The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by FourFour, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Inazone

Inazone SS.org Regular

VST is the format that most DAWs (see below) use for plug-ins. Not all DAWs use VST; Pro Tools uses RTAS format, and some DAWs use AU format. On a Windows PC, you will have a VST folder, usually somewhere within Program Files. A company called Steinberg actually came up with the technology, so it's probably C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VST Plugins\ or something like that. I can't be sure because I'm at work and this PC of course doesn't have those folders. In any case, most DAWs point to that location by default, and have a menu system for adding VST plug-ins to audio tracks.

DAW = digital audio workstation, such as Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, etc. A lot of plug-ins also work as stand-alone applications in case your DAW doesn't allow external plug-ins. For example, POD Farm and Amplitube can be run as stand-alone apps "in front of" your DAW. As I mentioned above, some (such as Pro Tools) use a different plug-in format, but some like Propellerhead Record don't use plug-ins other than what is built into the DAW.

2. MusicMetalHead

MusicMetalHead P4

Oh wow. That was a while ago. I've got all that working now. Just need to get a preamp or my dist pedal back so my signal isnt crap and I'll be set to go. Had some recordings done but no signal boosting so it sounded like rotten ass cakes

3. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

Reaper now comes with a convolution reverb plugin! It's in the 64 bit beta version.

4. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

anyone have experience with keFIR taking up a shitload of CPU? I turn it off and I'm at like 3, then I turn it on and I'm at like 35....is that normal?

EDIT - just wanted to say that impulses kick MASSIVE ass. and thank you so much OP for this thread. it's been very helpful :)

5. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Convolution reverbs are inherently very high system consuming functions. Always have been, there is little you can do. I've heard of lighter plugins, but nothing really does the trick. Gotta have that CPU power.

GATA4 likes this.
  6. skattabrain

skattabrain slow and low

7. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

Aye aye. I guess that's how it goes. Thanks for clearing it up man :). I'm mixing on a little laptop right now so, yeah, I need some more CPU power down the line :lol:.

8. ALAN_C

ALAN_C SS.org Regular

where can i find for mac user ? i already dowload the Lernvall Audio , but it's" dll "file.

can not open it . Still have others you guys are suggest ?

about my gear is using POD and garageband . how can i use the impulse ?

i'm new for this ,sorry .

9. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I use Altiverb 6.

10. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

I'm having a completely retarded problem with Recabinet and Boogex.
    In Nuendo :)lol:) I have my guitars quad-tracked 100/80 left and right, but for whatever reason, my guitar signals become inaudible when panned to the right. It slowly starts killing the signal more and more, until POOF! All gone.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I half resolved the issue. Though I still have no clue as to why it was killing the right signal. Either way, sound has been achieved. :yesway:

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

LAConvolver for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Copy the .component file into:
    Volume/library/audio/plug-ins/components

Next time you open your DAW you will be able to select it as a plug-in. It can cause your projects to crash when you drag it to a new channel strip and randomly when you open a project but it does the job. I can't wait for Recabinet 3 to come out.

12. armanikane

armanikane SS.org Regular

Has anyone used impulses in a live environment yet? Excluding AxeFX...btw... Curious to know if it would be feasible to run my Vetta (direct)-->Interface In-->PT LE8-->Waves IR1-->impulse file-->Interface Out-->DI-->FOH with little to no latency??? And would that be more of a processor issue or a plugin issue?

13. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

^Computer run systems are always very unreliable, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. It just doesn't seems worth it, I'd personally run a Palmer DI box instead. But that's just me.

14. armanikane

I'm sure they aren't the most reliable setup in the world *right now* but theoretically, in a perfect world, that should work no? I just cant help but think that if you had a hybrid drum kit Acoustic (real cymbals, hi hat)/Electric (triggered mesh heads) running SD2 direct into the FOH with guitar heads going through cab impulses running in whichever DAW you choose would be an incredible live setup and amazing sounding....

15. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I gigged an entire mini-tour with exactly what you describe. And no, it isn't incredible. It's awful. Unreliable, too many variables, and just sucks.

16. armanikane

What was the most unreliable aspect of that setup?

17. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Computers like to do whatever the fuck they want to do when they want to do it.

18. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

I don't think saying they're ALWAYS unreliable is true. Is a higher level of redundancy needed to compensate for the fact that everything is running through a very complicated "central hub"? Yes. Is a reliable computer run system possible? Yes. See NIN.

19. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

^Me having sex with Jessica Alba is also possible. Likely? Nah.

20. the unbearable

the unbearable doesn't djent, sorry

#3 most dangerous city in the U.S.... makes you fe
    I started this as its own thread and nobody cared. Should've put it here in the first place..

Low cpu ir loader... Has anyone else seen this? <hr style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" size="1"> LiquidSonics - Reverberate LE | Convolution Reverb for PC

LiquidSonics' Reverberate LE is a highly efficient convolution reverb audio processor without the modulation or true stereo capabilities of Reverberate. It is available in a standard CPU edition and a version taking advantage of NVIDIA CUDA for the main convolution processing tasks reducing CPU usage where a G80* and above compatible card is found in the system.
    Features and Specifications:

• Stereo convolution reverb
    • Zero latency CPU edition (or up to 8192 samples for lower CPU usage)
    • Low latency GPU edition (512 - 8192 samples delay)
    • Wav, Aiff and Flac support
    • ADSHR envelopes
    • 50%-150% stretch
    • Double oversampled IR-EQ
    • Pre-delay up to 500ms
    • GPU Edition utilises the power of NVIDIA CUDA