The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I have the classics in a Les Paul - and they are definitely in the vein of the EMG57/66 set in voice 1. The classics are my favorite of the Fluence Line - I tend to like a brighter tone. I took out the 57/66 set in a 7 string for the moderns. It is a great set, but I had some noise issues with mine, which is weird for active pickups - they otherwise sounded fine. No complaints about the classics though - they sound awesome for just about everything to my ears - really my favorite pickups.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, don't let the name of the Classics fool you. They're plenty fucking aggressive. Just in a different way compared to the Moderns. Especially on voice 2.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  3. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I'd love to see a video of a comparison between the modern and classic in a metal way.
    It seems interesting. And I crazy love the sound of Satchel with the Fluence Classic set.

I have to admit that, I never been a fan of the EMG 81 sound. So maybe the modern bridge pickup is just not my type of pickup.
    I used to be a die hard of the blackout from 2010 to 2016. Then swapping to the 57, like it but want more output and quicker attack.
    Then buy a Fluence Modern and still think this pickup is meh...
    Maybe this pickup is just not my type of pickup.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

I need to do it eventually. It'll just be a pain in the ass since the Moderns are in a V... And that guitar is a bitch to take apart.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

once i get motivated i'll.make a comparison clip between the moderns/devy/classics

Kyle Jordan, lewis and Korneo like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'll probably do it tomorrow. Been needing to change the battery in my V anyway.

7. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Had the chance to test-drive the Charvel Satchel model lately. The strange thing is that the bridge pickup didn't look like a Fluence classic while the neck PU did. Meaning the neck PU had black chrome cover with black chrome pole pieces while the bridge PU looked exactly like a Devin, i.e. shiny black cover with (silver)chrome pole pieces!?!
    But whatever Fluence PUs they use for the Satchel model now (the guitar came directly from Mexico unopened), they sounded great, had high output, but didn't sound like the EMG57/66 set in my other guitar at all.

Korneo likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Did the bridge pickup sound bright or smoother? If it had lots of midrange with a smooth too end, it's the Dev. If it's super bright, tons of attack, it's the classic.

9. juka

juka SS.org Regular

IMG_1630.jpg

Yeah, you hit a point there. Although with it's full maple neck, alder body and Floyd it should have been on the very trebly site, but through the bridge PU it wasn't.
    I hope you can see on the pic what I meant about different looks: Neck pickup shows the typical Fluence Classic in black chrome look, bridge PU looks quite different and more like a Dev

Korneo likes this.
  10. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

This guy does some good videos with the moderns and classics back to back:

But if you want the best sounding demos on youtube, Josh Middleton is always awesome. I may have posted one of these before, my apologies if I did.

Here the classic.

And here is Josh with the modern

Side note regarding the Satchel signature. It's supposed to be the classics in there. Not sure which voice you are in, but both classic voices are pretty bright, V1 much more so. V2 chugs way more. You can find out what the pickup is easily from the bottom of it, but you would not have access to that in a store. The classics, moderns, and devin set can all have that black nickel finish, so it's one of those 3.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

If voice 1 had a tighter sound and more gain than voice 2, then it was a Devin bridge. If voice 1 was super bright and kinda scooped while voice 2 had more mids, more output, and a tighter sound, then it was a classic bridge.

The Moderns have no polepieces. The black Classics are fully black, cover and polepieces. The Devys are black covers with nickel polepieces.

I was assuming there was a fuckup at the fsctory where they accidentally put the nickel pole pieces on a black covered Classic, but it sounds like they might have actually put a Devy bridge in there.

AkiraSpectrum, Kyle Jordan and Strobe like this.
  12. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

Morning lads,
    Just a very quick test with the fishman Devin set and the music man valentine pickups with a built in silent circuit, can you tell the difference? -both are pretty pleasing sounds-

13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Devin's have more bass and are more pleasing to the ear standalone. I might pick the other ones for black metal though if I had to choose.

14. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Musician's Friend has the 8-string version of Keith Merrow's set now

15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

To the guys who have Modern sets, does your alnico neck hum or there is a bit of noise compared to the ultra quiet ceramic bridge? Mine does that. The alnico neck has a bit of noise compared to the ceramic bridge. Both of my sets have them and I think I did a proper install.

16. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I'll check later on when I get home but I don't recall having that issue.

17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

It's just minimal hum. It's still quiet relative to what yo expect from Fluence pups. But when I switch from bridge to neck, it becomes very apparent that the neck pickup is NOT AS QUIET as the bridge. The ceramic bridge is dead silent.