The most racist attack I've seen in politics all year (not Presidential campaign)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    This is just bizarre.

So, there's one candidate in a debate who is a disabled war veteran, a Daughter of the American Revolution (meaning that she is descended from someone who fought in the American Revolutionary War), and who has a long history in her family of the members serving in the American military. That candidate was shot down while piloting a Black Hawk helicopter during the 2004 Iraq War, and lost both legs in the attack.

[​IMG]

There's another candidate who has been caught making at least 9 false claims to inflate his military record, including claims he had been awarded Naval Intelligence Officer of the Year (he hadn't), that he had been in combat in Kosovo (he wasn"t), that he served in Operation Iraqi Freedom (he didn't) and Operation Desert Storm (he didn't) during which he commanded the war room (he didn't), that he was deployed to Afghanistan (he wasn't) and that he had taken fire over Iraq (he didn't).

Mark Kirk's disproven military embellishments

And then, in a debate... this happened.

Because the disabled war veteran's father, himself a war veteran from WWII, had married a foreign woman, Kirk was happy to make a racist insult about a vet who knew more about combat firsthand than he did.

This is probably the most openly racist thing I've witnessed in politics this year, and a huge indication of an entitlement mindset arising from white male privilege.

The Republicans just seem prone to certain blind spots regarding how offensive these attitudes are to not just minorities, but also anyone who is woke in general.

Fortunately, those such as Kirk know that minorities are treated well in this country, and have no concerns about what happens when the majority and minorities flip... which makes their rhetoric and freely spoken fears on that issue so surprising. It's like they're maintaining two completely different and mutually incompatible narratives.

Anyway, this was so blatant that I felt it worth posting.

Anyone else think this is unacceptable?

Or, does anyone think Kirk was absolutely right in his attack?

coffeeflush and Sang-Drax like this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Why is it "white male privilege" and not just plain old racism? In the video he just said "I forgot that your parents came all the way from Thailand to fight for George Washington", which is just kinda stupid. Is there some other thing he said about the fact that she's a woman, or...?

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

When you get right down to it, they're two sides of the same coin. I'd say that racism is what makes him thinks what he does, while white male privilege is what makes him say what he thinks (in this case, although it's not universally so) under the impression that such remarks constitutes acceptable rhetoric.

4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    It's my opinion that someone has to be in a position where one never gets challenged to bask in that kind of position. There are those who hold similar positions who get called out constantly, and who are accustomed to arguing against documented facts (Ann Coulter, for example), but Kirk really didn't think he was doing anything other than smacking Duckworth down in an effective way.

In US cultures where these kinds of attitudes are still strong, the females are only given authority to act in these ways if a man went there first. For example, the current religious right and political right have members who have argued in the past month that someone can't really be in charge because that person is female. It's normally only because of inheriting a position that a female might be at the head of groups like, say, the WBC.

The current comment makes it very difficult, incidentally, for Kirk to claim that his withdrawal of his endorsement of Trump to have been on the basis of anything beyond political calculation. Kirk withdrew his endorsement upon Trump's statements about the heritage of Judge Gonzalo Curiel, but it's difficult to square any of his claimed principled stand against Trump's comments with Kirk's current comment without factoring in the possibility that it was wrong (in his logic) to call out a dude regarding his family, but okay to slap at a woman for the same thing.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Wasn't this guy considered a moderate as well?

People are desperate for that Trump-esque popularity. :lol:

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Since he's so gung-ho about being in the military, maybe stick in ass in boot camp for a couple weeks and let him sweat off some of that racism in a damn hurry.He can only dream of her actual accomplishments, so naturally he resorts to the tried and true assholery that we call "racism". He was so outclassed and outgunned that his best rebuttal would've been to just say nothing at all.

As a side note, her calls for prudence instead of just rushing blindly into battle made me even more proud of her. Never be too scared to fight, but make sure the fight is even needed in the first place. :yesway:

7. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Really "white male privilege"? That seems a pretty racist label in itself. I'm a white male and have had just as much privilege as anyone else.

But yes as someone who has been to war, I can say that guy is a douche. Is it because he's a white male? I don't know. Maybe it's because he's a privileged rich guy? That's where the real discrimination lies. All these wealthy elites have the peasants fighting each other while they steal everything we have. RISE PROLETARIAT!!!

8. MistaSnowman

MistaSnowman Play It LOUD!!!

Kirk got his come-uppance when lost to Duckworth this past Tuesday night!!!

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Eh, we got it pretty good. I've got a friend who is CFO with a net worth north of $30 million. He's British, and also black. He came here to take the job, and said he cannot believe the difference in the way he is treated, based on sight, by people who do not know him. Especially the police. As a white male I make more money than females, and have skated away with stuff my black friends have not. You're right, we cannot generalize, but there is something to be said for he term.

10. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I am applying for a nomination for the USAFA from both of these people as a resident of Illinois. Tammy Duckworth is such a fighter.

11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, was just on FB after reading this thread and came across this...

Man, maybe this resonates with someone here but this sounds bat.... crazy to me.

At any rate, yea, similarly as bat.... as that comment in the OP post. I mean, unacceptable to anyone, but to say it to her of all people... A lot of boundaries crossed on every level of politics in this election.

12. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Same. I'm getting a little tired of watching it thrown around like I'm supposed to be ashamed of being born, or supposed to give a hand up to people that aren't white because they don't have my 'privilege'. Please. Everything I have, I earned. No one gave it to me because I happen to be white.

'Some critics say that the term uses the concept of "whiteness" as a proxy for class or other social privilege or as a distraction from deeper underlying problems of inequality.'

Ya think?! How about focusing on your own problems instead of blaming someone else's skin color for your perceived lack?

The term completely discounts anything I've ever done to better my life...like it would have happened anyway because I'm white. :rolleyes:

I wish I would have known this crap....I never would have bothered to study, or meet deadlines, or be a good husband or father cause it doesn't matter cause I'm white.

Yeah, people are bat.... crazy.

13. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I was playing along at home until the words "white male privilege".... Being an arsehole is not limited to white males.

Sorry on behalf of all white males for being born white and male, we should all be ashamed of having a ...... Does that make you feel better?

14. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Man, y'all are a sensitive bunch :lol: mention white privilege and you go all tumblr rant mode.

White privilege may not be as extreme as tumblr makes you think but I think in certain countries, it's a thing. It's just not as big a thing as it is on the Internet. It's being less likely to be pulled over by the cops. It's how you're more likely to be considered for a job interview if you have a 'normal' western name (though obviously not bound to colour, but still), it's stuff like that. I think Konfyouzd (where is he, anyway?) touched upon it in a topic a while ago. Read what Holloway said.

15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Nobody is saying there's no such thing as privilege that comes from being a white dude, they're saying that being a white dude and having privilege, whether you recognize it or not, doesn't make you racist. The two are entirely unrelated to eachother.

This kind of language being used paints white people as racist by default, even if that's not the intention, which IMO is damaging to race relations as a whole.

16. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

No no, it's ok, you can stop, we apologised, you win, you can stop femsplaining to us about how undeserving we all are. What do you want us to do now? I'm handing over everything I have worked my arse off for, and destroyed my body in the process, over to you! Because I don't deserve it as I am constantly reminded around every corner that I am a horrible cis privileged white male... I reckon the leftards and feminist tumblords should be responsible for rounding up all hard working males and hanging us all...

17. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Nowhere did I say that. People in this thread, however, have denied there being privilege. I point you to the post above me by Vrollin.

Vrollin, I'd love to femsplain but I can't, I'm a dude. I also don't see how you having worked hard your whole life means you are less likely to be racially profiled or invited to job interviews based on your name/heritage. For all the accusations of tumblr behaviour (hey, I'll admit to having one! It's a great source for art and music and I've never even bumped into a feminist on there.), you sure seem to love playing the victim yourself.

I know what it's like to work hard. I'm a blue collar guy from a blue collar family. My grandpa was a farmer who got up every day at 4 to care for his cows. My other grandfather served in the military and then went on to work in the steel factories. I went on to become a woodworker. That doesn't mean I don't see how, despite all my hard work, there are people going through stuff I will never go through. Why is this such a hard thing for you to accept? There's nothing to feel guilty or bad for, if anything, I'm happy I havent had to go through that crap as well.

18. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

We are all in control of our own destiny. Every one has the same access to job opportunities. Just because some hood rat claiming benefits tried to tell you otherwise is not an excuse...

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Yes, the perceived ethnicity does effect application call back.

I don't think anyone would argue that being white is not, on average, an advantage in the US. However, block quotes like the one I posted above (written by a white woman btw) overstate and try to make salient a racial divide that I think is in general unnatural and unhealthy. Most of these "suggestions" are things you should apply to anyone of any color, and needn't be a racial issue.

What I find funny is that white privilege comes up a lot in the tumblr circle whatnot, but privilege exists on all levels. With respect to the job call backs you posted, it's been shown that people with more attractive faces earn more money and are more likely to move faster up the corporate ladder. Should we start a handsome privilege? A list of “how to talk to your ugly friends”? “If you’re at a bar, don’t approach an attractive woman. Introduce her to your uf, mention one of their stronger characteristics, and leave the conversation to avoid further exerting your privilege." Does it make the world better to assign names and behavior guides to these biases?

Personally, and like Vrollin’s posts, I think it has a negative effect of “explaining away” reality. Some racist asshole is up there being a racist asshole and we have to say he has white privilige? He can’t just be racist in an election where acting racist has seemingly generated a lot of voting interest, he must be expressing some negative quality he was born with? Because when you say that, you actually make him less of an asshole.

On the flip side, some white person works hard to succeed and now has their successes qualified by “white privilege”? There’s lots of white people living in poverty that had just as little vertical class mobility as inner city blacks, so everyone’s starting from different places, and has their own obstacles to face.

The best summary of white privilege I've ever come across was this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf9QBnPK6Yg