The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by FourFour, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Drow Swordsman

Drow Swordsman SS.org Regular

This may seem like a silly question, but I was thinking about getting the Pod Farm upgrade for my podxt, would that be compatible with impulses?

I figure in this combination, I could not only change my cab/mic combos with impulses through my DAW, but my tone too.

2. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

You're welcome, cgrady.:yesway:

Drow Swordsman- Yes it would work. Just make sure the cab sim in Podfarm is turned off.

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

i have no idea where to find the damn cooler tower impulse again, can´t remember what i searched for :scratch:

4. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

upload it man! If you have it on your PC, no need to try to find it on the internet!

5. Jak3

Jak3 Banned

Ya is there a way to use an impulse live, im trying to tweak but im getting tired of recording with no cab then listening with impulse then tweaking to my recordings over and over and over.

6. Karnidge

Karnidge SS.org Regular

same. bump

7. theunforgiven246

theunforgiven246 BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!

I made a thread about impulses a long time ago but I like yours better cause you did pictures! Good job! I guess when I made mine, impulses weren't as popular here as they are now. Impulses are fun as hell!

8. Jak3

Jak3 Banned

9. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Thanks John.

Jak3 and Karnidge- I'm just a dumbass metalhead so I'm not too sure about using impulses live.

But the Axe-fx and Revalver III can use impulses live. You will probably need to use a laptop and run revalver through it. Axe-fx is hardware so yea, just plug it into a PA or something. You will need to convert the wav. files into the Axe-fx format first.

There's probably some way to run it in your DAW live, let's wait for the experts to chime in.

Jak3- your tone is quite good man. A bit grainy and minor fuzz issue, aside from that maybe boost the mids a little to give it some clarity. It is a bit too bassy/woofy but I think its more the bass guitar so yea. Goodwork.:yesway:

10. Jak3

Jak3 Banned

Thanks, i was thinking the same thing about the fuzzyness, i just got a bass too soo.. prob got it to loud in the mix.

Is the fuzz a normal problem with these impulses, ive tried a ton and they all seem a bit fuzzy?

11. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Hey sorry for the late reply man.

The fuzz might be coming from your pre-amp signal. Try lowering your presence and gain.

Although I find that some impulses are just fizzy like hell, you can eq out the fizz most of the time.

12. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

My settings.. sorry it took so long.
    impulse - Recabinet Ghandi 4x12 (mesa oversize) EL34, cap 0.5" SM57. Remember tone to zero and dry to infinite both pre and post impulse so your crap pre-impulse sound doesn't bleed through.

equalizer - I used to use Waves Q6. Now I use Hydratone and a Q2.
    waves Q6 - high pass 80hz, low pass 11,500hz. 14dB boost Q about 1.0 at 6000hz. -1.5dB cut Q 2.0 at 240hz.
    Hydratone - using all USA models on all bands and master. Basically the same EQ settings except the treble boost is 9dB instead of 14 and I use the heat knob to add some sizzle. Then I run into the Waves Q2 just to high pass and low pass.

but the secret sauce of a good guitar tone is an awesome bass tone ;) I recommend the Ampeg VST

If your interface supports it, you can set up monitoring inside your DAW. So instead of only hearing the raw signal, you'd hear the processed one. Unfortunately it varies from DAW to DAW, interface to interface, on how exactly you need to set things up.. with my old Edirol UA-25 in Cubase SX3, all I had to do was uncheck the direct monitoring box in my device setup.

13. timothydog76

timothydog76 Tandjentian

Hello there,

I first heard about cabinet impulses a little over a year ago but didn't really get to try it until recently. I downloaded a bunch of free impulses but also purchased the Recabinet library. For 40 bucks, it is a steal and there are supposed to be a couple big free upgrades soon. The i5 and D6 mic's sound great. You can get an UNBELIEVABLY chunky sound with the D6 after applying some mid-low scooping in EQ.

I'm running my guitar through my ENGL Powerball preamp, out through the FX send, into my Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer and then into my DAW PC via M-Audio Delta 24/96. It can't be said enough: keep your cabinet plugged into the amp to prevent damage!

I'm running Sonar 7PE and started working with Perfect Space which is really nice but has a very large amount of lag when doing input monitoring. I plan on trying one of the free ones this weekend with no lag. At the very least, I will use the lag-free plugin to monitor my guitars while recording so I don't have to listen to an awful guitar sound coming directly out of the preamp. When mixing, I will probably switch back to Perfect Space.

14. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Nice one, Sakeido! Are those settings for your Engl?

Cool info Tim, thanks for sharing.

15. timothydog76

timothydog76 Tandjentian

Just reporting back. Last night I tried real time input monitoring using keFIR. Worked like a charm! I'm looking forward to laying some tracks down soon.

16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Yes those are the very same settings I used for Requited. The short mix test I recently posted I used slightly different settings but I didn't think they were an improvement so I'm going back to what I had before.
    I forgot to mention that using the Hydratone I don't have the cut in the lows.. only with the Waves Q6 do I do that.

17. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

same thing here, it's so great!, you can ever hear the "distortion" peak that the mic naturally gives, it's soooo amazing!

18. TimothyLeary

TimothyLeary Tune in, Drop out

I want to use impulse but im in mac and the laconvolver that has been said here, doesn't work in cubase because is only AU not VST. So if anyone have another suggestion, please tell here!!

Thank

19. HANIAK

HANIAK 7 string addict

:bump:
    This thread should be stickied!

20. -K4G-

-K4G- Go Auckland Blues!

:agreed:

Mods?