The HAARP Machine is Back...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by musicaldeath, Aug 1, 2016.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Or, you know, the videos from the first tour.....or how playing live is such a chore that he just fires everyone before a performance to cancel a show.....
    I don't care either way, but the audio in that video is in no way coming directly off a guitar like that.

lewis and r33per like this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I thought good music was subjective. :scratch:

No, I mean guitarists who actually play their guitars and do tours with bands and things of that nature. You know, the hard work part of being a "good guitarist."

3. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

The part I quoted said "can" play, not "could" play, and Al's recent live shows and playthrough videos shows that he can play stuff he couldn't play before.

Indeed it is, and I would assume that people who are listening to the guys music and are waiting for him to release new material think his music is good, otherwise there wouldn't be much point in listening to his music. Unless you're a forum dweller who scans playthrough videos meticulously to spot anything that could be used as proof that the guy is a fraud, but there surely wouldn't be any people like that on here, would it?

Sure, the guy is good, but I don't think he's gotten better over the past 6 years by not playing his guitar, unless he has some kind of jedi powers to be able to learn how to play without touching his instrument. And since when do you have to do tours to be a good guitarist? Are all the people who can play circles around Al but apparently don't get any exposure because Al has scammed us all into liking his music not good guitarists because Al himself is apparently responsible for them not being able to go on tours?

4. Slunk Dragon

Slunk Dragon Gear Nerder

Shedding was a decent song, holding out for possibly some cooler material.

5. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Dude, I feel like you’re totally misunderstanding where Bostjan is coming from :lol:

I’m not sure if you’re vehemently defending Al Mumin or what; you sound personally offended by it. I think (and correct/forgive me if I’m wrong in speaking for you) Bostjan was just pointing out that he was surprised people still give a (relative) shit about THM due to the time it’s been since their last record and the whole “can’t actually play” debacle. I think his ability to play that stuff now is sort of irrelevant to what Bostjan was saying.

6. Zalbu

This is what he's saying
    The guy genuinely seems unaware that you can become better at your instrument if you spend 6 years practicing it and thinks just because he turned out to be a fraud before then he should have no chance to redeem himself and actually prove that he knows how to play, and that Al himself is somehow responsible for other guitarists that are as good as Al or better not getting their spot in the limelight. If I'm reading it wrong then he's not doing a very good job at getting his thoughts across in text.

7. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Given his history it would be nice for him to actually post a play thorough, regardless of how immensely difficult it is to get lighting and other BS right. That would silence a lot of issues and then people could just bicker about whether they like the music or not, rather than whether the dude actually play what he composes.

8. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

All things set aside and fwiw I would still like to listen a new album. Whenever that may be.

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Not really a fan of these pseudo music videos anyway. I wish more people would do what Aaron Marshall did and just go on a livestream and play a few songs in one take. Actually, if you use a bunch of layering or patch changing or whatever I think it's also fine to do a video of segmented takes. If the focus is going to be on the guitar playing then maybe it's better to actually play the guitar, and if the focus is on the music video you can probably do a lot better than a sweaty dude sitting on a stool in his bedroom.

10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I'm not trying to stir any shit or anything but who out there is writing music like Al? I'm constantly on the search for new music and have never heard anyone that sounds like Al. The closest I've found is Sol 2183 but thats mostly recorded at half-speed(like it even matters) and its not even the guys main project so newer music from him most likely wont happen. The music thats in those mimed play-throughs is always that same overly bright and snappy clean tone with the same kind of huge sounding chords drenched in reverb that gets old after 30 seconds.

He's got videos of him playing the material but no one wants to accept that he can actually play what he writes now since the halfspeed-can't play what you write-GuitarPro Metal circle jerk that surrounds him and Lucas Mann is just as strong as ever.

11. InvertedEarth

InvertedEarth SS.org Regular

Are they ever going to release new material?

12. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Fair enough, you just seemed to be taking personal offense to the idea that once someone is shown to be a fraud, it's pretty damn hard to have that redemption lol.

But really, like you said, music is subjective so....fuck it lol

13. vent187

vent187 SS.org Regular

Not being a fan of this band/guy but still clicking on the thread to spew hate, is like not being a fan of Les Pauls but still going to those threads and complaining about the scale length.

couverdure likes this.
  14. Zalbu

He did actually play on the last play through he did, and people were still going on about how it looked "sped up" because he shot the video in a high frame rate and that he stitched it together note for note and God knows what. It doesn't matter what the guy dooes when there's people who are genuinely unaware that you can become better at your instrument after practicing for 6 years.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

THIS x10000

I personally know the Session Drummer he shafted on last years Tech Fest late cancellation.
    My bands vocalist has been friends with the dude for years. So we were abit closer to this situation than most.

Therefore, it isnt just about coming in spewing hate for no reason. I can tell you that he took some musicians who worked super hard and were super excited to try playing such technical and challenging music live, and last minute just cancelled everything because of a bunch of feeble reasons. (not being ready apparently?. He may not have been through laziness but the others certainly were - the drummer had been rehearsing solid for MONTHS)

end of the day, this dude would be much much better just doing clinics and remaining a Youtube guitarist type thing rather than try and gig with a whole lineup of humans. His personality just does not seem compatible with juggling a band of personalities plus his "its my band my schedule" type attitude, it just never works out.

Infact why does he not just try gigging with everything bar him on a backing track?

GunpointMetal and cwhitey2 like this.
  16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm sure Milli Vanilli got better in the six years after their debacle as well, but no one cared.

Since the Haarp Machine and Rings of Saturn, that's when. Now you have tons of players who are doing the same thing without even bothering to record any real instruments at all, and it shows, but it still seems very effective at fooling the undiscerning ear. There was a thread just days ago with a youtube video of a guy clearly pantomiming over MIDI. Now, maybe the guy who pantomimes over MIDI can play and maybe not, but either way the video, to me , seemed really cheap. While I can give Al Mumin a fair amount more credit than that, there's still the fact that he was called out for his shenanigans of recording parts slow and speeding them up beyond the point where he could physically play them. You get caught doing shit like that and you shouldn't expect everyone to give a standing ovation when you release a mimed video.

Holy run-on sentences, Batman!

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Yeah if people could provide some examples that would be awesome. That riff at 0:46 is one of the freshest and emotively stirring pieces of music I've heard on guitar in years. Closest I can think of is some bits from Protest the Hero's Pacific Myth, mainly Harbinger. The integration of ethnic instruments in Al's music is effortless to which gives it such a unique sound. When other artists try to do that it just sounds cluttered and needless, looking at you Jari Maenpaa.

If you guys think modern metal is heavily edited and full of studio magic go see an American band called PVRIS live. Without a doubt the worse band I've ever seen live, clear miming to backing tracks, singer had a fraction of the range displayed on the album and sang about 1/3rd of the vocals then turned around to let the backing track finish or the crowd take over, keyboards all over the stage but barely being used despite constant solo piano tracks intros and outros played over the PA. Just showed how much auto tuning and editing was used on their albums. Its rampant across every genre nowadays now that the tools are available to everyone.

vent187 and Winspear like this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no excuse to mime vocals and have keyboard/ists that dont actually play them etc.

my band however, through lack of appropriate drummers in are area, are planning as we speak to gig with Drums on backing track.
    As well as strings.

Guitars, vocals, bass etc will all be executed live and properly.
    I think thats the limit personally (I am biased though as Im going this route) but I would never ever condone miming.
    Ive gigged with a band who did exactly like you described and it was both hilarious and cringey in equal measures.

Turned up with Dual Axe FX IIs and looked like they had all the top end razamatazz..

then mimed most of their songs and had 90% of it backing tracked.
    Was ridiculous.

19. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That was some of the most annoying and ear fatiquing wonky djenty riff I've heard in a long time... :coffee: in the song called Shedding. Just saying... no one should care about it anyway... oh well :shrug:

20. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Unless it's a Kpop girl group I don't want to see any miming on stage. It's one thing to run a drum or bass backing track because you don't have an actual player, but to have a person with an instrument and just faking it? lmao