The "I'm quitting smoking and need support" thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Pezshreds, Aug 14, 2013.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I haven't had a proper cigarette in two months and change. I get nasty cravings when I'm drinking, but I can bum a single drag and usually get rid of them. It's been pretty easy when I'm not drinking, so drinking less has helped as well. "lukewarm turkey" I guess you could call it. Cannabis has been of great assistance in both smoking and drinking less.

2. Pezshreds

Pezshreds SSBRO.org Regular

Yeah I'm going to try the lukewarm turkey haha.
    I don't smoke weed, but do you vapourize the weed or smoke it green?

3. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

My usual preferred method is to put it through a grinder and smoke it green. Vape/edibles is the way to go if you are worried about smoke inhalation, but I'm not really, and I've got a romantic attachment to my glass. Also, a large part of my cig addiction was definitely the oral fixation, which the pipe helps with a ton. Often literally all I need is to smoke on something for a few seconds and the craving passes. I was going to buy an e-Cig to help myself, but after a week of smooth sailing I just stuck with the pipe.

I guess once could say I'm replacing one vice with another, but one is vastly less damaging than the other and I feel like is actually helping my addiction. Cigarettes made me feel sick and anxious all the time and have no redeeming qualities, cannabis generally is the opposite.

4. Pezshreds

Yeah I know what you mean dude.

I got my e-cig yesterday though annnnnnnnnnnd..................it's great.

still getting used to the taste (Which I'm not a huge fan of yet) but it helped me a lot last night.
    I consumed a fair amount of beer, but only had 1 cigarette and just puffed on the e-cig at my computer desk. The best part was not having to get up every half an hour to go outside for a cigarette haha.

I definitely believe this e-cig will be what helps me quit (I'll probably get addicted to the e-cig though haha). I should've just listened to you guys all along haha.

I'll keep an update progress of how I go with the e-cig.

5. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I've stopped buying them, but still can't say no if I'm offered :lol:

It just doesnt even occur that I don't want to smoke them anymore until after I've accepted and lit-up.. It's just a casual thing I do now haha.

6. Pezshreds

As long as you can keep it casual man. I have a very addictive personality, so it's hard for me to say yes just once and not smoke the next day haha.

Thanks to the e-cig, I've only had 1 cigarette today, and that was before 11am haha. I'm having some beers now and just having a go at the e-cig anytime I feel a craving. It's a nifty device.

7. 777timesgod

777timesgod SS.org Regular

Switch your addiction to guitar playing, the worse it is the better you'll get at shredding.:shred:

8. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Or, don't smoke and live a longer, healthier life....

9. wat

wat SS.org Regular

3 years with not a single puff of a cigarette for me.

First I switched to American spirits to get off the sodium and other chemicals in the more common brands that are as addictive as the nicotine itself.

Then started rolling my own because it was cheaper.

From there I switched to electric ciggs for a month or so, weaned off of those and I was done.

10. Hammer

Hammer SS.org Regular

The e-cig is definitely a good investment. I've had about 10 "normal" cigarettes since late April. They all felt gross. I actually had one a couple of months back, just out of pure curiosity. It was awful then, even though it was one of my favorite brands. I started on the e-cig using some flavors, but I switched to imitation tobacco because if goes better with beer and coffee. I like the fact that you can have a couple of drags and poof, no more cravings. Another good thing about them is that my clothes no longer reek of ash tray when I'm back from a night out. I'm currently reducing the nicotine in the juice. I think that by 2014 I'll be a non-smoker again. I'm already saving money as it is, can't wait to have 0 smoking costs :D. I'll probably enjoy a cigar occasionally, but since I only have one like 3 times a year I'm sure it won't be that much.

11. Kidneythief

Kidneythief SS.org Regular

Hehe I started a similar thread a couple of Months earlier here and then failed miserably :D

Now I'm at it again, smoked my last one on Sunday 11pm. Since then nothing, except the occasional hookah/shisha/nargile, call it what you want :)
    I'm somehow amazed as how good I'm doing this time, only had a couple of fights with my girlfriend. Cravings are getting better, need to hit the gym, or go running because I don't want to become lazy :D

12. thebunfather

thebunfather Custom Monkey

I'm about a month with no cigs. However, I'm taking Chantix (when I remember to). As much as I absolutely hate pharmaceuticals, it really does work. Aside from vivid, lucid dreams (which I kinda like), I haven't had any side-effects.

I tried the e-cigs too, but couldn't make it work with them. Glad to hear it's working for some people, though!

13. Pezshreds

UPDATE TIME
    As of last Thursday, I stopped smoking completely and started using the e-cig full time.
    It's been going great, apart from on Sunday. Was at my drummers house, the bloody thing ran out of battery (I thought I had charged it fully saturday night) and I had a few cigs while having beers with him until I could get home and charge it.
    So as of tomorrow (not counting the slip up on Sunday as I didn't really choose for it to die haha) I will have been 1 week without any cigs :D

Yay for e-cig.

14. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

I need to try those.

*free shrugs*
    [​IMG]

15. Pezshreds

Can lose weight in the sauna process too haha.
    The e-cigs are still giving me the nicotine, so I'll slowly ween myself off them.

Better to be chugging the e-cig as opposed to normal cigs though

16. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Good work man! Be sure to put the funds you save away in jar/bank account. I quit smoking about 5mnths ago. It was hard but well worth it and with the funds ive saved i have bought a tone of tools for the shed, upgraded my custom 7 string order and last week i bought a Cole Clark FL2AC3 acoustic.

17. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

I smoked my last cigarette in March. I think you should go cold turkey. No substitutes. Wether if you decrease the amount of cigarettes or go with one of those e-things, the habit must be killed.

All you're doing now is spending the day looking out for your next shot and making it harder for yourself by decreasing the frequency. So you've patiently waited 4 hours for your next shot of e-cig nicotine, and the battery is dead. Oh no! Panic! Disaster! Just get it over with.

By now, you have probably discovered what it is that triggers you. A "reward" after hard work, or "preparation" before doing something challenging, or as an escape, or to kill time/boredom.

That self-knowledge can help you to fight the habit and replace the cigarette with anything else that fits the situation.

What I also did was sort of program myself.
    Not: "I have quit smoking" but say "I don't smoke" instead. It also makes killing any unwanted conversations about smoking lots easier.

18. Pezshreds

Some very good points dude. Like the one saying "I don't smoke".

I've tried to stop, and yes it's shit that I'm using an e-cig, but I'm going to try ween myself off that too. But I figure it's better to try ween off something that isn't giving me cancer for now haha. So I've found a short term solution for my health, now need to work towards a longer one :D

19. Pezshreds

So, unfortunately I went back on the ciggies last year (I broke my vape pen)

But I am happy to announce, I am 13 weeks smoke free.

With the help of vapourisers, I have managed to go without for a full 13 weeks straight, and I don't even remotely crave a cigarette anymore!

Yes, it's replacing it with another habit, however, nothing is as bad as cigarettes. Yay for life.