The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Kenworth666

Kenworth666 SS.org Regular

Been an Ironheart owner for over a year now and I saw there were a lot of interesting stuff being discussed here. Recently I've swapped some of the preamp tubes for a Tung Sol and an EHX to basically try to have more gain ( playing thrash and some other stuff ), but though it does have a bit more gain, I thought it was going to be more substantial. For those who've been experimenting with various preamp tubes, which place do you reckon would be best to put the different tubes ?
    ( the two others are the original JJ and a ruby )

2. jchrisf

jchrisf SS.org Regular

In a lot of ways I wasted my money here on this Joyo EQ. It wasn't expensive but I discovered the 4CM with modelers and remembered I had a Digitech RP350. I can't do 4CM with the 350 but I did put it in the loop. I can do a lot more EQ options with the RP plus I can do FX. Really, really made this amp come alive and even change character. I can also do amp modeling this way (through the loop) as it bypasses the IRT Pregain and becomes a tube power amp. It even has a drum loop through the IRT this way :)

I also put it in front of the amp and turned off Amp and Cab modeling on the RP along with FX and used it as a dirt pedal, whammy, wah, volume (volume works in loop as well), etc. Really was nice... now I just need to find something that will do 4CM. I'm thinking the RP1000 since I am familiar with Digitech and then I can use it in front and in the loop at the same time.

The Digitech made this amp into a versatile beast well beyond what it already was. The cleans really sparkled more too.

3. Rabplaysguitar

Rabplaysguitar SS.org Regular

I've owned this amp for almost 2 months now. At first I thought it sounded good enough with my les paul. My one gripe with it is that the eq section for each channel is very subtle - you'll mostly shape your tone with the 'tone' knob. That was until I threw in the MXR 10 Band EQ into the effects loop and an ISP Decimator into the chain.

I demo the result in this video, I'm liking the tone generated - what do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/ifjii76jrjU

4. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

If we weren't such hopeless geeks i can totally picture "EQ in the IRT's fx loop" becoming a meme :lol:

5. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

checking back in with my ironheart 30 watt combo.

currently have a eminence cannabis rex 50 watt 16ohm speaker in there.
    Also have a TAD highgrade in v1, a gold lion in v2, and a EHX in v3.
    Still have a lot of experimenting to do with preamp tubes and positions.
    So far though, those 3 tubes have worked great!
    I've got a pair of EHX 6l6 power tubes in there, which worked better than the stock ruby's or groove tubes I tried for a while.
    Groove tubes weren't bad.
    The biggest difference came when my bud helped me properly bias my amp. It came biased real cold from the factory and was almost set on giving up on the thing!
    My bud got the amp running hotter and it deff came alive!
    Also using a juice box attenuator which rocks!

I am looking for a modern high gain sound, something in the djenty range for lack of a better word :D
    Tight, compressed, articulate, with balls and oomph and a bit of grit :D
    Playing with a Schecter KM7 MK2 and everything is sounding great!
    Got a lot of work ahead of me though, the amps got potential.

Considering upgrading the output and power transformers and adding a choke. The stock ones are puny :)

Looking at getting a different speaker and potentially building a 2x12 with the cannabis rex and whatever speaker I end up getting.
    The HESU Demon has currently caught my attention.

Still like the idea of getting an EQ for the amp, but im still also shopping for the right overdrive pedal. Currently using a Visual sounds route 808 OD, think its modeled after a maxon 808?
    Really like my bud's dead horse by pro tone!
    Tried a palisades OD and also a pale horse from VFE.
    Wasn't impressed by either.
    Waiting on a Focus by VFE which I've got high hopes for, its supposed to be some kind of OD(minus the gain)/Comp/EQ pedal all in one.
    Gonna see how that works before getting an EQ or compressor.

On that tone quest for sure >___<
    Almost gave in for a PRS Archon :D :D

Aside from all that I do want some good effects like delay, reverb, chorus :D

That is all!

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I've had the IRT60H for over two years now and its still my favorite amp.

7. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Have you done any mods to it? What kind of speakers do you use wit it?
    find any pedals that work good with it?
    Also what kind of OD do you use, and do you use any compression or eq?

Have any luck retubing and biasing?

I've got a 30 watt ironheart combo currently which I was falling out of love with rapidly. Recently got it biased properly and threw in an attenuator and it sounds wayyyyy better.
    The amp came alive, saturates better, compresses better, added some tightness and sizzle :D
    Now im looking to further modify the amp to my liking.

As far as I can tell Laney biases the ironhearts very cold from the factory, bringing it up a good amount made all the difference.
    Also cant sleep on the attenuator, got a juice box and I cant go back!
    The Watt knob on the Laney aint much of an attenuator, it does do a decent job at lowering the volume but a real attenuator made a bigger difference.

8. Warg Master

Warg Master Weeping strings...

yes! This!

Biasing the amp helps BIG time. It's a bit of a pain in the ass since the pot is buried, but the amp just OPENS UP! so, so good.

I have a 60.

9. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Looks like I have to take out the chassis to do this.

Are there bias test points inside? What did you bias it to?

10. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Biasing this amp was the best thing that ever happened!

There is a labeled bias point and trim pot.
    They should be labeled on the board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those are for the ironheart 30 watt combo from Laney directly.
    I presume it should be bout the same for the other versions of the amp.

11. Sammyi19

Sammyi19 SS.org Regular

Holy thread resurrection batman! So I've got the ironheart studio and I'm wondering. Can I use the d.i out into the front of my Scarlett 2i2 and how do I do that?

12. robski92

robski92 SS.org Regular

You should have seen when I posted in the 11R thread lol.

13. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I just read this. My amp used to get an FX loop noise, like there was a ground loop or something that would raise the noise floor when things were in the FX loop.

I sent it to the USA repair shop in NJ and they fixed it! I thought they would say "its normal" or something like that. Turn around less than a week.

The noise was not so bad that it was obviously broken, but it was annoying. It was possible to mostly cover it up with the noise gates, but it was still apparent in the tails.

Even fixed, its not a quiet amp, but the FX loop doesn't add to the problem any more. My solution for the noise this amp can generate is to use it with 4cm with my GT100. I use one of the built in boosts for a touch extra gain, and the built in noise gates track it much better than if I was trying to get all the gain from the amp.

So the tone I get is 90% ironheart, but I add a touch of grit from one of the stomp models for my highest gain leads.

IRT60

This is a weird amp. in some ways it seems kind of cheap and there are limitations, but its super versatile and records better than anything else I have owned. The push pull knobs let me sit the tone in the mix exactly how I want. Its as if it was designed with reamping in mind. I have complete control over power tube saturation with the wattage knob. And I can get anything from grainy to smooth. Does every level of gain really well from clean all the way to 95%. Needs a boost pedal for 100%.

I used to spend alot of time with tube swaps. Hot and bright are what it needs, but once you accept you will be using a boost pedal to get the extra gain, the tube swaps are kinda irrelevant.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I miss the tones of my ironheart 120watt (although I have a kemper now) so much so that I want to get the Laney Pulse stompbox (2 preamp tubes from the IRT range inside) to run infront of my amps (Laney claim it works as a boost pedal aswell as an amp in a box) to acquire back some of that nice Laney flavour I miss.

I use for practice and live atm an ENGL E530 preamp + Torpedo CAB for cab sounds > PA

I hope to have the Laney Pulse infront of the Engl as a tube boost. Plus would also allow me to create a all pedal rig if need be for the smaller shows using the Laney as the amp

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

update: ***

I now own the Pulse pre amp! Wow the thing is amazing!!!. Especially with 3rd party IRs.
    i cant believe it tbh.

Its going to be the heart of my whole live/pedal board rig going forward and when I record demos/albums using my Kemper, Im going to pop this pedal in the Kempers effects loop for some Valve goodness.

With a little bit of EQ'ing (so Im going to get a Boss Ge7 to use with it) you can get unreal modern progressive tones.

16. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... F@#k!

Ok guys, I've tried searching here and google and the Laney forum apparently doesn't want to send me an activation email so here I am.

I've got a Laney IRT120 and it's pissing me off. Have any of you had a situation where the crunch and lead volumes have to be on at least 7 to keep up with the clean volume on 2? I've emailed Laney and they just suggested swapping tubes. Which I did with no change. I played a gig with my friends band last weekend and he has a Mesa Mark V 25 and his dirty channel was on 4-4.5 and louder than my IRT120 on 7 and that's just ridiculous. Have any of you had this problem and have you found a solution? Thanks guy and I really hope I can find an answer because I love the Ironheart and don't wanna ditch it.

17. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

^ there's definitely something wrong there. i've got the Studio but i don't think it's that much different. i usually keep the clean volume at 3 and the rhythm and lead channels volume at no more than 2.

18. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... F@#k!

Yeah... I'm just gonna have to send it in for warranty. Laney was kinda beating around the bush on it but after a few more emails they told me to just send it in. They could have just thrown that out instead of change the tubes. Good thing I had an extra set lying around I was gonna retube my 5150 with. lol

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i picked up a Laney Pulse tube preamp/reamp pedal second hand of Ebay for a stupid cheap price because it worked fine BUT the previous owner had broken the LED's meaning the thing no longer glowed Red.

anyway I emailed Laney to see if I could send them it to be repaired so it glowed again, and their amazing customer service replied that they would do it for free for me :O amazing.

So Im sending them it tomorrow. It sounds so good and I cant wait to finally see what the thing looks like in the dark glowing Red!!

20. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I have the ironheart 120 head. I've owned amps from Framus,egnater, mesa, engl, peavey, titan, peters, baron marshall etc and the ironheart is easily top 3 for amazing rock and metal tones. I wish the footswitch would control the loop, as well as do a couple other things my egnater armageddon's would do, but I do love this amp and it absolutely crushes live on stage.