The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I have one guitar with Moderns, and it's legit the tightest and "fastest" guitar I got.

On the other hand, I put the Moderns in another guitar, and it was mud city.

They just seem really fucking picky about the guitar.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

the moderns aren't any faster/clearer than the m6 or elysians ime. i guess for people used to muddier pickups they're super clear.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

demo of the merrow set by keith

4. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

5. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

The pickups sound pretty nice, but what I'm really interested in is that chorus/vibrato effect he's using for the cleans. It sounds so deep and wet. Teehee.

6. Stuck_in_a_dream

Strobe likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Am i the only one who much preferred 6 year ago Merrow? He has gotten seriously mature with his writing his production and recording skills are top notch now.

But i just preffered his older style. Way groovier/bouncier and more memorable. Alot of this new stuff is like too slow/eerie for my tastes. Iike i say. Grown up music.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

To be brutally honest, I never really liked his music or style. I like him, I like his guitars, and I really like his tone, but I just never got into his music.

9. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Question for you knowledgable guys.. if I have a modern set, and I try to use the same wiring and put the new Open Cores in (just to test, before I install in another guitar later) - will that work?

The open Core's have the Single coil / ground where the Modern has HF Tilt and ground in the same places... wonder if that'll make a diff? Wonder if I should hmm.

10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I'm pretty positive this would work just fine as long as it's setup as a push pull config.

11. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

curious, is the universal battery pack bigger than a 9V?? I'm considering getting one for my Kiesel HH7 potentially (if I keep these pickups in there) but the 9V doesnt really fit, esp with the 2 push-pull setup of the open cores.. Wonder if the universal battery would fit but I am doubting it, based on pictures (not the connector jack, but the battery itself)

no dimensions on the site.

12. Defmelonn

Defmelonn SS.org Regular

I got the steff set for both 7 and 6 strings. Amazing sounding pick ups.

13. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

He's grown tremendously and he deserves the success he's attained, but I'm with you, his older stuff was more memorable.

lewis and LeviathanKiller like this.
  14. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Yes. It's basically a phone batter + another thing that is about 2 phone batteries thickness. It's not as thick as a 9V battery, but it takes up more space overall. It's not really space saving - but it's super nice to have a low battery warning and the ability to recharge it so easily. Normally if I play live I change out my 9V's just to be safe. This saves out on a lot of batteries - just not space :-/

15. Iceblade

Iceblade SS.org Regular

Quick question...

For the Abasi 7's (non-soapbar), which I believe are the nickel and black nickel versions (Black Nickel - PRF-MS7-TB2 Nickel - PRF-MS7-TN2), does anyone know if I would need to route our the pickup cavity to stick them into my Ibanez RG7321? I know that it will likely require drilling at least one small hole for a toggle switch and I'll likely use a shop to do the work vs. doing it myself, but I just wanted to double check.

Thanks,
    Jeff

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yup. Need to route the corners to be more square. Maybe even widen it a bit.
    Hell, I had to do it with my PRS SVN, and that was supposed to fit covered pickups.

setsuna7 and Iceblade like this.
  17. Iceblade

Iceblade SS.org Regular

Thanks, man!

Regs,
    Jeff in Houston

18. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

I really wish, Fishman would offer the input jack usb charger that comes in the koche set and with the schecter km guitars,
    Come on fishman!

19. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

damn.. so I tried the Open Core 7 set in my new Kiesel Holdsworth 7 for a few weeks, with the intentions of sending the set to a guitar im having built, but it was so awesome.. Just couldnt fit much in the cavity (battery barely fit, could only do one pushpull) - then I put my fav, Dimarzio Liquifire in the guitar.. and it sounded like shit. I dunno if maybe the wood choices (walnut neck/alder body) or I wired it wrong.. but the Fluence's sounded much better... so I decided to spend the money, gonna order a Keith Merrow set for my custom build, and keep the Open Cores in the HH7. That will make three sets of 7s, with my Aristides having the moderns (happy with them too). Just too amazing for humbuckers.

I wonder how the single coil set is? Can it get take in enough gain to play metal? thats my concern on those. I might try it later on. damn I'm hooked.

Kyle Jordan and Strobe like this.
  20. Stuck_in_a_dream

^ FYI, this agrees with my own experience as well, when comparing Fishmans to other pickups. I have EMGs, and a few passive sets (Titan 7, SD APII/Custom custom, and the SD Pegasus/Sentient 7). With the exception of the Pegasus/Sentient set, all others sound like poop when compared with any of the Fishmans I have :D.

setsuna7 and Strobe like this.