The LGBT thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tacotiklah, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

So I've noticed that some gay/bi/trans stuff has been popping up as of late, and thought this would be a great thread to talk about all things LGBTQ related as well as a haven for those of us that identify as LGBTQ along with our straight allies to post about the things going on in their life, and the how their gender identity/sexual orientation affects their life. Post relationship stuff, news, and pretty much all things LGBTQ related. The goal here is to have a place to talk about some of these issues in a constructive and non-judgmental way.

Note: Mods will be watching this thread closely, so please, no flaming, spam, or anything else that violates SSOs rules. Regardless of beliefs, please be respectful of other people here, regardless of what they identify as. Thanks, and have at it guys/gals! :)

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Have nothing to add, just thought this thread was a good idea. :D

Although I am part of the LGBT community, so I'll keep an eye out on this thread. :)

3. tacotiklah

Welcome aboard! :)

I thought this thread would be a good idea, but felt it was prudent to talk with a mod about it first so that we can figure out how to do this without becoming a target for trolls/flamefests/etc.

I'll start off with what LGBT stands for, for those that have no clue. (I've had a couple people ask me in chat)

L = Lesbian
    G = Gay
    B = Bisexual
    T = Transgendered

Q is also added a lot of the time which stands for both Queer and Questioning. I've seen the acronym expanded all the way to QUILTBAGPIPE, but frankly I find it getting a bit ludicrous to had so many things to it. It's not that I don't accept the people that these additions mention, but LGBTQ is plenty fine to cover all of us tbvh. :2c:

Just though I'd add this as a sort of PSA. :lol:

4. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

someone needs to make a flaming/flamefest joke just to get it out of the way.:D

All joking aside, I'm about as liberal as liberal can be and fully support the LGBT community and its fight for equal rights on all fronts and it would be interesting to read your stories and thoughts as an outsider :yesway:

5. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I'm straight, but have a huge man crush on Anderson Cooper.

6. tacotiklah

DLG, this thread is for our straight allies too! :)
    Don't be afraid to post in here because we wanna hear about things on your end as well...

And yes, Anderson Cooper is one sexy beast. I've also heard rumors that he's gay, so I kinda wanna look into that. :lol:

7. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

I am a big friend of your people.

Nah, seriously. I am straight, and frankly, I don't really care which way someone swings. If someone is an ass, I am going to dislike them anyway, if I'd also factor in sexual orientation my list of enemies would be a lot longer.

Live long and prosper I say:donnie:

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

He's a pretty private guy and won't reveal it, sadly. :p

But I did read rumors that he's dating an owner of a gay bar or something.

9. tacotiklah

Given the current political climate, can't say I blame him. Especially with the job that he has...

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

This is obviously nothing personal, and ghst himself said he's not huge on the WHOLE acronym, but I've always found the Questioning part to be a bit ...weird? Like, questioning WHAT? If it's your sexuality towards anything and whether or not exists, then it's a resounding yes and anyone who denies it is in for a life of torture during their day to day routine; I feel in this case monks are exempt since they live off by themselves with no real temptations. If it's what you're attracted to, whether it be male or female, wouldn't that just make you bisexual and have no need for the Q?

Just something I always think of when people mention the longer version of LGBT

11. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I didn't think it was a secret? Anderson Cooper is gay.

12. tacotiklah

Fixed for improved accuracy. ;)
    (I know I'm being a bitch about this and I do apologize, but trust me when I say the best way to greet/speak of a transperson is to use pronouns and greetings befitting of their CURRENT gender. My friends here are right though, I gotta suck it up and be the person to help foster change regarding this)

Questioning is there for people that are still trying to work out what they are. The realization that you may not be straight is a massive mind fuck, and therefore the community wants to be there for these individuals too. I've seen people that were 100% sure they were straight (myself being one of them) later realize that they were just bullshitting themselves. I've also seen gay people that were 100% sure that they were gay, later realize they like women too.

The questioning is there to show those that are going through the early parts of their self discovery that we are there for them, and will do whatever we can to support them as they figure themselves out. :yesway:

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Ya know, I stopped myself from saying Adam yet still typed him/he :lol:

I guess I can see why they put it in there, but I feel like I'll always have this "black/white" or in this case "straight/not straight (regardless of it being gay/bi/trans)" mindset and think the Q is kind of unnecessary. I don't consider it a bad thing or am gonna go out and protest it being LGBTQ... just a personal view is all

14. tacotiklah

I know dude, and that's why I gotta get the stick outta my ass about it too. I know you guys are trying for the most part. :lol: (if looking for a name, Jessica works. ;) )

The Q mainly stands for Queer though. Basically those that identify as being outside the gender binary; but that still makes no sense to me either since they are also included in the trans community. Ah well...

15. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I'm not part of the community, but I am definitely a big supporter of the LGBT community and of equal rights and the freedom to love in general, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread :yesway:

16. tacotiklah

^This thread is for you guys too. :)
    We welcome any and all supporters. :yesway:

17. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Kind of an odd tale. An english chap that I've been friends with for nearly 10 years certainly has an interesting history in this regard. When I first met him, he was gay. He had a lot of struggles through his teen years (also because he's clinically depressed and probably a little bipolar). He told me but some dreams he had through the years, and how his life improved when he was finally able to interpret them, ultimately leading to the personal understanding that he was gay.

Me and this friend have taught each other a lot over the years, and I wouldn't be the person I am if it hadn't been for him. We debated a million issues of religion and morality, him coming from the perspective of a gay atheist and me coming from the perspective of a straight christian. We learned a lot together.

When he first found out I was christian, he told me straight up that I was unlike any christian that he had ever met, aside from his mother, in that I approached things with a generally "live and let live" mindset. I explained that, despite what a lot of christians actually practice, we're called to hate the sin and love the sinner, because we're all sinners. I'm no less sinful in the eyes of God than he is, so it's unfair to him to be judged by others for his sin while I walk away scott free in spite of mine.

On the flipside, he helped me become more accepting of people in general as well. No matter my intentions, I didn't really know any people who were gay before him. I had believed myself to be a tolerant person, but he showed me how to be truly accepting of others.

I can genuinely say that his friendship made me a better person.

(As an aside, it does bear mentioning that, for reasons that I'm not privy to, he's no longer gay. I honestly don't have a clue why that is.)

18. Jakke

Jakke Pretty wisdomous

Yes... Yes... More... We need more into the conspiracy to support the gay agenda (satanism really)... MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Findings suggests that sexuality is not set in stone, it can be fluid and change over a life.

19. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

THIS THREAD IS DARK SIDED!!!!

DON'T LISTEN TO JESSICA..SHE'S NOT A CHRISTTTIAAAANNNNAAA!!!!
    [​IMG]

No but seriously..it's a good thread idea. even though I'm not really part of "the community" I still endorse this thread

20. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I'm straight, but have absolutely nothing against the LGBTQ society. Hell, I even have giant crushes on Bradley Cooper, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Ryan Gosling. No shame.