The LGBT thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tacotiklah, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Then let's put in a nice little anecdote.

I played with a local band a few weeks ago, V is for Villains. I found out about them a couple months before that, and decided to learn their music on bass. I ended up learning their whole debut album, and posting covers on facebook. The band saw them, and offered to let me join them onstage for a show, so I picked one of the big local anime conventions, Anime Midwest.

And here's the thing - like I've mentioned already, I'm a trans woman. The thing is, I'm not completely out to everybody. But I used this as an opportunity to bring things out, just a little more. See, the thing with V is for Villains is that everybody in the band has a persona, and a really damn cool costume to go with it, so of course I needed one, too. And so I came up with Madam Duskheart, and went full femme. Lipstick, high-heeled boots, skirt, fake boobs, the lot.

And it went over amazing. When I explained the full situation to the band, they immediately asked which name I preferred to use, what pronouns I wanted, and the singer was even like "Oh and I use "dude" and "man" and stuff like that all the time, completely gender neutral, but if that's an issue just tell me"

And then when it came to actually being onstage, I don't think anybody even realized I wasn't a cis woman - and I was up there with two other cis women, so I'm proud of that. My friend Lauren, who was there, and who I'm okay with using my birthname, told me about something that happened during the show.

See, my involvement was never announced by the band. We kept it a complete surprise, to everybody by my friends. So needless to say there were people wondering just who the .... I was. One person asked that out loud, and Lauren, just reflexively, since she's known me more as Ben than Lily, was like "Oh that's Ben."

And the person just turned around and was like "What? No, that's a girl..."

And tbh, it was that tiny little moment that made an awesome night even better.

2. asher

asher So Did We

That's amazing.

:wub:

3. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

Little things like that make all the difference.

It makes my day anytime I'm out and about and get referred to as "ma'am" by cashiers and the like.

[​IMG]

4. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Oh wow, I didn't know you were trans as well. Explains why you loved my "Boobs bring the tone" joke I made to Fred Brum way back in the past. xD
    Good on you for being who you are and not letting anyone bring you down. I just ordered some awesome black lip color from the Jeffrey Star cosmetics line and I plan to work a more goth look into my style. I'd love to do kind of what you're doing for my blackened death metal project ShadoWraith while using the stage moniker "Countess Bathory". :hbang::metal:

5. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

It's rather funny - I actually get that quite a lot when I go out in just shorts and a T-shirt, no effort to pass as feminine made on my part. They usually quickly correct themselves, though I've noticed that happening less and less lately. I figure I have the distinct advantage of being very non-masculine at all.

Although, when I do make that effort, it definitely works out.

[​IMG]

6. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

I'll say. You look fantastic, girl. <3

7. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

I looked fab as .... that night, and I am damn proud of that costume. Just gotta reshape the mask, apparently it was made by the singer's mom, and she doesn't actually form it to a face mold, she just pinches the bridge of the nose...

Funny story - after the set, when we're out by the merch table, I look down and my right boob is just - gone. I panicked, thought it fell out backstage or onstage or something.

Turns out it just shifted a little in my bra, to be over my sternum. GOTTA FIGURE OUT A WAY TO SECURE THOSE A LITTLE

8. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

CALM YO .... WOMAN

9. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

Honestly tho, after an hour of jumping around as much as I did (and let me tell you, I felt it for the next 3 days) I'm surprised all that happened was that one sock fell down a little, and one boob got slightly dislocated.

BUT I MEAN COME ON, REAL BOOBS WOULDN'T DO THAT

10. tacotiklah

Brokeboob Mountains...

11. Curt

Curt Djackass

Who else but coheed? :lol:

Bingo

Dammit Jess. :lol:

Also I reeeeaalllyyy need to get on having my username changed here. :( Kind of sucks logging in every day and seeing that. But laziness has trumped dysphoria lately it seems. Oh wells. :nuts:

Since I haven't announced it here since I last came out as bisexual, I have also come out as transgender as of April of last year. So I figured it was time to be out here as well.

Also: Jess, your avatar nearly caused some coffee-keyboard-cataclysm, thanks. :lol:

12. tacotiklah

Welcome to the harem of gorgeous women that dudes wish they could have. My application there is still pending. Lucky bitch. :wub:

And yeah, I too face a weird battle between laziness and dysphoria. Laziness and apathy usually win on most days.

I just love that avatar. A community that can't poke fun at itself isn't a good one. Coincidentally enough, I was reading through my Sociology textbook and it was covering deviance and why some sociologists claim that it is vital to the health of society as a whole. Glad that I can do my part for the community. :lol:

13. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

The American ambassador Rufus Gifford (right) with his husband (left) at the Copenhagen gay pride parade.

It is not every day you see that version of Stars stribes.

It is weird, as typically we tend to think of you americans as "not to eager to accept the LGBT-community", yet your ambassador here is a lot more open about it than the typical danish gays I know :lol:

14. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

What's really weird is that nowadays, America is seen as far more progressive than Australia these days. Good for them.

15. asher

asher So Did We

That's slightly terrifying.

16. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

Look up our current prime minister, Tony Abbott - parliament recently had a vote on whether to hold a conscience vote on gay marriage; he told his party that anybody from his front benchers would be back benched if they voted in favour of it. We do not get a conscience vote.
    He also passed a bill making it a criminal offence worthy of jail time for doctors working in detention centres to report cases of human rights violation perpetrated by those running the facilities. Scary sad times for this country.

17. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    :eek:

18. tacotiklah

19. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I just joined a newly formed gypsy punk band and the bass player is currently taking hormones and identifies female. She said she can't wait to lop off her manparts :lol: And is currently my favorite member of this project.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok