The "I'm quitting smoking and need support" thread

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Pezshreds, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Pezshreds

Pezshreds SSBRO.org Regular

Good luck dude! I'm not quite past the pre quit patches (Start normal patches next friday) so no more smoking as of then.

I slipped up yesterday and had about 9 smokes :(
    But still cutting down from the reg.

Hopefully you succeed at quitting deadweight.

2. DeadWeight

DeadWeight New Age Bogan

Thanks pez! I'm gonna try and go cold turkey. I normally smoke between 5 and 8 a day, so I'm not too bad, but the last pack I bought i told myself it'd be my last, and now I'm down to my last one! Don't know whether to have it with a coffee in the morning or save it for when I really really need it.

Good luck, be strong mate! :yesway:

3. Pezshreds

Good luck dude, cold turkey is tough ahha.
    DON'T HAVE IT WITH YOUR COFFEE.
    I always made sure I had 3-4 cigarettes spare around the house just in case I had a mega craving, that way I could have 1, feel gross about it, and not have to buy a whole pack for just one smoke and tempt myself more :yesway:

4. Pezshreds

Small update.

Have been doing okay.
    Since starting the patches I've had on average 6 cigarettes a day, with the most being 8 in a day (I didn't actually use my patches on the weekend and still had no more than 7)
    So I'd say this is a pretty good start to quitting! More than half what I originally smoked in a matter of a week.

Hopefully I can stick it out, and further reduce the amount I smoke starting next week.

:D

5. shanike

shanike SS.org Regular

quit the stuff all together, don't just limit your consumption.
    some generic nicotine chewing gums helped me a lot during those first 2 weeks.

6. Pezshreds

I'm doing pre quit patches, which you use for 2 weeks before continuing the normal patches. It's basically to help you slowly reduce the amount of cigarettes you smoke over 2 weeks and then stop completely. I tried the gum, but I never found it effective :( I'd have mega cravings regardless of how much gum I had

7. DeadWeight

DeadWeight New Age Bogan

Well today was my first day in a long time without having a cigarette. Gotta say, it ....ing sucked! Haha. Had cravings all day, but managed to turn one down when a mate offered, which felt good (or at least that's what I told myself anyway.) Got mid-semester exams coming up very soon, not looking forward to tackling them without the help of nicotine, but we'll see what happens:shrug:

8. Pezshreds

Good work dude!
    Have you told your mates you're quitting? I told my one smoker work mate who I always had lunch with, and he refused to give me one haha (I asked once every 2-3 days for months haha)

Keep at it dude! I'll be feeling your pain as of next saturday haha

9. DeadWeight

DeadWeight New Age Bogan

Yeah a few of them know, my best mate recently quit, so that's what's kind of given me the motivation to try and give it up for good. That, and finding out one of my uncles has lung cancer:ugh:

Keep at it too mate, every cigarette you don't have is doing you good (although maybe not mentally haha)

10. Pezshreds

Ah man I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle :(

Well we can quit together! even though you're one week ahead of me haha.

11. ayaotd

ayaotd SS.org Regular

I have quit since April 13th 2011! To anyone who is trying, trust me, it gets easier!

12. Pezshreds

Congrats dude! It's definitely difficult at the start haha.
    This is my second serious time quitting (last time was 10 months) definitely got a shit tonne easier after around 2 months once the phlegm and being sick all the time started to cease

ayaotd likes this.
  13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Hello, my name is Andromalia, I'm 40 and started smoking at 15. :D
    I still enjoy smoking, which is a real problem seeing the health issues that come with it. I have tried to quit half heartedly a few times but never succeeded.

I tried ecigs lile 5 years ago and they weren't very good, and when I moved to Ireland they wouldn't deliver there anyway so I left it at that.

A few months ago, there was an epidemic of ecig users in my company so I gave it another try. Holy ù$^*ù$. I Documented a bit so as not to buy a bad brand or model.

I went with a "starter" kit to try it, got two ego batteries, an assortment of liquids (some are good, some are awful, personal taste here it seems) and a Stardust clearomiser.

blablablah....haven't touched a cigarette in THREE MONTHS. That was something like Science-fiction just neforehand.

Next challenge was to rid my place of cold tobacco smell and that was easier said than done but I'm good now.

I'm not saying it's going to work for everyone, but it cerainly works for me. Plus, I get attention from the ladies "oooh what's that thing" which, given the general shape of the item, can lead to some not-so-subtle hintings during parties. :D
    the con: smoking girls. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

If you still enjoy smoking, but just want not to destroy your health, I'd advise you to give this a try. It likely is not without any bad effects but those are:
    -Not documented and uncertain
    -Way less than "real" tobacco anyway.

Just don't start it to be fashionable if you're a non smoker.

I have taken a good measure of my breath back, and could take up sports again thanks to it.

Try it, just don't skimp on a few dollars you'll likely endup with an entry level piece of poodoo.

14. aerodynamics

aerodynamics Brings the Jams

Definitely on lines with the dude above me. I switched to ecigs after a 5 year pack a day habit and it's pretty easy to not have one now.

15. Pezshreds

Really good work dude :)
    I'm going to see how I go without the e-cig (I've been smoking for 14 years).
    If I find it too difficult, then I'll buy one and stick with that and try and cut down.
    At least that will be a solution if the patches don't work :)

16. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Another vote for the ecig here, Ive just started using it and it has helped alot! I went from about 15 smokes a day to 2. I dont even smoke the ecig that much, just when I get a craving take a few little puffs and im good. hope to be totally off the real smokes within the next week. Then we see how hard it is to stop the ecig :p

17. Pezshreds

So I failed the patches miserably haha.
    I've taken all your advice (finally) and bought an E-Cig which is currently waiting to be picked up at the post office.
    I got the standard tobacco flavour and I'm going to start using it tonight. So hopefully it helps out.
    I feel like a bit of a douche now saying no to e-cig for 2 weeks just to buy one once I was meant to stop smoking on the patches haha. You live and learn I guess.

18. riffer_madness

riffer_madness SS.org Regular

We all have a date with the dirt. Smoke, drink, f#@k, ja@koff as much as you can, as often as you can. Leave a fully used-up meatsack behind when you go.

19. Leveebreaks

Leveebreaks Dooooooooom

Good luck with the ecig Pez, but as others have said the amount you say you drink on a daily basis is probably doing you way more damage in the long run. I know a few people who use the ecigs, and they seem to work. It is weird watching them puff away indoors though without a care in the world while all the other smokers are out on the street.

20. Pezshreds

Yeah dude. I'm hoping that by doing the e-cig it will help me cut down on my drinking amount too :)
    So glad I'll be able to use the e cig inside haha