The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kullerbytta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

Just as the Axe Fx, Pod HD, 5150 III and so on... I figured there's a need for a place for all the Ironheart owners :agreed:
    You're all familiar with the 'Owners'-threads I believe so I assume there's no need to explain the purpose of this thread :lol:

I got myself an Ironheart some... 2 months ago perhaps, and have been very impressed by it so far. Love it. I haven't really gotten the time to record a whole song yet because I've got a 3 months old baby girl :D
    I did however have some spare time the other day and did a quick recording of some stereotypical dontknowwhatsubgenrebutwhatever-riffs I could compare to my old recordings done with my Vypyr.

https://soundcloud.com/gnudrun/laney-ironheart-irt60-tone

Compared to my other songs the tone from the IRT feels so much more alive...

Fellow owners, join me in this thread and share your opinions, thoughts, videos, songs or whatever concerning the IRT.

Ericjutsu likes this.
  2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

:yesway:

I bought my IRT60H in February of last year, probably one of the first on the forum. :)

I did a couple vids back then:

Haven't really had time to record anything else(moved, got hitched, etc). :lol:

3. JoshuaVonFlash

JoshuaVonFlash SSBRO.org regular

Nice Ibbey what's the other one in the video on top?

4. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

Ironically, I got a delivery confirmation for my IRT 60H in the mail THIS MORNING

And since this is my first head/cab piece of kit, I now have the absolute worst job on the planet for a guitarist:

Wait for the fine folks at Music 123 to ship my cab -_-

So, yeah, I'm an owner. My impression so far? mad cuz (no)cab.

I went with the Laney GH series 2x12; not the Ironheart matching cab because Celestions and the same price point.

Rest assured I'll have a NAD post here pretty soon, though.

5. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

Oh yeah, I remember watching your vids when I was researching the IRT's :D yours were some of the ones that helped me in deciding to pull the trigger :hbang:

Mmmm, know that feeling! When I first bought my 5150 blockletter I was without a cab for 4 months :lol: so I couldn't do a damn thing but stare at my 5150 during that time... :wallbash:

Looking forward to that NGD!

6. JLP2005

Why do we do this to ourselves again?

7. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

Well, I din't have enough money for a cab at the time... Back then I was just a measly student :ugh:

8. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

That is a USA Charvel SoCal with some mods(swapped pickguard, pickups, etc). :)

9. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

Hey Ironheart owners !

what can you tell me about the combos ? a local place is selling the 60W combo. i tried it once, didn't like it much; changed my strings and pickup & had more time with it and liked it better.

however it's out of my price range. i think it was somewhere around 900 to 1100$. they also said they're shipping in in the following weeks some more models, maybe a 30W. would you recommend one of these ?

10. JLP2005

Here is what I CAN tell you:

My research has told me the following: The stock 'HH Custom Drivers' are looked at less favorably than other, more commercially well known driver brands and products (WHO KNEW?!). From what I have HEARD (again, stressing that this is subjective, third party accounts), a speaker upgrade will go a LONG way to making the combo a sexy and effective piece of kit.

Personally?

I went for the Head/Cab combo because versatility is a HUGE component of my musicianship. Whether I need a 1x10, 1x12, 2x12, or half/full stack depends on so much shit, so I need flexibility. Plus, I'd be able to upgrade my cab later on if I so chose.

What I ended up doing (after buying a 'blemished' IRT 60H from ZZounds.com and discovering it was near-pristine), was buying a GH-series 2x12 with Celestion 70/80s.

Now, I can't tell you:

What it ACTUALLY sounds like with the stock HH Custom Drivers.

Either way, this amp is delicious. You can't go wrong, it's serious titty city.

11. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

cool ... speaker upgrages, titty city either way. all that is left to do is to go when the store is empty, so i can try it out once again but by further raising the watts knob. thank you very much for your info !

12. Axewield31

Axewield31 SS.org Regular

Has anyone here played the studio 15w model?
    If so, what were your thoughts? I'm looking to buy a fairly cheap/low wattage amp for high gain stuff (mostly djent tones) and am tossing up between this and a Randall Diavlo. What do you think?

13. Stephen

Stephen Collibus

I own the 60 Watt Head and also 2 of the IRT Studios,

I use the IRT Studio's more than the 60 watt head, not only because of them being easier to transport but they keep up with drummers very well.

They're great amps and it's very surprising how great they sound, especially for the price. Suppose some could say i'm slightly Biased towards Laney being a Laney Artist and all but I've been using them for years and all the amps of theirs I own have been extremely reliable.

Definitely check one out if you can though dude, you won't be disappointed with the tones you can get from them.

14. Axewield31

Axewield31 SS.org Regular

I'll have to. From all the high gain demos I've watched, they seem kinda fizzy and don't have the attack I'm after.
    Something I'll have to investigate further.

15. Stephen

Stephen Collibus

If you want to hear it within a mix, I used it on my bands album which is to be released on the 20th.

Only thing I can show at the moment is this Preview but all the guitar parts were done Using an IRT Studio and a TT412S Cab with Vintage 30's

Here is a video I did of it just dry while testing a guitar I just bought that day but using a GS412PA with Vintage 30's instead. Rare I play 6 strings though!

16. Path

Path SS.org Regular

17. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Nice clips. New band for me to check out! Also the Decapitated and Pantera riffs? Yes. :dime:

18. Stephen

Stephen Collibus

Cheers dude! Haha yea had to play some Decapitated on that guitar, seem to play death metal a lot on that particular guitar.

tscoolberth likes this.
  19. JLP2005

Hey, can we actually share eachother's tone settings?

20. Kullerbytta

Kullerbytta Newborn

I'd definately be into that! I've got a setting that sounds almost exactly like Cradle's tone on 'Under Huntress Moon'.

I'm not a fan of that particular album but I do love the old CoF.

I'll make a quick recording tonight if I have the time just to prove it :D

Edit:

Upon further inspection I realized that my tone wasn't 'almost exactly' like in the song :lol:
    Anyway, here it is: https://soundcloud.com/gnudrun/cradle-of-filth-tone-match
    Original has more low end and less top end than my sound.
    Settings on Lead Channel are: Bass -1.5, Middle -4, Treble +2 (knob pulled out), Lead Volume 1, Dynamics 12 o'clock, Tone +1 and watts on full.