The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. mrdm53

mrdm53 SS.org Regular

I'm using IRT Studio for now. great cleans, but not-so-good low-gain sounds. A little bit muddy for my playstyle.

After i add a tubescreamer pedal in front of IRT, now it sounds like beast

2. jchrisf

jchrisf SS.org Regular

Is there any info to mod the studio anywhere.. bias, etc?

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone own the Pulse pedal? And using it specifically to boost an amp?. Wondered if we had any good experiences using it in this way?. Especially with 7 and 8 string guitars?

4. jchrisf

jchrisf SS.org Regular

This amp gets better every day. Not many people posting here anymore. Did everyone sell their IRTs?

5. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

I sold mine when I got the Line 6 Helix. I think it's great but couldn't justify keeping it with the Helix. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a lower wattage tube amp. The features are awesome. I especially liked it for really low tuned stuff. I did find it to be a bit noisy and it got really hot. It made me a little nervous having in my rack. I left a space above and below it too in the rack.

6. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

well, i don't know how much still there is to discuss. we have it, we like it (or not), it's versatile, it takes pedals well! i need to dig up some info back from the thread to see what has been said about tube swaps though.

7. jchrisf

jchrisf SS.org Regular

I got a good 80's Marshall rock tone outta these settings on the Rhythm channel through a Marshall JCM900 1960B 4x12.

[​IMG]

8. d_sic3

d_sic3 SS.org Regular

Need help guys...

I have a Laney IRT Studio and an POD HD500. I wanted to use the POD as a foot controller for the IRT so that I won't be doing any tap dancing if I need to go clean or dirty from the amp. I wanted to just stomp one footswitch (in the POD) so that it will call the clean channel (in the IRT) + effects then stomp a different footswitch to call the Dirt channel disabling the effects in the POD.

Has anyone here tried that approach or maybe tried a workaround? Not sure if changing the tip of the footswitch and connect to POD's MIDI in will do. The IRT footswitch latch-type.

Thanks in advance.

9. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Grabbed myself an Ironheart 30 watt combo!
    trying diff speakers in it currently and looking to get into retubing the thing!

Ive got an electro harmonix 12ax7 in the v1 instead of the ruby it came with and the rest all stock for now.
    also tried a mullard and a tung sol, none sounded better than the electro harmonix in v1.

Any suggestions?

10. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

^ what differences did you notice ?

11. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

the electro tube in v1 smoothed things out in comparison to the stock tube. The other 2 (mullard, tung sol) were harsher and flatter, think the mullard went bad though. But I also threw in a speaker which rolls back the high much and kicks in the bass and bass response up to 11..

Plan on throwing in the stock speaker back in to get a better reference for what the tubes are doing.

12. nosferum

nosferum SS.org Regular

So after a long decision I have decided I am getting my first tube amp, the Laney Ironheart 60 head! I still need to decide on a cab. I have about a 600$ budget for a cab. Any reccomendations on what would sound good with the IRH60 head? I was thinking of just getting the matching 4x12 cab but I'm not sure how good it is. I'll be playing with my drummer buddy in addition to practicing at home so I want something with a lot of punch but also usable at low practice volumes. Thanks to the wattage knob it sounds like that will come in handy for times when I need a lower volume situation. The cleans and Hi-gain tones sound great on this amp. I play lots of Classic 80's metal, thrash, death metal etc. I believe this amp will deliver the tones I'm looking for and then some! :hbang:

13. Veritech Zero

Veritech Zero Jeffy Turbo

My first suggestion. Get a Tube Screamer pedal. Just trust me on that one. I LOVE the ironheart tone, but for really saturated lead sounds you are going to need one. I would also look into a Boss NS-2 or similar noise gate.

When I first got mine I ran it through a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. They can be had super cheap in the used market and sound fantastic. Currently I run it through a home built 2x12 with a Celestion V30 and Eminence Man-0-War. These two particular cabs sound VERY different from each other, and the Laney sounds great going through both so I would imagine that it wont really matter what you get as long as it is good quality.

14. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

PSA: This amp is actually pretty quiet, all it needs is a master volume.

I'm running a TC Electronic Spark Booster, in the loop, as a volume cut. Cleans are super quiet, but surprisingly, even the rhythm & lead channels are. My next build will be a master volume pedal for FX loops, because so many of them need it. :lol:

15. nosferum

nosferum SS.org Regular

Cool. I'm thinking of getting the Maxon OD808 and the Decimator II G String along with the Laney IRH60. Question, are two Decimator II G-strings recomended or can I get by with one Gstring for the Amp? One in front of the amp and in the effects loop? Where should I stick my effects in this setup with the Gstring? Mostly I'll just have chorus, delay, and the Maxon at the time being.

Thanks

16. Veritech Zero

The Decimator G-String can be both in front of the amp and in the fx loop at the same time.

[​IMG]

17. nosferum

nosferum SS.org Regular

Thanks so do I need two G-Strings or can I get by with just one?

18. charrondev

charrondev SS.org Regular

You would need two regular Decimators or one G-string. I used to get by with just one Decimator in front (I find thats the where most of the noise and feedback come from) Putting it in the FX loop only really seems noticeable to me if you have a super noisy amp. And even on my old 6505 I didn't feel like I needed any gate in the FX loop. There is something to be said about a totally silent amp though.

19. nosferum

nosferum SS.org Regular

Great! Thanks!

20. Veritech Zero

This. If you get the G-string, the picture I posted is how you set it up to be both in front and in the fx loop.