The LGBT thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tacotiklah, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Actually, I've been re-learning all the Japanese I forgot from High School recently, and it occurred to me how easy it would be to adapt it to the transgender thing.

Pronouns are all understood once the subject of conversation is established. (e.g. Instead of, "I know Jeff. He is an okay guy." it's more like "I know Jeff. Is an okay guy.") so there's no real "he/she/they" to worry about.

And there's not much in the way of gender-specific honourifics either. Regardless if the person is a "Mister," or "Miss/Mrs.," -san would be the proper way to address an acquaintance. The only real exception is -kun which is specifically for young adult males.

Chinese, from what little I understand (working on that one next- gotta love Pimsleur) operates with a similar system, where "he/she" is summed up with a single pronoun. The only gender difference is in writing... and even that's apparently a rare thing now.

...Sorry, I got a thing for linguistics, don't mind me.

2. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

...you rang? :lol:

Seriously though, there's a lot of us. You're in good company. :yesway:

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It might seem that way for very basic Japanese, but once you get to more advanced Japanese there are like, different grammar structures/word endings depending on whether the speaker is male or female. Rather, I as a man could ask a question and end it with -kashira?, but if I did it everyone would think I'm trying to tell a joke or something, because only a woman can ask a question ending with -kashira?

Oh, I thought of a more basic one: Girls can end an informal question ending with a noun/[na-type]adjective using the syllable 'no'. "Ryo-chan ha ringo ga suki no?", but it would be unnatural for a man not to end his sentence using 'na' before the 'no'. "Aki-chan ha ringo ga suki nano?". Also when using "yo". A girl can say "Watashi ha ringo suki yo", but a boy has to say "Boku (because watashi would be formal) ha ringo suki da yo"

I learned Japanese formally, but my informal Japanese I learned (mostly) from my wife, so I always worry that I talk "girly". But I'm foreign so they kind of expect you to talk goofy.

I believe that this whole concept is called "yakuwarigo", or "role language", and I remember being tested on it in university, where one would have to read a sentence and then answer whether the speaker was a man or a woman.

There is actually a very prominent Japanese celebrity that is a transvestite (I'm not sure whether he's transgender, transsexual, or simply gay, because they don't seem to talk about it on TV, but he's certainly wearing women's clothing and make-up) named Matsuko Deluxe. I don't remember what yakuwari he uses to talk but I'm going to check up on that and let you know! That is, if you even want to know... :lol:

Edit: my wife says Matsuko does say watashi and use women's yakuwarigo, and that it's pretty standard for men who are women.

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Oh, yeah, I remember some of that, but I wasn't aware it was that strictly enforced. I figured it was just kind of like the higher-toned slightly-lisped voice some men have- kinda girly and sets off hits on the gaydar but most people just kind of shrug it off.

I do recall having to say "boku" back in High School, but from what I gather, I'm at the age where I'd just use "watashi" now anyway, so I guess I don't think about that much.

I'm never entirely sure with Japanese celebrities... at least where musicians are concerned. Hizaki from Versailles passes for a woman real well, but I can never get solid confirmation if it's just for the show or if he's actually trans- I've heard people claim both. Maybe if I saw some interviews and paid attention to the speech patterns it might provide a clue??

5. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Discoqueen

Hey hey ^.^! I'm glad to hear there are a lot of us on the forums!

In regards to your post about how us rainbow peeps are doing, life as a rainbow peep is hard, especially since most people prefer the yellow ones :/.

Kidding aside: As someone who's just recently come out, after years of hiding and trying to figure out what the .... was going on in my spirit, I've been doing well! Finally figuring out how to wear the clothes that make me happy and make me feel as feminine as I feel, so that is epic haha. Also, I am lucky to have many people who either hold no prejudice against me or actively support my coming out and transition. Personally, I've only had one scary/hella uncomforatable situation since I've come out (though, going stealth when traveling or going somewhere I don't trust is still a thing.) Trying to learn how to be alert has been a doozy, though.

How has everyone else been??

Also, I love talking queer things, so I hope we can keep the posts rolling!

Edit: also! Picked a new name for myself, as my loving as a woman (without physical transition) has already begun. I've decided on Gwendolyn, so I am very excited!!

6. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Right on! Well as someone that's be out and open for years on both here and IRL, feel free to hmu if you need advice on trans stuff. <3

7. DredFul

DredFul SS.org Regular

In case you need a reason to smile: as of today same sex couples can get married here in Finland :D

Love does win in the end!

8. MARKMYWORDS

MARKMYWORDS SS.org Regular

Came out as bi last year, got lucky everyone has been cool

9. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Trans girl here. Luckily things have changed in my generation and my parents, family, and friends are all accepting (as well as most people everywhere). Hopefully my doctor will let me start hormones soon and I can start presenting female full time!
    Thank you and good luck to everyone :3