The most Les Paul-ish 7 string guitar?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by caspian, Apr 22, 2016.

1. caspian

caspian wanderer

Hey bros,
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Thinking of getting another 7 string- trading in my les paul standard.. GASing pretty hard at the mo. I just love the extra tones and textures that a 7 stringer brings.

Now, the problem is that I'm not much of a djent-er at all really. I play a lot of old school metal (thrash/death/doom) but also a lot of post-rock, a lot of shoegaze, a lot of super mellow stuff in general. That's what I love about the LP- it does heavy really well, the bridge pickup is a beast, but it also has that really thick, borderline muddy clean tone you get through the neck pickup, which personally I find quite divine. Just the usual stock pickups btw.

I'm guessing a PRS 7-er would be a good approximation, but I've never really liked them- beautiful looking but there's a vague "accountant rock" vibe to them. So yeah, what would be a good LP approximation? Budget wise, something that could be traded for a Les Paul Standard '08 with a big ding in it :)

2. HiveHeart

HiveHeart SS.org Regular

A used esp eclipse 7 string fits the bill IMO. Can always swap the pups too.

3. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

4. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I don't know how much an LP Standard would fetch you but the first thing that comes to mind is the new LTD ZH-7B. Gorgeous guitars.

5. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

I have a lp classic with a 500T in it (great for high gain, i believe Amon Amarth use the same pickup),
    But recently gibson came out with a 7 string version;

[​IMG]

If its anything like the 6 string version it'll be a high-gain monster out the box.

6. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Depends how picky you are about scale length. If it's gotta be the Gibson-approved 24.75, then the Heafy 7 or one of the early-to-mid-2000 Epi LP 7s is probably your best bet. If you're willing to go up to 25.5, then the LTD ECs become a good option.

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I would say this is the correct answer. We can continue discussing guitars, but they will all be less "Les Paulish" than a Gibson 7 string Les Paul. :coffee:

8. exo

exo SS.org Regular

+1!

Gibson and Epiphone, the two nameplates authorized to produce authentic Les Paul models both have 7 string versions as mentioned by others. You can also find Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 strings that were produced for a few years in the early 2000's. I have one, and it is BEASTLY, both in tone and weight :lol:

If OPis really interested in an ACTUAL LP7, then he thread is effectively over :)

9. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

I have a Heafy, if you want the most affordable still feels like a les paul and has 7 strings then thats the best option, or one of the early 00's Epi models. The heafy is a beast.

My thing with the EC's is that they are LP's on a diet and it didn't feel right to me.

10. caspian

caspian wanderer

I just find unlikely that I'd find a 7 string LP in oz. I m hoping for a straight swap idea - I just spent $1700 on a guitar and I doubt the wife would be willing to loosen the purse strings for a long long time.

The epiphone idea seems silly too - just seems strange trading down a brand if you know what I mean. Plus Heafy is super false. Itd be like buying a Chad Kroger signature! Gotta admit I do like the idea of a horribly heavy old epiphone though. My first les Paul weighed a ridiculous amount, it was awesome...

The eclipse - now that's a good idea. Been really keen on them for years.. not sure why I didn't think of it myself.

11. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Okay, so I'm going to assume that I'm teaching a grandmother to suck eggs here and that you know this anyway, but in case anyone else who doesn't know this comes along.

Buy a guitar because YOU like it, not because of whats on the headstock, spec or whoever plays it. I can't stress this enough. I sold a Banshee 7 Passive to get my Heafy because I dam well fell in love with it and couldn't stop playing it, which I assume is what basically everyone is looking for in a guitar if you're a regular working musician and don't have buckets of cash.

It was an afterthought that and Indo made Epi could be considered a step down from a Korean made world music factory Schecter. But I play that Heafy 5x more than my Banshee so job done :shrug:

Lee Anderton has started saying this a lot in the Andertons vid's that 'don't buy a guitar because of specs' I've bought a whole bunch of guitars based on spec I thought I would like and was so meh when I got hold of them, then there were other guitars like an Eastwood Mosrite copy my mate had that I was like 'I dunno its basswood and cheap' then played it and ultimately used it for recording an EP loving the tone it had.

Dude you're buying a guitar, not Matt Heafy. I can probably name you like two Trivium songs and I'm not even sure if they are Trivium of BFMV because I can't tell the difference sometimes :lol:

As far as sigs go it is one of the MOST understated sigs in the universe. The only give away its Heafy's sig is the MKH on the truss rod cover and a small name printed on the back of the headstock. Plus it weighs in at a satisfying mass comparable to a Les Paul Standard, its not light at all.

Anyway whatever, its your money so you can totally be as picky as you want but one thing I know is in Oceania getting hold of a Heafy will be easier than some other options on this thread, its the most Les Paul like because it is one and you're more likely to walk into a store in Aus and find one to play first. Ether way thats like twice my :2c: so maybe that should be: :2c: + :2c:

Good luck :D

12. caspian

caspian wanderer

Yeah man you do have a good point with "ignore what's on the headstock", I do tend to fall into that trap fairly often. The one epiphone I have (banged up Pewter Explorer, my first proper guitar!) is a pretty fun deal that I still play often whenever I want to sloppily play along to old Metallica.

In fact you have a lot of good points. Next time I'm in Perth with a bit of time to spare I'll have to give a heafy a shot and see what happens- not sure about EMGs (good clean tone is really important for me) but as people have said, I can change always pickups.. and scrape his name off the headstock :cool:

13. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Give it a shot, and if you hate it at least you can say you gave it a proper go.

I agree I'm not a fan of EMG's too (even though my idea of clean is slightly less gain rather than Jazz clean) but yeah swap them out, and ditch the truss rod cover for one of Realtone's for like nine bucks if it bothers you. Also I just checked mine and there is only a sticker that says 'Made in Indo' and the serial number on the back.

So really there is very little to link that guitar to Heafy other than promo shots.

Either way I hope you find something you like man.

14. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

As a self confessed Gibson super fan boy, or is that fanboi, I'll confess to and admit that out of all the non acoustic seven strings that I have, my Gibson Les Paul Classic seven string, with the stupid three-way switch for coil splitting and turbo Boost removed and replaced with a second tone control, and the pickups changed to my so called super hot custom Bare Knuckle Pickups - I don't think they are hot in my opinion, are the seven string electrics that I play the most. One thing I will say and come clean about is that I much prefer the weight of my Epiphone Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom seven string, it weighs perhaps 20% more than my Gibson Les Paul Classic seven strings, but I'm not a fan of active pickups, and I especially hate EMG pickups, forgetting my extreme dislike for the active EMG pickups and EMG pickups in general, the Epiphone Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom seven string is an extremely well thought out, designed, very well put together and very very good quality guitar, the only thing that I don't like about them besides the pickups is the fact that it is a limited run/limited edition guitar.

For me in order for it to be a Les Paul, it has to have Gibson on it's headstock, call me a snob or cork sniffer all you want, if it doesn't say Gibson on it's headstock, it's a Les Paul copy in my books, that is not to say that it is a bad guitar, or that there is anything wrong with it, it's just not a real Les Paul in my books. So with that in mind, the most Les Paul seven string guitar that there is, is the Gibson Les Paul Classic seven string, everything else is just a Les Paul copy.

And since I've become more adventurous with my tuning of seven strings, I have a few Gibson Les Paul Classic seven string guitars tuned as low as drop A and drop E, in other words the seventh string is tuned an octave lower than the fifth string, or an octave lower than the sixth string is normally tuned too, and I don't find the seventh string too loose of floppy in any sense or way at that scale length compared to my 25.5 scale length seven strings ,or my 27-25.5 multi scale lengths, in fact I actually prefer the scale length of the Gibson, but then my first electric guitar was a Gibson Les Paul, so their scale length just feels natural and second nature to me.

Incidentally the seven string that I play the most is the seven string acoustic Ibanez in my avatar, but them I've always played acoustics at home far more often than I do electrics, it save the hassle of plugging up amps and what not, plus it a great way to build up dexterity, finger strength and accuracy, not to mention your naked on an acoustic, you can't hide your mistakes behind the second guitarist, drummer, bass player or gain.

15. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

You're a snob and a cork sniffer :cool:

But its nice to know that the Heafy is a little heavier than the classic (still hope to pick one up some day), I actually find the weight comforting and I too prefer the scale of an LP and don't have issues with Drop A provided I bump the gauge.

:D

16. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

sn
    That's precisely one of the reason why I prefer a heavier guitar, they don't feel fragile or flimsy. So you can play them hard and really dig into them and not be afraid to do extreme bends because you might snap or break the guitar. The weight is reassuring.

It also stops my partner from messing around with my guitars because she finds them to be too heavy, though this is a double edged sword, and has come back to bite me quite a few times.

If it doesn't say Gibson on it's headstock, then I'm afraid it just simply is not good enough.

17. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Because she asks 'why do you need ANOTHER guitar when you only play one at a time?' or because she drops them?

I can't endorse your pretensions however (despite also being a LP and SG 'shaped' guitar fanboy. Is that politically correct enough?) for a number of key reasons:

1) Gibson's QC in recent years has been APPALLING and on those grounds alone, quite frankly Gibson just simply wasn't good enough.

2) Brand elitism is a HUGE problem in the guitarist community, and especially on this forum with the combined explosion of 'custom' and 'semi-custom' guitars having created artificial markets and in some ways unintentionally making people feel like second class citizens if their guitars are not from a particular brand or are not custom FF whatevers. Its the kind of social-elitisim that can be hugely discouraging to younger guitar players who frankly don't know better (because few people do in their late teens etc…) and end up coveting guitars more than building their chops, style and feel on the instrument.

I know instances of myself and others feeling self conscious because we were playing Indo made guitars or whatever and its retarded. We should be a community that encourages everyone to have a go regardless of their bank balance.

3) I love a well playing Gibson Les Paul but if I find a guitar thats half the price, the same shape and sounds as good as or better then that gets my money. Because the price gibbons go for they should sound ....ing amazing but if I find a Tokai or Edwards that sounds as good as then its a no brainer. Because at the end of the day whats on the headstock doesnt make up for a guitar that doesnt sound right to me.

Case in point above being OP honestly saying he's been sucked into that patter of thinking (as I'm sure many of us have, myself included at some point) of being like 'nah its got X or Y on the headstock'. I get having preferences, sure we all have them but I'm a working musician I don't have oodles of cash and I cannot afford nor want to be brandist, I want to be happy and have guitars I love to play.

18. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

I'll second D00M's thoughts on the Heafy - I neither know nor care anything about Trivium, but the Heafy 7 specs were right, so I bought one. I'd prefer a passive-sized pickup, as I find the soapbars awkward even after swapping them out for a Pegasus/Sentient set, but it's otherwise pretty well put together, and the bound ebony fretboard is a super nice touch.

19. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

She actually doesn't care about the number of guitars that I own or buy, especially since it's what I do for a living, she actually likes guitars, she even buys me guitars for my collection, she just complains about the weight of the ones that I like to play, these are the ones that are generally kept in easy to reach places and are easy to get to, and because she sometimes wants to try messing around with a guitar she just reaches for one of the ones that are easy to get to. She can't play guitar, I've offered to teach her, or get her lessons from somebody else, I've even bought her several guitars, but she has no interest in learning, she just occasionally wants to have a play about with one, hence the double edged sword, it means that when she decides to buy me a guitar there is a high chance it will be one that she like, and not one that I like, and she is a big fan of PRS guitars, and I'm not.

1, Gibsons QC has actually really improved over the last few years, the only thing that people where complaining about in 2015 was the specs of the 2015 range, not their quality, in fact everyone I know who bought a 2015 range Gibson remarked about how much the quality has improved. In 2014 people where raving about and saying Gibson set the bar very high quality wise with the quality of their historic reissues.

2, Brand new Gibson's can be had for less money than a lot of middle range Ibanez guitars that are not even made in Japan, the Iron Label series of Ibanez guitars cost more than a few models of Gibson's and that is a middle of the range set of guitars from Ibanez, for example last year you could pick up a brand new Gibson Les Paul Junior in any of the three colours for £284 on black Friday, and for just under £300.00 for the last quarter of 2015, I hardly think I'm being a brand snob or an elitist when I changed my avatar from a Gibson R0 headstock with my alien clip on tuner on it, to an Ibanez with my alien clip on tuner on it. In fact if you look at what I now consider to be Ibanez's best seven string guitar, the Ibanez RGIF7, you will see that you can buy quite a few different models of both Gibson and Made in America Fender's for not only less than what that so called 'middle of the range' Ibanez retails for, but quite a bit less. And I'm hardly being any more of an elitist when the O.P. mentions that he is considering the seven string PRS, again another middle, actually in PRS terms it's closer to the bottom of their line of guitars, that costs more than several models of Gibson's.

If you feel or felt inferior or insufficient simply because you weren't playing a guitar that was made in either Japan or America, or because it had the 'wrong name on the headstock' then I suggest you take it up with somebody who can help you overcome your self esteem issues, and stop blaming people who can afford to buy or save up to buy the guitars that you can't and wish you could. If not owning a certain brand of guitar makes you feel like a second class citizen there is something wrong with you, that level of quite frankly hostile jealously is seriously unhealthy.

If you actually put some effort into looking at what some of the pros from big name bands play you'll be surprised by the number of them who play reasonably priced and even cheap guitars, by that I mean guitars that retail for well under one thousand U.S. dollars.

There are always going to be people who can afford to buy better or more expensive things than you, it's not their fault that they can afford to do this, and they should not be made to feel guilty simply because they have more disposable income then you, that is an extremely childish and selfish attitude to take. I don't complain when I see people play and own real 59 Les Paul's, I actually feel happy for them. If you have such a problem with both guitar and brand elitism and find it to be a huge problem, maybe you should try and get the mods to ban people from listing all the gear that they own in their signatures, if that is not showing off I don't know what is.

From what I've seen of this forum Ibanez seems to be the brand of choice, what from what I've seen of custom guitars seems to be nothing but people complaining about the of their quality and of them not meeting expectations.

So I take it that when the custom guitars that I'm having made for me arrive in the next week or so, I shouldn't post a new guitar day thread just in case it hurts the feelings of somebody who can't afford to have a guitar built to their exact specifications?

3, The question the op asked was 'The most Les Paulish 7 string guitar, there is only one company that makes Les Paul's, and that is Gibson - Epiphone make them as well but Gibson own Epiphone so it's still a Gibson at the end of the day, The Gibson Classic Seven String is the only real answer, unless the OP asked for a seven string single cut or Les Paul clone, or copy, but he didn't. He basically asked for a seven string guitar that is as close to a Les Paul as possible.

Calling a person who is using a picture of a moderately even cheaply priced Ibanez acoustic guitar with a very very cheap clip on tuner on it as his avatar, elitist and pretentious is rather silly and aggressive, my avatar is not even the most expensive acoustic that Ibanez make, in fact it's not even close to the cost of their top ten expensive acoustic guitars.

20. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Is it really though?

I've been looking for a les paul lately for myself, as I've had some serious GAS for one for a while now (not easy for a lefty in the UK!), and I'm not even considering epiphones. Just my preference. Does that make my opinion wrong?

If someone else wants to play an epiphone, more power to them, I don't care. But I'm not interested in them.