrug:

8. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Deftones were always my favorite from the bunch.
    Linkin Park's debut rocks too.

9. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I still listen to:

Korn
    Slipknot
    American Head Charge
    Taproot
    Otep
    Deftones
    Linkin Park
    Evanescence
    Limp Bizkit
    SpineShank

and I ain't ashamed! good thread :yesway:

10. Daemoniac

There were a shitload of bands i wanted to add videos for, but i feel like shit (flu) and aside from not being bothered, i went blank on half the band/song names as well :lol:

I love em though :)

11. Luuk

Luuk SS.org Regular

Well I won't say I don't like nu-metal.. But my style has changed in the years. No the biggest fan of Korn anymore.. I like to hear a song of them once a while.

Still listening a lot to Slipknot, but won't say that's nu-metal!

12. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

My only problem with the genre is that it seems like the term is nothing more than a way for some people to lump together a bunch of bands that don't sound anything alike to make it easier to shit talk them. Which is exactly why you will never hear anyone call Tool, for example, nu metal, even though they fit the general idea of the genre perfectly. It's not cool to hate Tool, so we can't call them nu metal, because it's cool to hate nu metal(note: I love Tool). Another example, Durst may have run out of lyrical ideas after 3 dollar bill(sad part is, the rest of the band was still great on all their albums), but you have to be devoid of a soul to not be able to appreciate that album as having some great shit just because it's not cool to admit that you like some LB songs.

There's plenty of bands that fall under the heading that I love. I like music for the enjoyment of it, not so that I can make a rep.

13. Daemoniac

^ I tend to ignore the whole "nu-metal" genre as a general rule, i lump every band in it under either "Alternative Metal" or "Rap Metal" depending on what they are :)

But, i figured it would be easier as a thread title, cos most people think of the same thing when you say Numetal :yesway:

14. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

+1.

15. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I have a soft spot in my heart for Numetal. It is, afterall, what got me into metal and playing guitar. It all started with Fallon Bowman of this band:

And the Black Metal Rapist was born. Baritone ESP Viper tuned to drop C through a Triple Recto..and I've spent the rest of my life trying to create a guitar tone to rival that.

Then there were banks like

Then I was really hooked. I listened to Slipknot too, and the funny thing is their first cd is the ONLY cd of theirs I had and will own. They were clearly Numetal and like all the bands in that category, after it fell out of style they tried to find an identity outside of that (often going the more melodic route like most of the others) and like many of the bands in that category they aren't very good at all anymore. Funny how that works. Out of that group Otep is the only band I listen too. I tried to continue loving Kittie..but I just can't anymore. Oracle and Spit were their best CDs

16. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

17. I_infect

I_infect SS.org Regular

I may get hell for this, but I think nu-metal from the late 90s is what kept 7 string guitars alive... and of course I'm gonna appreciate it. When you think about it, before Korn et al, who was visibly playing 7's, and making money for Ibanez etc? I think Vai and shredders could have only kept the market going for so long. When I heard Vai playing a 7, i thought "no way I can play like that, I'll stick to 6's." I heard Korn and said, "jeez even I can do that! maybe I will try a 7..." I see the same thing happening now Meshuggah and 8's... people bitch about suicide silence playing 8's but if they aren't visible, there will be no market, and will be short lived.

I was more a fan of Tool, Sevendust, Mudvayne, Coal Chamber, LIfe of Agony, and Flaw, rather than Korn, and still listen to those listed. Alot of good bands came out of that time and influenced alot of people.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  18. Daemoniac

:wavey:

19. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

First, I know this isn't what I should be focused on... I should be all, "great musician... blah blah" but....

Fallon is so friggin' yummy.

Now that that's been said, the fact that it's the top vid in this thread got me to thinking...

I've never liked Freak on a Leash. Korn is one of the bands most responsible for getting me into music (White Zombie being the other main one) but I just don't think it's a very good song. Now, thinking about it, I'd actually point to that song becoming popular as the beginning of the end for any possibility Korn had of sticking to their "original sound" instead of going in the dark/melodic direction they took(the 2nd big moment in that evolution came after Davis did the QOTD soundtrack, sobered up and decided he was in charge). I'd also point to FOAL as the tipping point for the "cool factor" of "nu metal" as perceived by your average metal fan.

For me, it wasn't a matter of being able to play Korn's stuff(as I wasn't playing guitar at the time) I Just love the way they sound(especially on their first 3 albums). I think many times metal fans tend to lose sight of the fact that music is not math. It's not a matter of how fast you can play or how many scales you know or how many songs you can cram a solo into. At the end of the day it should come down to the songs you write. I'm not saying that all nu metal songs were great. But I think people lose sight of the good songs because, as fans of the genre, we get too caught up in the skill instead of listening to the music.

20. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

aye, this :yesway: