the Harley Benton TE-7 Fanfret

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dyster, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

so i wanted to say a few words about this instrument, the general quality, price and playability when i got it so first things first:

this is a cheap guitar i bought more or less on a whim, its a fanfret 7 string telecaster with reverse headstock and a kinda cool veneer top. how bad could it possibly be?
    price paid was around 270 euro shipped+25% import tax, possibly the cheapest guitar ive owned since adolescense hah.

it arrived undamaged, packaged alright but could have been sturdier for such a long trip.
    setup was descent, string action a bit high for my taste but completely playable. neck straight enough, just required the slightest of trussrods tweaks.
    fit and finish was for the most part quite good. the finish on the body itself was spotless, the neck cavity and neck joint fits snug and perfect.
    the frets while level looks like they had been leveled and rounded with a bastard file and you could easily hear the strings scraping against the frets when playing and the nut was completely butchered by whoever cut it.
    there were a few rough spots on the neck where they had not sufficiently sanded it.
    the stock pickups made acceptable noises and were descent for a sub 300 euro guitar.

what ive done since recieving it is removing those imperfections on the neck, fixed the nut to the best of my ability but i might still replace it further down the line, ive done quite a bit of fretwork to smooth those out to a mirror polish and done some minor edge rounding aswell as giving the back of the neck a round with 1200 grit sandpaper. i also put in a set of fishmans tosin abasi sig pickups because why not :D i didnt do the prettiest job routing out the pickup cavities to fit the new pickups but i can live with that.
    i also put in a killswitch and moved the tone/volume further down and out of my way when playing.

after all ive put maybe 500-550 euro total into this guitar and it plays looks and sounds excellent. 43493542_272676980030424_6528441059758833664_n.jpg the guitar has a slight case of neckdive wich can be a issue for some but not really for me, its also rather heavy but i usually play sitting in the classical "over the left knee" position.

43500786_264118644244045_8670164555319476224_n.jpg 43510981_170611027200595_5034397288110227456_n.jpg the locking tuners are a nice touch, i havent decided if its worth changing those out yet. they have done the job so far
    43537934_354333428644819_1306379371832934400_n.jpg some wood has chipped around the sides of the nut when it was initially filed, ive done my best to smooth out rough edges but the D string groove in particular is too wide for rough bending and makes unpleasant noises when i do. might still replace this later on...

43688245_1875056769216114_4418235992721326080_n.jpg finish on the back is transparent black, you can see the grain of the ash in good lighting
    te7tosin.jpg
    you can kinda see my less than impressive dremel work here. not my proudest work but it only really shows up close. the re-routed cavities are shielded with conductive paint.

the "Roceacer" fretboard material kinda looks like ebony to me. its much darker than any of my rosewood guitars and the grain only really ever shows up during cleaning, after applying oil it just appears uniformly dark almost black, i kinda dig it tbh

TLDR;
    cheap 250 euro guitar, has solvable quality issues, awesome after putting a set of 250 euro pickups and spending maybe 3-4 hours working on it.
    will likely be my daily beater for a long time moving forward as my other 7 string needs a refret

2. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

WHOAH!!! I love the look of the multi-scale on a tele!! I wish we had something like this in the states. Unfortunately shipping one of these to me makes it out of my price range! Very clean take on a classic design!

3. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

isnt it just 35 usd or smth to have up to 3 guitars shipped overseas?

4. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

That will show me to be afraid! You are absolutely right! I will definitely be looking into this! Thanks

5. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

if im gonna be perfectly honest ill be both surprised and disappointed if these dont sell well. they are (even out of the box) fantastic value in a niche thats mainly filled by superstrats

JimF and Zhysick like this.
  6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Just wait until the stainless steel fret models hit the stores. I'm going to be looking out for those.
    RondoMusic.com has been kinda stale with the Agile offerings lately. Harley Benton is basically the European version counterpart to them for cheap but decent/acceptable guitars.

7. TheShade0110

TheShade0110 SS.org Regular

I was excited when I saw the Epic series. But they've only had two runs of them and neither had any left handed models or lasted very long. It'll be difficult for me to resist an Epic if there's a lefty release soon.

Defyantly likes this.
  8. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

I too wanted an epic!!! Unfortunately only saw them on the site for like 3 days or so....