The Martian

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Xaios, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Anyone else looking forward to this? I haven't read the book but my mother has and absolutely loves it. Early reviews are very positive, and by all accounts it looks to be Ridley Scott's best movie in a long, long time.

2. MoshJosh

MoshJosh SS.org Regular

Book was f*cking awesome, so excited and nervous for the movie.

3. ryanscott6

ryanscott6 SS.org Regular

Can't wait for this movie. The book was great, it really reminded me of day to day life in IT.

4. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I might go see it just to see the new X-men "Apocalypse" trailer.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What kind of a reason is that? Just watch it on the internet!

6. wankerness

What do you mean long, long time? Are you one of the people that thinks he hasn't done anything good since Blade Runner? That seems like a popular opinion these days. Gladiator is oft-considered a Driving Miss Daisy or Crash-style Oscar mistake, and Kingdom of Heaven seems to be mostly disregarded thanks to Orlando Bloom, even in the vastly superior director's cut. I don't really know anything about American Gangster, and Black Hawk Down seems to be the kind of movie mainly respected by the kind of people who think Shawshank Redemption is by far the greatest film ever made.

If it's really a return to the 80s form I'll look forward to it! I have no problem with Prometheus or Thelma & Louise or KOH or Gladiator and like all of them, but none of them really get me excited. :p

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

If I had to guess, it's probably because his last truly great one (that I've seen) was Black Hawk Down. I've always meant to watch Kingdom of Heaven, but you have to see the director's cut, and that ....'s incredibly long and I never really have a good time to sit down and watch it. Prometheus was a snore fest, much like American Gangster; and Exodus just shouldn't have bothered, since for starters it's all white dudes playing Egyptians. Just cast some colored actors for Christ's sake. Robin Hood was also largely unneeded and just came out as luke-warm, and helped to further the idea that Scott has a giant man boner for Russell Crowe. Take him out of the movies and he probably wouldn't know what to do.

8. Xaios

While I obviously can't offer my own assessment given the film hasn't been released, the reviews seem to indicate that it's probably his best movie since Blade Runner (a movie which actually disappointed me significantly when I finally saw it, given how worshiped it is in SF circles).

9. Xaios

Saw it, loved it. Really fun movie, certainly one of Ridley Scott's least depressing flicks.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Unfortunately I did not read the book, but I saw the movie yesterday - I think it was a great movie, nice fx and good story :)

11. asher

asher So Did We

12. Khoi

Khoi SS.org Regular

Saw The Martian yesterday and really enjoyed it. Really intense, I'm glad to have gone in without knowing anything about it!

There was no trailer for X-Men Apocalypse at the theater I went to before the film.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Saw it tonight, loved it! The best space movie in a long, long time.

14. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I went and saw it last weekend, didn't even realize it was Ridley Scott, but yes, my first impression upon closing credits was, "unholy carp, that was Ridley Scott? He certainly has redeemed himself." I haven't seen but less than half the movies he's made since Black Hawk Down, but this was -- by far -- his best.

15. wankerness

I saw it tonight. It's the best space movie since Interstellar, and Gravity before that! We've been spoiled in the last couple years. I can't think of the last good one before those two, maybe Apollo 13? Sunshine's alright. Anyway, I'd give it about an 8/10. It functions much better than Interstellar and doesn't really have any seriously weak points, unlike Interstellar which has MANY, but it also doesn't have anywhere near the ambition of that movie. It lacks the clunky dialogue and groan-worthy character development of Gravity (well, besides maybe the fact Jessica Chastain is primarily defined by disco music, for who knows what reason), but also isn't nearly as visceral as that one, which had me physically attempting to dodge debris when I first saw it in IMAX 3d. :p

It's incredibly involving, but I guess the glib tone of it keeps it slightly at arm's reach. I'm more than fine with comic relief, and several lines here were legitimately funny, but I think they tipped slightly over the edge. I think maybe if they'd put a "serious" actress in for Kristen Wiig that would have been enough. One thing it does very well is keep you interested in all the non-Matt Damon characters. I was at least as interested in watching them by the second half of the movie.

It pains me to say this, since I'm a HUGE fan of Good Will Hunting and the first three Bourne movies, but I wasn't really that into Matt Damon's character here. He's not offensive, but he's kind of bland and maybe slightly too much of a wiseass. It's hard to tell how much is his fault and how much is the writing's fault, probably somewhere in between. But yeah, it's still a really good movie, just I wouldn't rate it above Gravity and it's about tied with Interstellar. I'd say it's not as good as Apollo 13, but I haven't seen that in many years and maybe this is actually better. 8/10, definitely would suggest everyone go see it, but it's not the second coming of Christ.

16. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

Pretty much all of your criticisms are the "fault" of the author of the original book.

I have no idea if it was in the book, since I haven't read it yet, but in my mind all the disco music was a setup for the music in the closing credits.

I didn't find Gravity as groan-worthy as you did, so it's still tops in my book, and I definitely preferred it to Interstellar, but I completely agree that we are spoiled lately. Some great movies coming out. I thought Moon was really great, although it's an order of magnitude lower budget than the others.

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

My main and likely only issue with Gravity was Clooney. Just him in general. He was a ridiculous casting choice. The idea that Bullocks character would know so little was also not well thought out IMO.

On a personal level the pacing bored me to tears.

Interstellar had its problems, but it kept my interest the entire time and was all around very memorable.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Martian though.

18. wankerness

I wouldn't put Moon in the same category since it's mostly internal and doesn't involve much flight, but it's probably a better movie than the other three.

Anyway, I was thinking, and maybe the thing that really put it over the edge was Donald Glover falling down hilariously. That was some Paul Blart s*** right there.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I didn't like Gravity. It was a better movie than it was talkie. The script and all the dialogue was terrible. Looked pretty, but it was just ridiculous. I'll not say anything about it's science, because that's too easy, except that Clooney died for literally no reason at all. The movie took me right out of the world with that scene, though I was barely in it because of the lack of engaging characters.

So I'd put The Martian way above Gravity, and at least on the level of Interstellar, because while I'm a big Nolan fan, there was some parts that were just too silly, and at least a time or two were things didn't even make Hollywood sense.

One thing that annoyed me in all the movies was the ratio of time passage to people suffering from the bends.

Wowowow! Let's not compare the comedic genius that is Donald Glover and all he touches, to Paul Blart Martl Carp.

20. wankerness

Clooney died for a very good reason - he had to in order for the plot to be solely about Sandra Bullock! If you mean he died for no reason supported by the laws of physics, then yes.

Donald Glover is really funny, yes. Donald Glover being made to fall down "hilariously" is a waste of his talents and stupid. :p