The Lute - luth - luthier

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by hufschmid, Oct 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

And here is Maurizio Grandinetti and his Ottiger...

2. phaeded0ut

phaeded0ut droooooneeeeeeeee!

I really hate to say it, but I completely understand where you're coming from in dealing with folks who are quite closed-minded. Apologies.

3. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

His loss, not ours... :)

I'm glad I love internet because 80% of my orders come from customers I meet on internet

4. phaeded0ut

I dothly concur! Though I don't have any customers. The point I was trying to make previously was that I think it would be an interesting blending of technologies if guitar-builders and luthiers (lute builders) were to take designing/manufacturing methods from each other and incorporate these different methods within their respective designs.

5. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Right, that will never happen over here, luthiers are conservative dick heads who keep their little secrets and who dont share...

I'm in conflict with one of them in the same hometown, a violin maker and occasionaly builds acoustic guitars, he says that electric guitars is not luthery and that its construction...

Then when he gets a customer who is interested in ordering an electric guitar he tells him that he is a luthier, not a constructor and sends him to an other idiot in geneva, but not too me :yesway:

6. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

7. Fler

Fler Òran Mór

Ah the wonderful world of classical snobbery =P

That lutesandguitars.co.uk site has kept me well entertained. Some seriously beautiful instruments there, and it seems like the people who build them are rather decent.

8. phaeded0ut

Sorry to read about that, Patrick. I hate to say it, but it's one of those "it depends on how it is suggested, too" issues. Stephen and Sandi might be a better choice as it seems as though they're a little more open, at least they've a web site and don't think of the Internet as being nothing but misinformation. Especially if you were ask questions concerning the glues and/or finishes being used. ;) Since you're not looking to compete with them in the lute market, they might be more generous with their information?

Have to admit that it would be very interesting to get some of the carbon graphite/polycarbonate folks into this discussion, too.

9. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

pure win :yesway:

10. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

guy sounds like a closed-minded cunt...

...who happens to make pretty lutes.

it´s like zachary guitars, really. he might be good, but his snobbery and ego is in the way of him understanding his craft. guy is stuck in tradition and what´s "correct".

11. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

One of them over here builds violins and lutes (an other maker)

He claims that building is directly related to the hands of god guiding the hands of the luthier and that you must change the way you perceive the instrument in order to realise how people in the past thought it was an instrument from the angels... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

:rofl:

Then one day I met him and he told me that using routers to cut wood changed the molecular structure of wood :agreed:

Conservative purists actually live on romance, things which have been written by ignorants and people without any experience... And they enjoy this romance because it makes people dream :wub:

:nuts::nuts::nuts:

12. phaeded0ut

Oi yoi yoi yoi!!! I think you had told me about the violin maker, prior... Or I might be melding the two gents together. Either way, a bit spooky that such superstitions are still prevalent in a craft that was frankly quite a bit more science-laden than most for its time. Shame that such shipwrights are a thing of the past...

I'm not sure if its romance anymore, I'm a thinkin' it's the almighty <insert currency here>! Sorry, being a bit cynical.

13. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Amazing that such dick heads who say that they dont like machines actually have a website and enjoy new technology?

How fake :rofl: :barf:

14. phaeded0ut

LOLz! on being plastic people! Thanks for the laugh, by the by.

Getting back on topic, I do wonder if the glues, lacquers/finishes that they're using might be beneficial to modern guitars? Just as, modern methods such as fret placement, fret material and non-woods be as equally beneficial to these historic instruments?

15. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

Hot hide glue to glue a fingerboard on an electric guitar neck? :barf:

:lol:

No ways.... I think modern luthery would be more benefical for old instruments....

Purists have a lots to learn but refuse to open their eyes....

16. phaeded0ut

Do they use hot hide glue for the lamination work, too? There is the possible longevity issue to be had...

The flip-side, is how long does hot hide glue take to get to a point where things are usable and not quite so readily moved out of place? ;)

17. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

:nono: they use high tech epoxy created 800 yers ago by graphtech :agreed:

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

18. phaeded0ut

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhaahaa! Seriously though, it is a slight thought... ;)

19. hufschmid

hufschmid Banned

So one of the local luthiers (a major cunt) who enjoys giving theory to me and talking about angels helping him in his craft....

Is currently building his very first steel string guitar....

He eventually did show me some pictures today (yeah he's got a digital camera!!!!!!! I thought he hated technology! :nono:)

So fasten you seat belts:

He is building a steel string guitar with

- a 2mm thick soundboard, 2 vertical braces and no bridge plate!!! :rofl:
    - no truss rod, only a simple bar bought in a hardware store will work and he will carve a backbow to help the neck stay straight :yesway: :rofl:
    - he told me that the average humidity at his workshop is 70% and that his wood is very dry because its been there for many years :yesway: :rofl:

I think the angels will show him how their hands can help him towards wood cracking :rofl:

I wished him good luck, after all he is the master and I have no clue about bulding guitars :yesway:

20. phaeded0ut

Maybe he'll be raptured with the sound of the cracking wood? Hopefully no one gets nailed with the wooden shrapnel or splinters. Oh man, pardon that really bad pun.