The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. HairyNutsack69

HairyNutsack69 SS.org Regular

I went with all black hardware so for me the open cores went really well with the theme. What colour did you decide on? I went with the royal red.

2. CloudsUr

CloudsUr SS.org Regular

Anthracite grey with black hardware and black nickel PUs.
    My second choise (and hopefully next build) was actually Royal red with gold hardware

Flappydoodle likes this.
  3. HairyNutsack69

I thought about the anthracite too but upon seeing the red in person I decided to go with that one.
    I have really sweaty hands so i can only use black hardware or it'll look like shit after a year. Black nickel was my second choice but nickel again wears insanely fast for me.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So I just got the Moderns... I don't like them. :lol:

Compared to the EMG 81-7, the Modern Ceramic sounds weaker and thinner with a twangy sound I don't really like. Kinda like a single coil sound to it. The Modern Alnico sounded a bit better, but wasn't as tight as the 81. Keeping the 81 in as is.

EDIT: Anyone else found the Modern Ceramic lacking in output compared to the EMG 81? I wanna make sure I don't have a defective pickup.

EDIT2: Fuck it, I'm messaging for a refund anyway.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, just got in contact with the seller and they're going back. This pickup sounded nothing like the Modern in my Aria V OR in the PRS SE SVN I had months ago.

This actually makes me wanna try the Stef set, since they're supposed to be like the Moderns with more chunk.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Recently picked up a set of Abasi 7 strings: this guitar has been a pain getting pickups for, but these finally seem to have done the trick. I'll need to give them a bit longer to be sure, but loving them so far. Just might have saved it from being sold. Now to clear out some of the failed passive sets and maybe fund some 6 string Fishmans.

BUT, I feel I should point out if anyone's not already aware: the passive-sized 7 string pickups are about 1 mm longer than covered passives (in this case Bareknuckle Juggernauts). If your routing is snug, you might need to widen them. I ended up taking sandpaper to the guitar to install them. Ended up going fine and being barely noticeable, but it was nerve wracking.

Strobe likes this.
  7. Chad

Chad SS.org Regular

Not at all. I have several guitars with an 81 in the bridge. I actually messaged Fishman to inquire if they knew how much higher output the Modern ceramic was compared to an 81 because it seemed like a lot. Enough that I ran with the low gain -6db setting for awhile. I have since gone back to the normal gain setting.

TLDR; my experience was as far opposite as possible from yours. To the point that I wonder if something is defective with your pickup.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Righh, then I made the right call. It's going back.

9. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

I'm considering getting the open core classics for my Ibanez 652AHMFX, but I'm worried they may not be aggressive or modern enogh sounding for modern metal. I'm going for the classics due to aesthetics and tri-tabs, but I'd like to know that they can do what I'm looking for in a pickup! Currently I find the Tone Zone in the bridge a little unsatisfactory and muddy, and I want something tight and clear.

10. HairyNutsack69

You could consider the merrows, they are similar to the classics.

This track was recorded with the regular classics:

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  11. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Tosin Abasi 7 set is going back now
    Definitely preferred the Modern set a a bit over them and still prefer the Keith Merrow set over both by farrrrrrr

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Tosin and Javier are both playing at the Fishman booth for Fluence at NAMM. Hopefully this means we'll get open coil or regular humbucker sized 8 sets for Javier, or better yet 8 string single coils!

13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Fuck yea, Carillion :metal: Is that you? Track and tone was awesome.

14. HairyNutsack69

No I wish!
    He's probably the best metal oriented dutch guitarist out there so I follow his work quite a bit. Really neoclassical in his solo stuff and plays for the death metal (?) band Aborted that I dont really care for. But he used the classics with that project aswell, switched to merrows now.

15. LeviathanKiller

He's part of (or at least a collaborator with) Double Impact Productions who sells stuff like Kemper profiles. His Kemper profile packs are great imo

HairyNutsack69 likes this.
  16. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

So after a bit longer with the Abasi 7s, I'm considering some more Fishman...s(?) for some of my 6 strings. Thinking about the KSE, Merrow, Modern or Classic sets for a darker, warmer Ibanez SZ that could use some more oomf and tightness. Anyone have recommendations? Or at least an output comparison between those sets?

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

anyone got a wiring diagram for a Fishman Modern set with 1 volume push/pull pot doing the voicings and a 3 way pickup selector switch going to a normal 9volt battery clip?

The website seems a joke tbh

SlamLiguez likes this.
  18. LeviathanKiller

The Keith Merrow set is darker than the Modern and Abasi sets I have/had in swamp ash guitars jsyk
    The latter two were too bright for me actually so it's not that the KM set is dark, but fairly balanced imo

AirForbes1 likes this.
  19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Anything new from NAMM?

20. Chad

Chad SS.org Regular

I've seen peeps get frustrated with their instructions/site, but these pickups really aren't any different to install than other pickups. They have more options, sure, but the concepts are still the same. The battery gets wired up like any other active set. Wire the volume part of the push-pull pot like any single volume guitar. Wire the switch part of the push-pull like the Fishman site shows.

LeviathanKiller and Strobe like this.