The Impulse FAQ/Tutorial Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by FourFour, Feb 27, 2009.

1. shinderhizzle84

shinderhizzle84 SS.org Regular

Okay, I think I understand. So say I used Guitar Rig 3 or 4 as my distortion, adding an impulse on top of it would help improve the sound quality? Or will the improvement be so minimal that it's not even truly worth it?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Huge improvement. Guitar Rig has cabs, so you'd turn them off. A good quality impulse is 100x better than the cab simulation offered in Guitar Rig.
    Example signal chains;

Guitar Rig head>Guitar Rig cab
    Guitar Rig head>Impulse
    Guitar Rig tubescreamer>Poulin LeGion amp head simulation>Impulse

Last one will usually net the best results. Guitar Rig's heads aren't the greatest for distortion though I have heard a few very impressive recordings with it.

3. shinderhizzle84

shinderhizzle84 SS.org Regular

Thanks for all of the help, man, it has been much appreciated so far. If you don't really like Guitar Rig then what do you suggest? I remember trying out Revalver MkIII and hating it, I even downloaded a crapton of fan-collected presets from guitarampmodeling and was shocked at how fuzzy and low quality the distortion quality was. It sounded like I was playing out of a low-end knockoff line 6 amp. But then again, I didn't have any impulses to use ;)

What settings do you recommend? I'm definitely looking into recording djent but also melodic death metal/viking metal. Any recommendations for distortion suites as well as specific impulses and settings for those tones? I'm completely new to all of this so if you don't have any specific ideas and think I should fool around myself, could you at least be so kind as to point me in the right direction towards what I should be experimenting with to get some higher quality sounds? Of course, playing out of a $100 Fender Strat can only get my band so far, but my guitarist is getting a $2000 7-string guitar very, very soon and we'll be recording with that ;)

4. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

download some of Poulin's amp sims, his stuff is ace, i love the Le456, brutal and high gain, tight like ENGL amps. that and some impulses and you're set. there's even some better over drive sims you can get for free of the web.

i find the free stuff sounds better than what most companies have come up with

5. Winspear

Haha yeah your lack of a cab would be the problem there! I haven't tried MkIII but I know it's pretty good. +1 for Poulin amp heads.
    Redwirez impulses are awesome. Can't go wrong with something standard like a Mesa cab but play around :)

6. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

People. I have a question. Do you guys do any post EQing when you use, say LePou ampsims with, say, Catharsis-Awesometime impulses? Or do you only do the standard hi-pass-low-pass jazz?

7. Winspear

Always some post EQ. Specific cabs will always have some low resonance to get rid of, and low/mid/high controls on the amp head are not enough to finely remove a little bit of the spectrum for the snare etc. Plus with some slight EQ you can make it sound quite a bit better by itself even if letting other instruments cut is not an issue.

8. nateispro

nateispro SS.org Regular

I love the LePou plugins! they sound great!!! does anyone know if they're are any VHT/Fryette amp plug-ins?

9. 7Mic7

7Mic7 SS.org Regular

First of all, thank you guys for all those great infos !

Second ,

I have read all the thread and i havent found much about how you guys dial your EQ on the guitar track. For myself i use cubase 5 essential and i dial my signal like that : pod farm tubescreamer> le456> kefir using engl impulse and i have some trouble removing the fizziness with the equaliser in my initial tone.
    How do you guys procced?

10. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Just a hi/lo pass will clear up the tone by a lot. After that, it's up to you whether you wanna do some surgical EQ to remove specific fizz spikes. Also, make sure you are using good impulses haha, just do a search over at the sneap forum.

11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

DIRECT LINKS
    BURNY's Mesa OS 6505 HR Impulses
    Burny Mesa OS 6505 HR.rar - Speedy Share - upload your files here

Signal's God's Cab v1.3
    http://www.signalsaudio.com/free/Signals_Gods_Cab_1.3.zip

GuitarHack's Impulses
    http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

Noarin's Diezel V30 SM57 Impulses
    found in this megafolder of impulses which also includes some of the others
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Ola Englund's Savage V30 Impulse
    http://www.feared.se/crap/savage-V30_dc.wav

PAGES
    Must become a member of GuitarModeling.com to get these (at least from these links)

Official Sperimental Impulses Pack
    GuitarAmpModeling.com • View topic - [LAST UPDATE] Official Sperimental Impulses Pack

Brohymn's Mesa 4x12 SM57 V30
    GuitarAmpModeling.com • View topic - 24 New Mesa 4x12 Impulses

12. Jacobine

Jacobine SS.org Regular

Idk how to download/ install Boogex or SIR1

i download it and it goes into winrar and i extract it into the Cubase 5 folder VST Plugins but it wont let me.

not know what do.

13. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

It's not a vst instrument plug in.

When you open Cubase, make an audio track.

Inserts > Boogex/w.e you use > select impulse.

Monitor the sound. Done.

14. Jacobine

Jacobine SS.org Regular

how do i download it it wont do anything but go onto winrar and then its just the application extention not the actual application.

15. Winspear

^ Have you installed VST's before and understand what they are? I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there is no application. Just a .dll file that you put in the Cubase folder.

16. Winspear

^ Have you installed VST's before and understand what they are? I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there is no application. Just a .dll file that you put in the Cubase folder.

17. Jacobine

Jacobine SS.org Regular

oh so there is no application just the extention. where in the cubase folder do i put it. VST connections? (feels like a dumb question)

18. Jacobine

Jacobine SS.org Regular

I totally got it now thanks bros!!!!!:DDDDD

19. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Gear Junkie

well sweet jumping Jesus why havent I tryed this before just downloaded the Gods Cab and a couple other plugins and I can say this will make my attempt at learning to record soooo much easier hahaha its like night and day.

Love it....

20. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

Hey all!

So, I'm gearing up for another gear purchase... SERIOUSLY considering the Axe FX as nothing seems to compare to what it can do...

On the buyer's guilt side, I keep thinking of smaller investments instead...

Perhaps a bunch of impulses and VST and find some sort of stand alone VST player that will play them in real time with no latency... something like this:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/v-machines

I know the Axe Fx has open slots for impulses/VST, as does that Digitech Gsp1101, yes?

Are there any other units out there that can play in real time as opposed to being used just to record?