The Jillard Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Jay Jillard, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Knarbens

Knarbens M&W Custom Guitars

In 24 hours? Well that'd be fast! But to me great guitar building is in the details and these are taking time ...

2. Alcoholocaust

Alcoholocaust SS.org Regular

I really dig that maple burl empress, very nice! Do you have anymore pics of the wenge Empress?

3. Jay Jillard

Jay Jillard I make things.

support the kickstarter and I guess we will see if that's the case =]

I don't disagree with you, and you know I put a lot of focus and detail into my guitars, but the point of this is to challenge myself to still make an amazing guitar within 24 hours.

Thanks =]

do you mean the one I already posted, or the all black one?

The all black one I just need to polish the frets on next week, then i'll be taking photos and putting it up for sale.

4. Knarbens

Knarbens M&W Custom Guitars

I see! Gotcha! Was just sayin bro :)

5. Jay Jillard

Well everyone, filming is finished!

SO many things went wrong in the morning, and that required me to adapt and change plans a few times. the guitar we finished with was not the guitar I had planned to make.

There were also a few dumb mistakes made due to oversights and fatigue that had to be dealt with. I havn't reviewed any of the footage yet, but I'm hoping that we can put together a really informative documentary style video from the day.

Fatigue hit me in ways that I never really expected. Sure, I was tired from being awake so long, but after hours 17-20 of physically wanting to sleep, i was fine. The fatigue came more in the form of hand cramps and crazy pain in my legs. I hadn't really realized until someone else pointed it out... I had also been STANDING for almost the entirety of the 25 hours that I was awake.

Almost 30 people dropped by during the day to cheer me on and offer advice, and i can pretty much directly link my ability to push on with them being there.

After a really rough morning of things going wrong, I was pretty discouraged about the whole ordeal, and was struggling to catch up with my original timeline (or catch up to a revised timeline even )

But eventually I got back to a point where I was reminded about how much I enjoy building, and how fun it can be. I just started working hard and made up a lot of time, and was a bit more light hearted with everything. Rolling with the punches of things going wrong was actually a rewarding creative experience.

Anyways, I'll be bringing the finished guitar to the Exotic Woods Guitar show on Sept 19th in Burlington Ontario. The guitar will be debuted there, and That will also be the first day that I post official photos of it. I've basically just been sleeping and recovering the past two days, the shop is in a chaotic state, i'm sore, and I can't think properly. But I'll be getting back to work tomorrow, cleaning the shop and preparing for the 19th.

Again, if you wish to support this project, please do so here:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/410020418/the-24-hour-build-documentary-jillard-guitars

we have a little under $800 left go go, and 15 days to do it! Please consider picking up a t-shirt or sweater, or jsut giving even a dollar or two to help support.

Thanks guys!

6. Jay Jillard

7. Jay Jillard

I've been testing out different brands of pots recently.. currently trying out these bourns ones. I really like how solid the housing is, and how neat/clean they are in the cavity, and that they will likely last forever.. but the feel of the knob rotation is almost too loose. I personally like the smoother feel of the mini alphas.. but those are obviously lower quality.

What do you guys find more important, the perceived quality and longevity of the pots, or how it feels to turn the knob? How do you prefer them to feel? what pots do you prefer in general?

I'm actually not a fan of CTS.. havn't tried emerson yet.. Small form factor is a plus.
    [​IMG]

here's the new jig I got from Adam, it's quite impressive, and makes doing fan frets super fast. (I cover the full use in my documentary)
    I just wish the plexi templates were made a bit better, but for the price, I can highly recommend this system. I'm just going to get my laser guy to cut some better templates for me.
    [​IMG]
    The 7 string empress with piezo is pretty much done, just going to try and do the bridge anodizing myself, so that's slowed me down a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Finished this all black (all wenge) empress.. it's been sitting waiting to be assembled for a year now, just got around to it this week. so.. its a brand new 2014 empress? did i jsut do my first NOS item? It'll be up for sale once i get photography done on it.
    [​IMG]

also finished up a random blue tyrant I started last year. and by finished, i mean it's at Jame's house being wired up now. It's seriously the lowest action I have ever seen.. it's almost TOO low feeling (no buzz though)
    I'll probably raise it after guitar day this weekend, but i'll leave it that low for now to kinda show off. First time i've done a zero-fret too, they are cool but i need more time with it before I decide.
    [​IMG]

8. ThatBeardGuy

ThatBeardGuy Contributor

What do the mini switches on the black empress do?

9. Jay Jillard

that one is simply a coil split for each pickup, volume, tone, and a 3 way switch.

Quite versatile, one of my favourite wiring layouts.

10. Jay Jillard

11. Jay Jillard

weeeee! photo dump:

24 hour build:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue tyrant:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Jay Jillard

Black Empress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Armada 4 (more pics in the Armada Thread)
    [​IMG]

13. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Liking the Blue Tyrant. All of the pics are showing up stupidly massive for me.

14. Jay Jillard

thanks.. and weird, they should scale down automatically on sevenstring. They are for me, anyways.

anyone else having the same problem?

15. JuliusJahn

JuliusJahn Luthier

They load as full size, then once it's done they get resized.

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, Jay has some serious megapixels in his camera. I'll only open this thread if I have my phone plugged into a wall charger and resting on a cooling mat. :lol:

17. Jay Jillard

my bad guys, i'll start downsizing my photos beforehand, i had no idea it was this bad for people.

I'll blame that for why my thread has a low view/response rate =P

ANYWAYS

moving sale. some stuff is 1k lower than normal, and a couple guitars I never thought i'd consider selling.

need to lighten my load before the move, and help fund a couple new things for the business in the new shop to keep making things even better =]

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152983447959784.1073741845.279027074783&type=3

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Jay, what's the scale length on your old Armada? And it appears those are all 6 strings available, right? Any sevens up for grabs?

19. Jay Jillard

Old Armada is 34"-36.75" Plays really great, feels good, but i've switched pickup designs on the new ones for a reason, the old one sounds nice, but has a lower output, vintagy sounding.

only seven I have here is a customer's build about to finish up...so.. he'd be mad if i gave it to you. =P

Rob has been trying to sell his PME 7 for a while now, he wasn't a fan of the fret size was his only serious issue with it.

I offered to refret it and fix any other small things, I could extend that offer to you free of charge if you purchase from him, it would just have to make it's way back to me for a bit to get tuned up for ya.. and I can't cover those shipping charges out of pocket.

I'm pretty sure Dan+dylan played it before i shipped it out if you were looking for opinions on it first, or talk to Rob about it.

Give me a call tomorrow or pm me if you have any questions.

20. Jay Jillard

SOOOOO much high figure TAMO ash imported from Japan for Dan's second guitar. its going to be..pretty crazy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally figured out anodizing stuff myself, another thing that is now in house, all controlled by me. This means reduced wait times to get stuff anodized, and I no longer have to do stuff in batches of colors, which means I can now offer cool custom colors when needed =] Dan is getting a red one =]
    [​IMG]

and a photo of Evan's 7 string bleached walnut empress last week. pickups got topped with wenge and we are no in the wiring/assembly stage =]
    [​IMG]